Jump to content


High-performance Ford


63 replies to this topic

#21 liftmech

    lift mechanic

  • Administrator II
  • 5,896 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:16 AM

 tirefireking, on Jun 22 2007, 08:29 AM, said:

Nice! That warmed my morning HA!

I did however build alot of 460s for Janek, so I must add Found On Rope Drives......wonder if any survive


I believe we still have at least one, on Mountain Chief (formerly J-lift), a 1977 install/1995 re-install. Did you build Chryslers at all?
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#22 tirefireking

    Established User

  • Industry II
  • 36 Posts:

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:20 AM

 liftmech, on Jul 10 2007, 12:16 PM, said:

I believe we still have at least one, on Mountain Chief (formerly J-lift), a 1977 install/1995 re-install. Did you build Chryslers at all?



I didn't do any Chryslers, however there was quite a variety of makes used before my time which I found in the field. I built all the aux engines from 81 thru 86 and had limited gasoline models to 460 Fords and 350 Chevys most being turbocharged. Cummins line covered the diesels. There is one little Perkins diesel out there somewhere.........

#23 EagleAce

    Established User

  • Industry I
  • 716 Posts:
  • Interests:driving large trucks and learning all that I can about lifts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:07 AM

 tirefireking, on Jul 11 2007, 06:20 AM, said:

I didn't do any Chryslers, however there was quite a variety of makes used before my time which I found in the field. I built all the aux engines from 81 thru 86 and had limited gasoline models to 460 Fords and 350 Chevys most being turbocharged. Cummins line covered the diesels. There is one little Perkins diesel out there somewhere.........


Dodge Ridge's Yan has a General Motors diesel. Now HERE'S one that would make one hell of an auxiliary!

Posted Image
:devil: International DT466 :w00t:

This post has been edited by EagleAce: 11 July 2007 - 11:10 AM


#24 Emax

    Established User

  • Industry II
  • 2,904 Posts:

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:40 PM

 EagleAce, on Jul 11 2007, 01:07 PM, said:

Dodge Ridge's Yan has a General Motors diesel. Now HERE'S one that would make one hell of an auxiliary!

Posted Image
:devil: International DT466 :w00t:
...a "farmer's engine" in a ski lift? Brings back old times.

Seems like Dodge Ridge got one of the few Detroits we ever used. Alta had another.

This post has been edited by Emax: 12 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

There are three roads to ruin; women, gambling and technicians. The most pleasant is with women, the quickest is with gambling, but the surest is with technicians. Georges Pompidou

#25 EagleAce

    Established User

  • Industry I
  • 716 Posts:
  • Interests:driving large trucks and learning all that I can about lifts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

 Emax, on Jul 12 2007, 03:40 PM, said:

...a "farmer's engine" in a ski lift? Brings back old times.

Seems like Dodge Ridge got one of the few Detroits we ever used. Alta had another.


And it's a noisy SOB too! The DT466 would make a good APU! Maybe a little overkill though?? :w00t:

#26 EagleAce

    Established User

  • Industry I
  • 716 Posts:
  • Interests:driving large trucks and learning all that I can about lifts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:01 PM

 Emax, on Jul 12 2007, 03:40 PM, said:

...a "farmer's engine" in a ski lift? Brings back old times.


the DT466 AINT no farmer's engine!! :tongue2: it's a bruiser of a truck engine! :biggrin:

This post has been edited by EagleAce: 12 July 2007 - 09:03 PM


#27 Lift Dinosaur

    Established User

  • Industry II
  • 2,014 Posts:

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:42 AM

 liftmech, on Jul 10 2007, 01:16 PM, said:

I believe we still have at least one, on Mountain Chief (formerly J-lift), a 1977 install/1995 re-install. Did you build Chryslers at all?


At Copper, R-Lift (1982) and S-Lift (1983) both originally came with Tirefireking's Ford 460's with turbo. Have they been replaced, liftmech?

Dino
"Things turn out best for the people that make the best of the way things turn out." A.L.

#28 Stowemass

    Established User

  • Member
  • 56 Posts:
  • Interests:PC hardware, software, gaming. Ski lifts, skiing.

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:52 AM

My friend (a VW guy) was playing CS and this hick who somehow got internet where he lived started bragging about how his "daddys" truck can haul more than my friends daddys truck. My friend goes, "Man, I gotsta FORD 850" and the hick replies "MAAAAN FORD DUN GO UPTA NO 850" and there is more to it than that, ill see if i can dig up the recording of it.

I have a recording of it, its funnier if you hear it, because right now it seems pretty non-funny (i have a history of doing a bad job of re-telling funny stories)

anyways, im not a truck guy, but i prefer dodge just because of the HEMI (my uncle has one of dem HEMEH's)
-Sam

FPSDoug said:

I heard the army is like FPS but with better graphics. What happens if I get lag out there? I'm DEAD! And I heard there aren't even any respawn points out there.

#29 Stowemass

    Established User

  • Member
  • 56 Posts:
  • Interests:PC hardware, software, gaming. Ski lifts, skiing.

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

Chevy Camaro IROC:


Itailan
Retard
Out
Crusing
-Sam

FPSDoug said:

I heard the army is like FPS but with better graphics. What happens if I get lag out there? I'm DEAD! And I heard there aren't even any respawn points out there.

#30 EagleAce

    Established User

  • Industry I
  • 716 Posts:
  • Interests:driving large trucks and learning all that I can about lifts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

 Stowemass, on Jul 14 2007, 12:54 PM, said:

Chevy Camaro IROC:
Itailan
Retard
Out
Crusing


:boxing: Hey now! Don't be bashing Chevy! :nono: :biggrin:
that is a good one though!

#31 Allan

    Maintenance Manager

  • Administrator I
  • 2,729 Posts:

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:58 PM

 Emax, on Jul 12 2007, 03:40 PM, said:

...a "farmer's engine" in a ski lift? Brings back old times.

Seems like Dodge Ridge got one of the few Detroits we ever used. Alta had another.


We had a Detroit in Silverlode & a Cummins in Motherlode.
- Allan

#32 poloxskier

    Established User

  • Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

 EagleAce, on Jul 14 2007, 12:03 PM, said:

:boxing: Hey now! Don't be bashing Chevy! :nono: :biggrin:
that is a good one though!

Hey at least Chevy parts are cheap. You just have to replace them weekly.
-Bryan

Theres a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#33 Allan

    Maintenance Manager

  • Administrator I
  • 2,729 Posts:

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:13 AM

 EagleAce, on Jul 14 2007, 01:03 PM, said:

:boxing: Hey now! Don't be bashing Chevy! :nono: :biggrin:
that is a good one though!


Someone say Chevrolet? Can Hear Every Valve Rattling On Long Extended Trips?
- Allan

#34 SkiBachelor

    Forum Administrator

  • Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

I have a 2000 Tahoe and the engine knocks in the morning when I start it up. I'm not sure if others have experienced this problem with the Vortek engine, but it's pretty typical. The cause of this is actually do to GM building the engines looser to handle the cold temperatures better.
- Cameron

#35 poloxskier

    Established User

  • Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:45 PM

 SkiBachelor, on Jul 15 2007, 07:25 PM, said:

I have a 2000 Tahoe and the engine knocks in the morning when I start it up. I'm not sure if others have experienced this problem with the Vortek engine, but it's pretty typical. The cause of this is actually do to GM building the engines looser to handle the cold temperatures better.

No engine noise or real problems but the wiring on the tahoes is f :censored2: ed.

This post has been edited by poloxskier: 15 July 2007 - 07:45 PM

-Bryan

Theres a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#36 SkiBachelor

    Forum Administrator

  • Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

 poloxskier, on Jul 15 2007, 08:45 PM, said:

No engine noise or real problems but the wiring on the tahoes is f :censored2: ed.


What do you mean? I know the wiring is messed up for the 2003 models, but the other years its fine.

I found this knocking noise to be pretty common and there was a forum thread all about it.

I had a 90,000K inspection done one it last year with no big problems. However, my rebuilt transmission sucks (my mom :censored2: it up really bad) and I really hate it. The transmission was rebuilt to constantly tow stuff with it and for it to never needing to be rebuilt again. However, it sucks at shifting now and I can't stand it. While getting up to 65 mph pretty quickly, my Tahoe jumped to 5,500 RPMs and stayed in 2nd gear for a good 3 seconds before going into 3rd. The other gears are fine though.

Anyway, I feel we're going a little off topic.
- Cameron

#37 mikest2

    Mountain Operations

  • Administrator I
  • 1,204 Posts:

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:14 PM

 SkiBachelor, on Jul 15 2007, 09:06 PM, said:

What do you mean? I know the wiring is messed up for the 2003 models, but the other years its fine.

I found this knocking noise to be pretty common and there was a forum thread all about it.

I had a 90,000K inspection done one it last year with no big problems. However, my rebuilt transmission sucks (my mom :censored2: it up really bad) and I really hate it. The transmission was rebuilt to constantly tow stuff with it and never need to be rebuilt again. However, it sucks at shifting now and I can't stand it. While getting up to 65 mph pretty quickly, my Tahoe jumped to 5,500 RPMs and stayed in 2nd gear for a good 3 seconds before going into 3rd. The other gears are fine though.

Checked this ?

http://www.girardgib...m/silverado.asp
...Mike

#38 poloxskier

    Established User

  • Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:40 AM

 SkiBachelor, on Jul 15 2007, 08:06 PM, said:

What do you mean? I know the wiring is messed up for the 2003 models, but the other years its fine.

I haven't talked to anyone except for you now obviously who hasn't had a major wiring repair on their tahoe from 2000-2004.
-Bryan

Theres a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#39 k2skier

    Established User

  • Member
  • 285 Posts:

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:45 AM

In your face bow-tie lovers. Ford's the FASTEST!

BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS, Utah, July 4, 2006 A day after establishing a new World Stock Car Speed Record in a NASCAR-spec Ford Taurus of 222.623 miles-per-hour at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, world speed record holder Russ Wicks again pushed the limits of speed and technology. In a game of speed and precision, Wicks took to the course in a modified version of the NASCAR Super Speedway Car to averaged 237 mph on a one way measured mile.

http://www.russwicks.com/autodesk_worlds_f...car_release.htm

#40 EagleAce

    Established User

  • Industry I
  • 716 Posts:
  • Interests:driving large trucks and learning all that I can about lifts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:04 PM

As far as trucks go I've recently turned into an International person!

This post has been edited by EagleAce: 17 July 2007 - 03:04 PM






1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users