Best/Worst lift names

11 replies to this topic

#1 DonaldMReif

Established User

• 1,980 Posts:

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

More of an opinion, but what are some of the lift names you can think of where you wonder "What in the world did the resort think when they decided what the lift name should be?"
YouTube channel for chairlift POV videos and other random stuff:
https://www.youtube....TimeQueenOfRome

#2 snoloco

Established User

• 444 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing
    Ski lifts
    Ski areas

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hunter Mountain installed two Poma fixed grip quads back in 1997. That was the first year the Omega Carrier was offered. They are mostly known as B-Lift and C-Lift since they replaced early 60's Poma Doubles with those designations. However, they have official names where the B-Lift is called the Broadway Limited, and C is the 20th Century Limited. They theme their names to things New York City related and Broadway Limited was the name given to the Pennsylvania Railroad's express train from NYC to Chicago. 20th Century Limited was the name given to the New York Central Railroad's NYC to Chicago train. These were some of the fastest trains of that time period. However, the two lifts at Hunter Mountain with those names are the two slowest lifts on the mountain and they slow down or stop every 30 seconds. Their only other named lifts is the Kaatskill Flyer and Zephyr Express, both of which I think are pretty cool names. Kaatskill is spelled that way because their fancy resort hotel is called the Kaatskill Mountain Club. The actual mountain range they are in is the Catskills. The rest of their lifts were simply given letters. On the front side the letters go up from A which is the Kaatskill Flyer's letterin the order that the lifts were installed back when the mountain opened in 1959. The HSQ that it replaced, and the double that the HSQ replaced also carried the same designation. The letters go up to H. There is no G anymore. That used to be a mid mountain lift, but when the base-summit HSQ was installed, it was left underutilized and relocated to the beginner area as the G2 lift. That lift was very short and was replaced by a magic carped in 13-14. The carpet lift carries the designation "C1". That is pretty odd as the C-Lift quad mentioned earlier is very close to it. They should have kept the G designation. The tow rope lift is called the pony lift and carries the designation "PL". There is also a ski school/race team only Poma lift called "HP" which stands for Highlands Poma. On the West Side, the only current lift is the Zephyr Express which is the relocated HSQ from the front side. Previous lifts were the Z-Lift and Y-Lift. These go down in the order they were installed. The Z-Lift was the original Hunter West lift from 1971. It was decommissioned in 2011 and left "standing, but not operating" for 2011-2012 and removed in summer 2012. The Y-Lift was installed on Hunter West in 1984, but was actually an older lift. It was the original F-Lift on the front side. They replaced it with a Poma triple in 1984 and relocated it to the West Side. It was removed in spring of 2011 and replaced by the Zephyr Express. That name was chosen because it contains the letters of both the lifts it replaced, and X which is the letter it would carry if they followed the naming trend.

#3 DonaldMReif

Established User

• 1,980 Posts:

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

I always wonder why, when Vail replaced the Vista Bahn Express with the gondola in 2012, they went with calling it just "Gondola One." I honestly would have preferred they give it a name like the 'Vista Bahn Gondola' or even the Tenth Mountain Gondola. Likewise, it was a good thing Vail allowed the Mountaintop Express lift and the Gopher Hill lift to keep their names when they were upgraded the year after that.

#4 2milehi

Established User

• Industry II
  • 1,027 Posts:
  • Interests:Makin' sparks, breakin' part

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

Imperial Express SuperChair - come on it is either an Express or a Superchair.

Zendo Superchair - come on marketing, it is a fixed grip. :rolleyes:
Anything is possible when you don't understand what you are talking about.

#5 DonaldMReif

Established User

• 1,980 Posts:

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

View Post2milehi, on 21 July 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

Imperial Express SuperChair - come on it is either an Express or a Superchair.

Zendo Superchair - come on marketing, it is a fixed grip. :rolleyes:

It took them until late March or early April to fix the sign to read just "Zendo Chair" like the trail map says it's called:

Posted Image

#6 NoPainNoJane

Established User

• Industry II
  • 169 Posts:

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

View PostDonaldMReif, on 21 July 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

I always wonder why, when Vail replaced the Vista Bahn Express with the gondola in 2012, they went with calling it just "Gondola One." I honestly would have preferred they give it a name like the 'Vista Bahn Gondola' or even the Tenth Mountain Gondola. Likewise, it was a good thing Vail allowed the Mountaintop Express lift and the Gopher Hill lift to keep their names when they were upgraded the year after that.

They named it One to pay homage to the original gondola that was there when the mountain first opened, 50 years ago, or now 52 years ago. As for the names of the lifts at Vail, most everyone I know (employees & locals) only refer to them by their designated numbers, remembering all the names is too much.

This post has been edited by NoPainNoJane: 22 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

#7 ceo

Established User

• 59 Posts:

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

Cannon Mountain had a chairlift that was officially named the New Peabody Chair, as opposed to the then-still-running old Peabody Chair. It broke down so much is was unofficially named the Hong Kong Chair (that being a location associated with poor-quality merchandise in the mid-70s), and eventually that became the official name. Later they decided that was a terrible name and renamed it the Gremlin Chair, hardly better in terms of projecting an image of reliability. The name came from an adjacent trail that was in turn named after a deceased base-lodge cat. When it was finally replaced, the replacement was named Eagle Cliff (which is on the other side of Franconia Notch from Cannon).

Cannon also has a summit quad called the Cannonball Express, which despite its name is fixed-grip. I thought that when the old Peabody Chair was replaced with a detachable, it should simply be the Peabody Chair for consistency, but it's the Peabody Express.

Wachusett Mountain in Massachusetts has a main quad called the Polar Express, which does not go to the North Pole. The area is owned by the same family that owns the local Polar soft-drink company.

#8 SkiDaBird

Established User

• 509 Posts:

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

Solitude puts roman numerals next to lifts that had the same name as their predecessor and I never fully understood why. No one actually calls it "Powderhorn II" and we didn't ever call it "Moonbeam II" or "Moonbeam III".

#9 boardski

Established User

• Industry II
  • 760 Posts:

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:43 AM

I have always thought "way back" was not a very creative name on keystone's part but at the same time, I understand why they call it that. The new recycled lift ggoing in at Wolf creek is to be called "Elma", which will remind me of "Elmo", the character on Sesame street. I will still probably use the lift anyway thoy
Skiing since 1977, snowboarding since 1989

#10 DonaldMReif

Established User

• 1,980 Posts:

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

The Pony Express at Winter Park, despite its name, is a fixed grip. The Pony Express at Steamboat, on the other hand, is a high speed quad.

#11 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,898 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:38 AM

True, but the Pony Express was named in 1975 before there were any detaches. It was most likely named after the short-lived (but much celebrated) Pony Express transcontinental mail service of the 1860s. I'd guess the same of Steamboat's lift.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#12 SkiDaBird

Established User

• 509 Posts:

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

Is there some reference I have missed involving Fabyan's Express at Bretton Woods?

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users