Slingshot lifts?

9 replies to this topic

#1 djspookman

POWDER to the People!!

• Industry II
  • 142 Posts:
  • Interests:lots-o-thangs

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:39 AM

Has anyone been on, or knows how these lifts work at Portillo, Chile? I was broswing their website when I found them. Here's a link to the website: Portillo Lifts What I got from reading the page was that the lifts are essentially a typical platter pull but there are 5 discs to use that Poma manufatured, and there are only 2 in the world, both at Portillo. Apparently they are used because of the avalanche prone area that they are in. Anyone have more info?

thanks!

dave

This post has been edited by djspookman: 07 November 2005 - 07:41 AM

#2 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:26 PM

It says its a pulley drilled into the mountainside. Never seen these before. A better question is how they load and unload a five-seater pomalift. Good find, Dave
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#3 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:47 PM

For those who have seen a few of the older Warren Miller movies, this lift is seen a lot in the scenes filmed at this resort.
- Cameron

#4 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:25 PM

I think i've seen this in a photo. Its like a rack hanging from the cable with 5 skiers in a row.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#5 WBSKI

Whistler Skiier

• 1,164 Posts:
  • Interests:Downhill Skiing, Nordic Skiing, Web Development, Outdoors in general, ect.

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:52 PM

thats pretty cool, maybe they have the lower haulrope in a tube under the snow or something.

#6 djspookman

POWDER to the People!!

• Industry II
  • 142 Posts:

Posted 08 November 2005 - 05:04 AM

View Postfloridaskier, on Nov 7 2005, 04:26 PM, said:

A better question is how they load and unload a five-seater pomalift. Good find, Dave

thanks..

I was wondering this too... That could lead to quite the mess loading/unloading!

dave

#7 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:09 AM

From what video footage I have seen of this lift, it looks like it can only take 5 people up at a time and then it goes back down the hill. I guess you could call it a jig-back type lift.
- Cameron

#8 djspookman

POWDER to the People!!

• Industry II
  • 142 Posts:

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:13 AM

View PostSkiBachelor, on Nov 8 2005, 11:09 AM, said:

From what video footage I have seen of this lift, it looks like it can only take 5 people up at a time and then it goes back down the hill. I guess you could call it a jig-back lift.

ahh.. that would simplify the loading/unloading issues I was thinking of.

dave

#9 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:12 AM

View Postdjspookman, on Nov 8 2005, 07:13 AM, said:

ahh.. that would simplify the loading/unloading issues I was thinking of.

dave

I can't remember the issue but Skiing had a Portillo article a number of years ago and they mentioned the unloading process. There are a series of signs that tell which person when to unload and the design of the platter of the last person to unload is different. I dont really remember much of the article but I will try to find it so I can get all the information from it.
-Bryan

Theres a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#10 yetigonecrazy

Established User

• 35 Posts:

Posted 08 November 2005 - 05:53 PM

its called a "va et viene" or something french like that. But yeah, its a five person poma. Very hard to get on and off.

2 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users