Sneller Chairlifts

4 replies to this topic

#1 skiersage

SAM student

• Administrator I
  • 857 Posts:

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:56 PM

A while ago someone was wondering who made the Odin double at Norway mountain. Well I took a trip there today and I found out that the two doubles are made by Sneller. They are a bit different than most other chairlifts but are interesting none the less. Now for pics.

The following are of the thor double:

Attached File(s)

-Sage

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And then find someone whose life is giving them vodka and have a party.
-Ron White

#2 Snoqualmie guy

Snoqualmie guy

• 1,065 Posts:
  • Interests:Snoqualmie Pass ski areas

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:24 PM

In picture #3 the chairs were different looking how they bent foward then up. In picture #4 there are no sheaves on the top which I seldom see.

This post has been edited by Snoqualmie guy: 12 August 2007 - 07:24 PM

- Jeff

Why couldn't they of come up with "Global Cooling"?

#3 Yooper Skier

Established User

• Industry II
  • 227 Posts:

Posted 02 September 2018 - 06:08 AM

Bump. Anybody have info on Sneller? The two doubles at Norway are Sneller's. Per the installation survey, they were built by Rice at a ski area called "Norvul" in 1974. This makes sense as Norway's original name was Vulcan USA and sits between the towns of Norway and Vulcan...thus Norvul. Rice appears in 1973 and the last Sneller was built 1972. Did the company change hands/names before going out of business? I asked my dad when he started skiing Vulcan, and he recalled 1974 when it first opened. More nerdy curiosity than anything I guess.
I'll also try and scare up the photos my mom took from late 70s/early 80s of a chair evac there on Christmas Eve of the Odin Chair. Might have been while the place was called Briar Mountain briefly. Lifty derailed the depress assembly swinging chairs. My dad was an off-duty ski instructor and helped with the evac as management had no plan in place. Sounds like the owners sat in the Chalet and watched :angelic:

#4 iceberg210

Bald Eagle Lifts: Defying Gravity

• Administrator II
  • 1,052 Posts:
  • Interests:42

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:48 AM

Interesting, I know they sold a bunch of surface lifts too.

https://www.snowjour...-ny-free-skiing

At one point there was still a "Sneller" corporation in New York, or at least contact information for it. Does anyone know if they just shut the doors on the company or if someone bought them out or?
Erik Berg
Bald Eagle Lifts: Defying Gravity
http://www.baldeaglelifts.com

#5 backyard lift

Established User

• Industry II
  • 121 Posts:

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:58 PM

SAM chairlift install survey shows 6 Sneller lifts-one built in 1968 and 5 built in 1970.

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users