HSEs in North America?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Owen

Established User

• 40 Posts:

Posted 26 February 2005 - 12:51 PM

Hi,

I'm curious if any resorts in North America have Highspeed Eights? It seems like Sixpacks are becoming more and more popular, but I haven't seen a trail map with an eight person chair. Gondolas seem to be the more popular route if you have a high traffic lift.

Owen

#2 Boeinglover

Near expert skier + computer geek.

• 164 Posts:
  • Interests:I like airplanes, skilifts, boats, computers, and skiing. Thanks for reading my profile! <br />P.S. Long live the greeks! :)

Posted 26 February 2005 - 12:52 PM

No, not yet. There are over 15 sixpacks though. :)

To be or not to be, that is the question of life.
by William Shakespeare, and not me

I am lucky! I won the heads and tails game 300 consecutive times! You see the rules are: heads I win, tails you lose

#3 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 26 February 2005 - 12:56 PM

A while back, a forum member said there was a resort in New York that was thinking about installing a HSE, but is no longer going to because of the amount of load and unloading problems they have.
- Cameron

#4 Owen

Established User

• 40 Posts:

Posted 26 February 2005 - 01:07 PM

Interesting!

I found that even Sixpacks have unloading problems, especially if there are many options/directions from the top. When I skied Silver Star, it seemed that on almost every third chair atleast one person fell because if what someone else was doing. I can't imagine what eight would be like.

Quads for me!

#5 snowboardguy

Established User

• 180 Posts:
  • Interests:SNOW

Posted 26 February 2005 - 01:41 PM

Owen, on Feb 26 2005, 12:51 PM, said:

Hi,

I'm curious if any resorts in North America have Highspeed Eights? It seems like Sixpacks are becoming more and more popular, but I haven't seen a trail map with an eight person chair. Gondolas seem to be the more popular route if you have a high traffic lift.

Owen
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't HSS's get better capacity than 8 person gondolas?

#6 highspeedquad

Fixed grip hater, L-P lover.

• 764 Posts:

Posted 26 February 2005 - 02:36 PM

High speed eight's do get more capacity than 8 person gondis, because they have to space the gondolas wider. My guess would be that HSE can get up to 4800 pph and the eight person gondi would be at about 3200 pph. I do not have the exact numbers, I just estimated based on capacities of HSQs (around 2400 pph) and the River Run Gondi at Keystone (also 2400 pph).
My life or my chocolate: Give me a minute, I'm thinking.

Isn't it odd that "politics" is made up of the word "poli" meaning many, and "tics" meaning blood-sucking creatures?

#7 highspeedquad

• 764 Posts:

Posted 26 February 2005 - 03:53 PM

I checked on Dopp/Ctec's and Leitner's website, and for the top capacities for the detachables was 4000 pph, so I'm guessing that would be what the HSE would be. For the gondi I wouldn't know, but I'm guessing that the 8 person would hold about 2800 to 3200, depending on the design.

Isn't it odd that "politics" is made up of the word "poli" meaning many, and "tics" meaning blood-sucking creatures?

#8 KZ

Multipurpose Machine

• Industry II
  • 2,087 Posts:
  • Interests:Howdy folks, Im Zack and I live in California.

Posted 26 February 2005 - 11:18 PM

I think the best answer to crummy unloading to big lifts is the "launch-off" unloading. Its where you can pop off before it gets going really slow, so maybe half the chair can unload that way and the other half could wait until the first 3 are out of the way. It wouldnt work on beginner lifts but more advanced skiiers and riders can usually handle it.
Zack

#9 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:53 AM

Possibly on the larger lifts they will design some sort of moving unloading system that moves people away from the chair in beginner areas. I dont know if it would work but I guess it would be worth a shot.
-Bryan

Theres a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#10 highspeedquad

• 764 Posts:

Posted 27 February 2005 - 03:01 PM

On some lifts that are going fast into the station I get "thrown off," yet when I look back a moment later, I see the chair moving at regular terminal speed. I find that fun, and it does help to unload a large chair.

#11 edmontonguy

Edmontonguy

• 927 Posts:

Posted 27 February 2005 - 03:20 PM

It's effective to limit skiiers to only one off-loading direction or have a staging area atop the lift where skiiers have time to stop or slow down before making a desicion as the where to ski to afterwards. Also benches for snowboarders help eliminate the confusion at the top of the lift when large groups sit down too close to the top of the lift.

For large chairs it would be handy to sort skiiers out not only by numbers but by offloading direction in the maze before loading. This would make sure the skiiers are conciensious of their intentions at the top of the lift. Mammoth uses arrows on the chairs to indicate which direction the skiers should move. The chair at Snow Valley has a very short offloading area and requires skiier to turn as soon as they reach the bottom of the ramp or fear running into a chain-link fence. To avoid problems there are signs warning of this short turning area starting on the second tower. Skiiers tend to talk this out while on the ride and the only incidents seemt to happen will novice skiiers.

#12 highspeedquad

• 764 Posts:

Posted 27 February 2005 - 06:16 PM

Sometimes where you go can be a problem, especially if you don't know who is going where, but it is usually solved by going straight for a little bit and then going where you want to go when you are out of the pack.

#13 Boeinglover

• 164 Posts:
  • Interests:I like airplanes, skilifts, boats, computers, and skiing. Thanks for reading my profile! <br />P.S. Long live the greeks! :)

Posted 27 February 2005 - 07:21 PM

It's time to get back on topic now, mkay? :)

I am lucky! I won the heads and tails game 300 consecutive times! You see the rules are: heads I win, tails you lose

#14 Duck

Mechanical Designer

• 391 Posts:
  • Interests:-Snowboarding and lifts :)<br />-Transportation Technology<br />-Windturbines<br />-Amusement Rides and Technology<br />-Industrial Automation and Robotics (the industry in which I am employed)<br />-Minimoto

Posted 27 February 2005 - 07:53 PM

How exactly is what is being discussed off-topic?

#15 Owen

Established User

• 40 Posts:

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:53 PM

I was wondering the same, Duck.

#16 edmontonguy

Edmontonguy

• 927 Posts:

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:24 PM

I guess it was more pertaining to lift unloading proceedures instead of eight packs but i think it's important to contrast other lifts when talking about a lift most of us have only seen in photos.

#17 highspeedquad

• 764 Posts:

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:02 AM

Has anyone ridden an eight-pack?

#18 edmontonguy

Edmontonguy

• 927 Posts:

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:24 PM

Book might have as from what i remeber he is from Austrailia. Persiher Blue has an Doppelmayr UNI-G eightpack though it's rather short.

#19 mbernstein

Established User

• 61 Posts:

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:55 PM

SkiBachelor, on Feb 26 2005, 12:56 PM, said:

A while back, a forum member said there was a resort in New York that was thinking about installing a HSE, but is no longer going to because of the amount of load and unloading problems they have.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That ski area was Belleayre in New York. :thumbsup:

#20 Boeinglover

• 164 Posts:

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:30 PM

Duck, on Feb 27 2005, 08:53 PM, said:

How exactly is what is being discussed off-topic?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Highspeedquad's comment was a little irrellevant there and I guess I shouldn't be talking because I go off topic alot.

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users