44 replies to this topic

#21 scrutch2001

Established User

• 41 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, ski lifts, old trail maps

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:44 AM

NWS, on Jun 2 2004, 01:52 PM, said:

Thanks Steve,

That is really awesome, I have been looking for older maps of the pass for some time.

It amazes me the amount of ropes at Snoqualmie and the the existance of a Poma where Wildside is.

No problem, Bill, I'm happy to share!

The book has trail maps and overhead pictures of nearly every major resort in Washington, Oregon, and BC. If anyone wants images or maps of a particular resort, let me know and I'll post them.

Here's an overhead shot of Snoqualmie. I think its an even earlier pic - Dodge Ridge and 360 don't appear to be there, and the ropes are configured differently than the trail map.

Steve

Attached File(s)

#22 scrutch2001

Established User

• 41 Posts:

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:54 AM

And here's a picture of Ski Acres, aka Summit Central. Again, this is an even earlier (pre-1968) shot - you can see the Alpine chair, but not the Bonanza chair which sat to the viewer's left.

Steve

Attached File(s)

#23 scrutch2001

Established User

• 41 Posts:

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:02 AM

And here's Hyak, with Dino and the lower chair in place, but the poma still runs to the top of the mountain.

Steve

Attached File(s)

#24 hyak.net

Established User

• 346 Posts:
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Basketball, Ski History....

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:03 AM

I have that same book. It has good info and such as well as those arial shots. Nice scans, and thanks for posting.

#25 TomK

Established User

• 44 Posts:

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:04 PM

The original Alpental lift names of Ein, "Zwie", & Drie finally explains why "Chair 14", the Edelwies lift is universally known as "Chair Two" as thats the translation of Zwie. Thanks for the scans of the old maps.

#26 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 09 June 2004 - 03:49 AM

Nice photos/maps, Steve. I'll have to direct my dad to this thread as the photos were taken when he was working at Hyak the first time. I notice the Hyak photo is relatively old as it doesn't even have chair 2 in it, just the Upper and Lower Pomas and chair 1.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why Webb Moffat and company changed all the lift designations when the bought Ski Acres, then Alpental, and finally Hyak? It seems that all the lifts had names already, and Moffat confused people by redesignating them. I would have thought that he would have left them alone.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#27 pyrotechnik

ski instructor of the year - 2005

• 78 Posts:
  • Interests:skiing

Posted 10 July 2004 - 06:47 PM

has anyone tried skiing daytime-only runs(backcountry counts, too) at night time, using a headlamp? if so.. what kind of headlamp do you suggest i buy?

#28 edmontonguy

Edmontonguy

• 927 Posts:

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:18 AM

Ive never tried to do that but i'd suggest visiting your local outfitters store for headlamps. the are some good LED models startng to make an appearence on the market.

#29 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:43 PM

Um, a magnesium head lamp if they make one. That stuff burns bright man, I'm sure you could light up the whole ski run.
- Cameron

#30 hyak.net

Established User

• 346 Posts:
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Basketball, Ski History....

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:01 PM

I've seen many people ski the face of Hyak with headlamps or just by the moonlight. I've hiked around on the slopes a lot at night with my dog and he wears a headlamp!!! (but he doesn't ski)..........

#31 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:11 PM

When we used to have nightskiing on Red, we would ski all over the dark runs. It was a great time! No headlamps or anything, but that's way back when mu friends and I were about 10 :) I still ski down long sqaw occasionally in the dark without lamps... but it's usually after the on mountain parties and lights won't help anyways!! :cheers:
- Allan

#32 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:54 PM

View Posticeberg210, on May 25 2004, 04:04 PM, said:

IN our lift page it says that thunderbird no longer exists on Summits trail map it says it does. But thats not what I came here to ask about.

As I was looking at all the old lifts that had been removed from the Summit I was wondering if anyone knew where each was located. Thanks

I was looking at the pictures of Thunderbird and was wondering if the bullwheel suport was already removed or was it a floating bullwheel? Also does anyone have pics of this chair in operation or with the bullwheel still in place?
-Bryan

Theres a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#33 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:47 AM

T-bird had a rigid-carriage bullwheel like 98% of other lifts. It was an open-lattice style terminal like Baker's Chair 1.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#34 Snoqualmie guy

Snoqualmie guy

• 1,065 Posts:
  • Interests:Snoqualmie Pass ski areas

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:59 PM

Over at Snoqualmie Summit did Pacific Creast used to be a double? Also how did T-Bird and Little Thunder fit, by looking at the towers of T-Bird it looks like they were close and T-Bird didn't look very high. Does anyone have a 1980s trail map of the Summit?

This post has been edited by Snoqualmie guy: 01 May 2007 - 04:01 PM

- Jeff

Why couldn't they of come up with "Global Cooling"?

#35 Bill

Founder

• Administrator II
  • 2,852 Posts:

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:35 PM

Pacific Crest has always been a quad. Before it was there, it was the big 3, all Riblet doubles, Dodge Ridge, Big Bill and 360.

As for Little Thunder and T-Bird, yes they co-existed for about 10 years. They were close, but never crossed or anything like that.
- Bill

#36 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

I think I have an old trail map, my hard drive died Friday so I can't get it right now. I'll post it later though.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#37 Snoqualmie guy

Snoqualmie guy

• 1,065 Posts:

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

I was just up at Summit Central( I hate the names that Booth Creek gave them) today. I was poking around near the top of Triple 60 and found the ruins of the old single chair there. I found the old haul rope( I think) it sure was small. Also some smaller cable and the foundation for the top and bottom station. Along with a few pulleys and old twisted metal. It appers that the lift was red and started 1/3 of the way up Triple 60 and to the left. Then in a junk pile I found some old sheaves but am not sure what they were to. I plan to look around there more this summer to find out more of the single.
- Jeff

#38 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:31 PM

1996 Trail Map showing many of the lifts mentioned above:

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  1996.gif (252.11K)
    Number of downloads: 31

- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#39 Bill

Founder

• Administrator II
  • 2,852 Posts:

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:35 AM

Where was this "junk pile" exactly at Central? If you get a chance, hike to the top of Thunderbird, the old lift was stashed behind the old top terminal of Beaver Lake, overgrown with blackberry bushes, but you can see the sheaves and stuff upclose.
- Bill

#40 Snoqualmie guy

Snoqualmie guy

• 1,065 Posts:

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:00 PM

The junk pile was near the upper crossover from Central Express to Triple 60. There is a old brown shack with a blue and white roof with a bunch of old stuff next to it. I found the sheaves behind the building covered in weeds along with some other cool old stuff. Below this site is some ski school which I can't think of the name. I plan to hike more of Central along with the other four areas. I will get to the top of C.2 at Alpental and take some photos for the chairlift page.
- Jeff

2 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users