53 replies to this topic

#41 snoloco

Established User

• 444 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing
    Ski lifts
    Ski areas

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

Isn't the Lewis and Clark chair part of the Spanish Peaks section which is also an exclusive members only private ski area like Yellowstone Club is?

#42 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:59 PM

View Postsnoloco, on 09 March 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

Isn't the Lewis and Clark chair part of the Spanish Peaks section which is also an exclusive members only private ski area like Yellowstone Club is?

Not anymore, Spanish Peaks went bankrupt in 2011 and became part of Big Sky Resort last season.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#43 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:
  • Interests:Chairlifts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

In fact Spanish Peaks still owns the lifts on Spanish Peaks and is paying Big Sky to Operate the ski area. One of the agreements is that the lift ticket for Big Sky has access to the Spanish Peaks Lifts. Your not really missing anything if you don't ski over there as the lower half is pretty damn flat.
Jeff

#44 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:51 PM

from one of my days of running the L&C... :)

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Kicking Horse: 09 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

Jeff

#45 2milehi

Established User

• Industry II
  • 1,035 Posts:
  • Interests:Makin' sparks, breakin' part

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

L&C, is that the name of the only two chairs on that lift. I can't comprehend that picture, I should be able to see 40 chairs in that picture.
Anything is possible when you don't understand what you are talking about.

#46 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

It seems like lots is still being sorted out in Big Sky...
The Moonlight Basin brand has re-appeared. Moonlightbasin.com is back and so is their Facebook page.
The lodge at the top of Andesite which was built by Spanish Peaks is now owned by Boyne and reopened after 3 years being closed.
Moonlight Lodge and Spanish Peaks lodge are no longer operated by Boyne but instead Montage Hotels and Resorts.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#47 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

View Post2milehi, on 10 March 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

L&C, is that the name of the only two chairs on that lift. I can't comprehend that picture, I should be able to see 40 chairs in that picture.

Nope this lift has 25 or 26 chairs. 20 sec chair spacing. and the name is Lewis and Clark.

That pic is to show that it's truely is a low cap lift.
Jeff

#48 2milehi

Established User

• Industry II
  • 1,035 Posts:

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:05 PM

High speed, low capacity. Again I can't get my head around it.

#49 DonaldMReif

Established User

• 1,980 Posts:

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:33 PM

When I think of low-capacity high speed lifts, typically, the Imperial Express SuperChair or the Earl's Express lift are the first things that come to mind. Lewis & Clark has an even lower uphill capacity than either of those two lifts I just mentioned.
YouTube channel for chairlift POV videos and other random stuff:
https://www.youtube....TimeQueenOfRome

#50 Backbowlsbilly

Established User

• 259 Posts:

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:06 PM

Dopp lists the official capacity for LC as 1,600 people per hour in one of their world books, can that be right if there is only 26 chairs? (I'll try to get a recording of it next week when I'm there, hopefully maybe some other lifts up in Big Sky/Bridger too)

#51 2milehi

Established User

• Industry II
  • 1,035 Posts:

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

View PostBackbowlsbilly, on 18 March 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

Dopp lists the official capacity for LC as 1,600 people per hour in one of their world books, can that be right if there is only 26 chairs? (I'll try to get a recording of it next week when I'm there, hopefully maybe some other lifts up in Big Sky/Bridger too)

4 people / 20 second * 3600 = 720 PPH

#52 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:05 PM

View PostBackbowlsbilly, on 18 March 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

They always put design capacity in the Worldbook and SAM
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#53 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:01 PM

There was 1 day where the Lewis & Clark had a line. And every chair was coming up fully loaded.

It was a group of 60 or 70 people. :)
Jeff

#54 Backbowlsbilly

Established User

• 259 Posts:

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:53 PM

I had a blast up in Big Sky, I got a chance to do Liberty Bowl (although it was crusty) and the Gullies off the tram on my lone day up there but unfortunately I broke my collarbone under the Lone Peak Triple so I only got to ski one day. Anyways, we did get a chance to head over to Spanish Peaks which was really crazy, my brother and I were literally the only ones ones skiing on the entire mountain. Every other carrier is bubbled, which are clear and have the Spanish Peaks logo on the front. The first picture below is of the top terminal of Lewis and Clark. The other pictures are all of the Lone Peak Tram, which is really an incredible lift that I would recommend to anybody who goes to Big Sky, even if you have no desire whatsoever to ski down. The views from the top are incredible, stretching all the way down to Yellowstone and even the Grand Teton. The lift itself is amazing too, pretty much going straight up and getting really close to the rocks just below the summit, so close that if it's a good snow year the tram car will "knock" the snow near the summit so a patrol member will have to be tied to the top station and travel down to the spot, where he/she digs out the snow so the car can safely travel through. The second picture shows just how close it comes to the ground, taken from the top terminal overlook. The third picture is of the liftline itself of the tram, you can see just how steep it is here. Finally, the fourth picture is of the two cabins right beofre they pass each other, you can see just how high off the ground they get.

I was able to record two lifts on the one day I was skiing, but my brother recorded the Lone Peak Triple, the Tram on a zero visibility day, and the Headwaters Lift so hopefully I will have those up soon.

Lewis and Clark: https://www.youtube....h?v=4ogatw6gDaQ
Southern Comfort: https://www.youtube....h?v=JPD5l169_3o
Base of Ramcharger and Swift Current: https://www.youtube....h?v=iqoGbuBhGwI
(that one is just the bottom terminal of both lifts, it's a little shaky too because I could only record with one hand, the other was in a sling so sorry about that)

Attached File(s)

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users