←  Skilifts.org General Discussion

Skilifts.org / SORT Forum

»

Sli Chairlifts - Ski Lifts International

iceberg210's Photo iceberg210 21 Apr 2004

What happened to SLI I have only riden on one of their chairs but really enjoyed it up at Park City (in fact the thing that it was an SLI was the only reason I rode it)?
===================================================
Topic edit-
History can be found here: http://www.skilifts....?showtopic=9288

liftmech's Photo liftmech 22 Apr 2004

I don't know- they seem to have just disappeared. Most other manufacturers were either absorbed by Leitner or Doppelmayr; stopped making lifts but still do other things (Miner-Denver, Murray-Latta); or went out of business (Heron, Riblet). But SLI didn't leave a trail that I can find. Maybe Cameron has some info on this?

I've only ridden (and worked on) one SLI- old C-5 at Crystal. It had been modified to use Riblet clips instead of the SLI grip, which I hear happened to most SLIs around. I liked their carrier design; simple, yet still good-looking.

SkiBachelor's Photo SkiBachelor 22 Apr 2004

Yea, I don't know anything about SLI either. It seems like they just picked up its bags and left; however, I believe I've seen some SLI lifts over in Europe, maybe they were bought out by a European lift manufacturer who started to use its chairlift design? I will look on Alpinforum and see if I can find anything, but the carriers do look like SLI.

P.S. I thought Miner-Denver was gone.

orangegondola's Photo orangegondola 22 Apr 2004

I had read that Bob Heron actually retired, didn't go out of business

floridaskier's Photo floridaskier 22 Apr 2004

PCMR has one remaining SLI lift. It still has normal SLi grips, not the riblet clip (I think)
Really old-looking but pretty well kept up, wooden seats, wooden drive terminal, etc.

KZ's Photo KZ 22 Apr 2004

Ive been on one, but it was quite the hybrid with yan and riblet parts as well as the original SLI chairs. (J-4 at June)

liftmech's Photo liftmech 23 Apr 2004

SkiBachelor, on Apr 22 2004, 07:00 AM, said:

P.S. I thought Miner-Denver was gone.

Nope, they were either bought by Cutler-Hamer or were part of that company to begin with. (Cutler-Hamer makes industrial electrical equipment and you probably have one of their products sumewhere in your house's wiring.) If you go to chairlift.org and look in the manufacturer's section, there is a link to Miner-Denver and it comes up with 'part of the Cutler-Hamer group'.

liftmech's Photo liftmech 23 Apr 2004

orangegondola, on Apr 22 2004, 07:43 AM, said:

I had read that Bob Heron actually retired, didn't go out of business

There are several stories, but basically his company kept partnering with others to keep itself viable in the market; you've no doubt heard of Heron-Poma (the precursor to Poma of America) and Heron-Wright. Those attempts failed, and the company went out of business somewhere around 1978-1979. When Copper bought A-Basin's old Molly Hogan lift in 1979 (a 1971 or 1972 Heron) they contracted with Yan to rebuild it since Heron was no longer around. Now that we're :offtopic: ...

Guest_altaskier_* 24 Apr 2004

Only rode one SLI in all my years, at what was then the Rocky Mountain HI (now Teton Pass) Ski area, west of Great Falls Montana. A well-kept older lift with unique carrier design.

ccslider's Photo ccslider 24 Apr 2004

Ski Lift International was assumed by Riblet ~ 1975. Telluride still has one SLI that was relocated and repowered (drive and low-voltage circuitry) by CTEC in 1985 but still uses the Schneider grip and SLI tower assemblies, sheaves, chairs, etc. Telluride also has a SLI/Riblet crossbreed that was built in 1975 that features SLI towers, sheave assemblies, and carriers but utilizes Riblet insert clips and a Riblet drive terminal set-up.

Bill's Photo Bill 24 Apr 2004

That would explain why Riblet knew everything about the old C-5 at Crystal, I wrote them asking about that lift in 8th grade and the lady who wrote back knew everything about it and why it was built the way it was, etc.

CAski's Photo CAski 24 Apr 2004

Wow, you and chairlifts really do go back a long time.

KZ's Photo KZ 24 Apr 2004

Pretty cool. I joined in 8th grade, so i guess we will se how long this lasts.

liftmech's Photo liftmech 25 Apr 2004

I have heard that most SLIs were modified with the Riblet clip because the Schneider grip was less than ideal- prone to cracking and slipping. One of the mechanics from Ajax brought a grip from their Shadow Mountain lift to an NDT class we took, and the indication we found was in a very critical area. I don't know if that lift still uses the Schneider grip, or has been modified.

Warren733's Photo Warren733 09 Aug 2006

I know Wolf Laurel, NC Has a SLI from the year they opened, 1970. Their website is: http://skiwolflaurel.com and they have a webcam that shows the lift, at lower Broadway, which is a pretty new run.

poloxskier's Photo poloxskier 09 Aug 2006

View Postliftmech, on Apr 25 2004, 08:29 PM, said:

I have heard that most SLIs were modified with the Riblet clip because the Schneider grip was less than ideal- prone to cracking and slipping. One of the mechanics from Ajax brought a grip from their Shadow Mountain lift to an NDT class we took, and the indication we found was in a very critical area. I don't know if that lift still uses the Schneider grip, or has been modified.

Shadow Mountain has been modified with Riblet insert clips.

Lift Dinosaur's Photo Lift Dinosaur 09 Aug 2006

Shadow Mountain has been modified with Riblet insert clips.

Is that going from the frying pan into the fire?

towertop's Photo towertop 09 Aug 2006

Big horn in Ten Sleep Wy has an old SLI

Peter's Photo Peter 09 Aug 2006

Here is a list of places with SLI lifts, the multiples mean they have multiple SLI lifts

49 Degrees North, Washington

Aspen Mountain, Colorado

Bighorn, Wyoming

Bryce Resort, Virginia

Bryce Resort, Virginia

Catamount, New York

Catamount, New York

Catamount, New York

Diamond Peak, Nevada

Heavenly, Nevada

Heavenly, Nevada

June Mountain, California

June Mountain, California

Park City, Utah

Sapphire Valley, North Carolina

Tahoe Donner, California

Telluride, Colorado

Telluride, Colorado

Teton Pass, Montana

The Homestead, Virginia

Wolf Creek, Colorado

Wolf Laurel, North Carolina
This post has been edited by Skier: 09 August 2006 - 11:35 AM

SkiBachelor's Photo SkiBachelor 09 Aug 2006

There is also another SLI at Heavenly down by the aerial tram.

I want to find out where SLI built its gondola because there is no record of one being built in SAM Magazine, but one in their SAM advertisements which can be seen on Chairlift.org.