Beaver Creek Questions

23 replies to this topic

#1 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:39 PM

I noticed on the notes on the Elkhorn lift in the gallery that it was relocated and upgraded by Graventa CTEC. Does anyone know where it was originaly installed?

Also I was wondering was Arrowhead developed at the same time as BC and was it developed by the same company?

Does anyone know why they no longer show the black run Lone pine canyon at Arrowhead? Do they no longer open it?

This post has been edited by poloxskier: 01 February 2005 - 04:40 PM

-Bryan

Theres a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#2 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:
  • Interests:Chairlifts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:57 PM

I have no idea. but Lone pine was a very fun Run :)
Jeff

#3 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 05:33 PM

Kicking Horse, on Feb 1 2005, 06:57 PM, said:

I have no idea.  but Lone pine was a very fun Run :)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Based on the topo maps of the area it looks like it would be. I'm not sure when it was removed from the map but it's not on the current map.
-Bryan

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#4 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 05:44 PM

Possibly they still allow access as backcountry?
-Bryan

#5 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:05 PM

i have no idea. The only thing about that run was the catwalk back to the base area. it sucked. I know it was on the map back in 96-97 season. Let me do some digging.
Jeff

#6 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:09 PM

it appears it went off the trail map fro the 98-99 season or 99-00. Somewhere in that time frame.
Jeff

#7 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:10 PM

Arrowhead opened in 1989? Arrowhead was not part of Beavercreek until the mid to late 90's. So i don't think it was devloped by the same company.
Jeff

#8 coskibum

Established User

• Industry II
  • 596 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, Running, Mountain Biking, Baseball, Hiking, ski history, and Chairlifts.

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:16 PM

yes, arrowhead was bought by VA with the intention of connecting it to BC

#9 SkiReg

New User

• Industry II
  • 23 Posts:

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:12 AM

The Elkhorn lift was formerly the Strawberry Park fixed grip. It was relocated when the detachable was installed by CTEC.

#10 vons

Established User

• Industry II
  • 940 Posts:

Posted 05 February 2005 - 01:21 PM

Arrowhead was developed by an outside firm and arrowhead owned the bachlor Gulch area as well mysteryusly the company had all there permits pulled just after they had finished cutting a lift line out of B.G. and the snowmaking pipe had arrived. While skiing BachlorGulch you can see a cut heading twordthe top of Arrowhead. Arrowhead was connected in summer 96'. My first resort job was at Arrowhead working as a ski instructor over my Springbreak. Unfortunatly since V. A. took over they have renamed many runs and abandond others specificly Lone Pine Canyon and Quiver. Lone Pine started at the bottom of Powow and headed down to the canyon floor and though patrole didn't open it often due to lac of snow on the runout it still was the largest powder stash on the hill. <_<

#11 coskibum

Established User

• Industry II
  • 596 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, Running, Mountain Biking, Baseball, Hiking, ski history, and Chairlifts.

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:43 PM

my hypothesis is that the elkhorn lift is NOT the old strawberry lift. this is because look at the CTEC towers on strawberry now. The poles are original from the old doppelmayr triple that used to be there. CTEC only replaced the tower heads and terminals.

strawberry exp:
Posted Image

compared to an original dop triple there:
Posted Image

this doesn't solve the problem though?

#12 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:55 PM

Brad, I'm still sticking with SkiReg that the Elkhorn lift used to be the former Strawberry lift. The reason why the Strawberry Express uses the old Doppelmayr Elkhorn towers is because those towers were still strong enough to support the load of the new HSQ. It would be a waste of money to rip out those towers and reuse them on the Elkhorn lift when the Strawberry Express could reuse them. I presume that the Elkhorn lift uses CTEC towers rather than the former Doppelmayr ones.

And if this lift wasn't the former Strawberry lift, where would it have come from, Vail?

Elkhorn Lift Line:
Posted Image
- Cameron

#13 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:42 AM

I don't think it came from Vail as they didn't buy any original Doppelmayr installations except for chair 5. Having seen the Elkhorn, at least the village section, it certainly looks like CTEC extensively modified it from an original Doppelmayr.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#14 nathanvg

Established User

• 216 Posts:

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:06 PM

I have another question about BC. I know the original centennial lift is now at vail as lift 17 (sun up lift). I also know that the upper portion of the current centennial lift was serviced by an additional lift until the early 90's. (This lift serviced "half hitch" and "double diamond" runs.) This lift always seemed a bit pointless with the express centennial lift right next to it. My question is, did the original centennial lift not extend all the way to its current upper terminal? Was this "half hitch" lift needed to reach the summit?

#15 vons

Established User

• Industry II
  • 940 Posts:

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:06 PM

the old centennial ended by the top of the race course area and half hitch whent up from there

#16 coskibum

Established User

• Industry II
  • 596 Posts:

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:33 PM

i still disagree. the elkhorn lift still uses doppelmayr towers, with tower tops added on by CTEC. look at this picture, it is evident.

elkhorn lift:
Posted Image

#17 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:32 PM

Maybe there were some towers left from the Centenial since it seems shorter now that its at Vail
-Bryan

#18 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:30 AM

Are all the towers Doppelmayr with CTEC caps?
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#19 SkiReg

New User

• Industry II
  • 23 Posts:

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:47 AM

Trust me, I know the Elk lift came from Strawberry Park.

We mixed and matched a lot of old Dopplemayr equipment BC had in their junkyard, using as much of the Doppelmayr equipment as we could.

There was extensive redesign work involved with the relocation of mixing equipment and creating the line. I was intimately involved in the design while working at CTEC.

#20 boardski

Established User

• Industry II
  • 760 Posts:

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:09 PM

poloxskier, on Feb 1 2005, 06:39 PM, said:

I noticed on the notes on the Elkhorn lift in the gallery that it was relocated and upgraded by Graventa CTEC.  Does anyone know where it was originaly installed?

Also I was wondering was Arrowhead developed at the same time as BC and was it developed by the same company?

Does anyone know why they no longer show the black run Lone pine canyon at Arrowhead?  Do they no longer open it?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Elkhorn Lift #14 was originally installed as the Strawberry Park lift #12 and was one of BC's original lifts when they opened in 1980. There was also a short platter lift near that location for the homeowner access sometime in the mid 80's but I beleive that ended up at Vail as Lift #22 (Mongolia). Elkhorn lift #14 was installed 1 year after the current Strawberry Park Express was installed.
Skiing since 1977, snowboarding since 1989

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users