Mad River Glen Pics?

28 replies to this topic

#1 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

Hey everyone,
Does anyone have pictures of the newly refurbished Mad River Glen Single? I can't seem to find any, but maybe I'm not looking at the right place!

#2 Lift Dinosaur

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,075 Posts:

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:19 PM

March issue of SAM has an article written by Jan Leonard.

:thumbsup: Dino
"Things turn out best for the people that make the best of the way things turn out." A.L.

#3 Snoqualmie guy

Snoqualmie guy

• 1,065 Posts:
  • Interests:Snoqualmie Pass ski areas

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:38 PM

I got that issue, it was really well done. I liked how they kept the same feel to the lift while upgradeing it.
- Jeff

Why couldn't they of come up with "Global Cooling"?

#4 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

Here are a few from MRG's website:

Attached File(s)

- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#5 djspookman

POWDER to the People!!

• Industry II
  • 142 Posts:
  • Interests:lots-o-thangs

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

I don't have any pics, but I can tell you it rides almost the same! Although, they didn't weld on any pole-hooks to the chairs.. oh, and its really nice and quiet now,a nd no more diesel smell at the base area!

Dave

#6 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for the pictures! I did read the article in SAM. It was my favorite of the issue. Very well written indeed!

#7 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:21 AM

What things did they change on the single chair this summer? I know they put in a new electric drive, but what else is it? Looks like they put on new CTEC tower numbers, that's a little surprising since those are easy for the public to see
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#8 chasl

Established User

• Industry II
  • 268 Posts:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:57 AM

View Postfloridaskier, on Mar 21 2008, 07:21 AM, said:

What things did they change on the single chair this summer? I know they put in a new electric drive, but what else is it? Looks like they put on new CTEC tower numbers, that's a little surprising since those are easy for the public to see

They had to change everything to bring it up to code the drive, lowvolt system, line equipment, new chairs, new grips. I am sure the bullwheels and bearings got overhauled, I am sure someone can give you a complete list if you wish.
But my real question is, why do you feel the public should not know the tower numbers?

This post has been edited by chasl: 21 March 2008 - 05:58 AM

#9 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:44 AM

Well, they replaced the old cast-iron bullwheels, and diesel engine. All sheave assemblies were replaced, because the sheaves were in horrible condition and because they did not have cable catchers. New CTEC 5 spoke sheaves were used. A drive terminal was completely fabricated from scratch to match the old one completely. The top terminal was re-used. The counterweight and its support/sheave system were in excellent condition. New chairs were built from scratch with new Doppelmayr CTEC grips. A new computerized drive and electrical system was put in. The drive components are in the motor room, to hide modern technology from the public! The original towers were used again, but sandblasted, along with all other original structures as they were painted with lead paint.

#10 skisox34

Established User

• 339 Posts:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:47 AM

It looks the same to the naked eye but you can definately tell the difference if you know anything about chairlifts at all!

#11 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:49 AM

View Postskisox34, on Mar 21 2008, 10:47 AM, said:

It looks the same to the naked eye but you can definately tell the difference if you know anything about chairlifts at all!

That was the plan.

#12 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, sailing, music.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. For any normal chairlift rider, they would expect that nothing was changed.
-Matt

"Today's problems cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

#13 tram mechanic

Established User

• Industry II
  • 101 Posts:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:19 AM

View PostLift Kid, on Mar 21 2008, 08:44 AM, said:

Well, they replaced the old cast-iron bullwheels, and diesel engine. All sheave assemblies were replaced, because the sheaves were in horrible condition and because they did not have cable catchers. New CTEC 5 spoke sheaves were used. A drive terminal was completely fabricated from scratch to match the old one completely. The top terminal was re-used. The counterweight and its support/sheave system were in excellent condition. New chairs were built from scratch with new Doppelmayr CTEC grips. A new computerized drive and electrical system was put in. The drive components are in the motor room, to hide modern technology from the public! The original towers were used again, but sandblasted, along with all other original structures as they were painted with lead paint.

Anyone know where I can find some of that "scratch" stuff? Seems like so much stuff is made from scratch, if only I could own a scratch mine...
still seems funny to upgrade a single chair for a....single chair!!
I see all these "Mad River Glen, ski it if you can" stickers around Jackson...must be quite the place... :smile:

#14 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:37 AM

View Posttram mechanic, on Mar 21 2008, 01:19 PM, said:

Anyone know where I can find some of that "scratch" stuff? Seems like so much stuff is made from scratch, if only I could own a scratch mine...
still seems funny to upgrade a single chair for a....single chair!!
I see all these "Mad River Glen, ski it if you can" stickers around Jackson...must be quite the place... :smile:

That single chair is the only normal operating single chair in the US. Its a huge symbol for Mad River Glen. Also, the skiers there like it old fashioned, and it gives the place a great old charm that ski areas with huge lifts and real estate just don't have.

#15 tram mechanic

Established User

• Industry II
  • 101 Posts:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

am I right that Mad River Glen prohibits snowboarding too?

#16 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:46 PM

View Posttram mechanic, on Mar 21 2008, 01:39 PM, said:

am I right that Mad River Glen prohibits snowboarding too?

See this topic... http://www.skiliftfo...?showtopic=6236
-Matt

"Today's problems cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

#17 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:47 PM

View PostLift Kid, on Mar 21 2008, 11:37 AM, said:

That single chair is the only normal operating single chair in the US. Its a huge symbol for Mad River Glen. Also, the skiers there like it old fashioned, and it gives the place a great old charm that ski areas with huge lifts and real estate just don't have.

Isn't there one in Alaska still operating?
-Matt

#18 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

From what I understand, it runs occasionally for skiers but not as an official ski area.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#19 skiersage

SAM student

• Administrator I
  • 858 Posts:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:11 PM

View PostLift Kid, on Mar 21 2008, 10:44 AM, said:

To add to the list of upgrades, towers 1, 2, and 15 are new. Tower 2 used to be a Riblet tower that was replaced with a lattice one for looks. Towers 1 and 15 are depression towers that originally had each 2 pair of sheaves mounted to the tower. The new towers use modern rocking assemblies. I am guessing the reason for this is to make the ride smoother.
-Sage

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And then find someone whose life is giving them vodka and have a party.
-Ron White

#20 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

View PostSkier, on Mar 21 2008, 05:09 PM, said:

From what I understand, it runs occasionally for skiers but not as an official ski area.

That is correct. That is why I used the phrase "Normally Operating".

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users