Rebuilding a 1960's Poma lift

90 replies to this topic

#21 Bogong

Established User

• 205 Posts:
  • Interests:Corrupting society, Australian ski history, Backcountry and resort skiing, mountaineering, extended hikes, making ski resorts viable summer destinations.

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

... and a picture of a very long Poma with "a big rack". The lift is essentially unchanged since 1978. The photo was taken in October at the end of the ski season when the resort was about to close down for the year.

Posted Image

EDIT. I should emphasise that this isn't my photo, I was only a small child when it was taken. I just lifted it off the Facebook fan page to illustrate a "Big Rack" after Petz's photo of a Poma with a "small rack".

This post has been edited by Bogong: 19 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

Details of every Australian ski lift ever built. http://www.australia...ralianskilifts/

#22 mikest2

Mountain Operations

• Administrator I
  • 1,204 Posts:

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

Falls Creek I assume ? Geeez................I had pants like Geoff, but no Nordicas for me, I think that was the year I threw away my Banshees and got a pair of the new ther-no-fit XL1000 Langes.
Great photo !!
...Mike

#23 Don CoyoteŽ

cheeeeese!

• 100 Posts:
  • Interests:Rust Junkie

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

*Sigh* :crying:

The site administrators/moderators seem to have removed my favorite "Rack" pic. :dry:

Bummer. :rolleyes:

.....But here are some nice rack pics,.... enjoy! :smile: ...............

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Don CoyoteŽ: 24 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

Silence is golden,..... Duct Tape is silver.

#24 Don CoyoteŽ

cheeeeese!

• 100 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

Here's the engine and controls..................

Attached File(s)

#25 Don CoyoteŽ

cheeeeese!

• 100 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:49 PM

And the rest :smile: ......................

Attached File(s)

#26 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:
  • Interests:Chairlifts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

And this thing turns right now?
Jeff

#27 Don CoyoteŽ

cheeeeese!

• 100 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

I was hoping to re-create the likeness of that postcard that I purchased from eBay,..... I went to the Mountain today to get all these shots. :smile:

This is the best I could do with the new growth of maple trees getting in the way. :pinch: ...................

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Don CoyoteŽ: 21 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

#28 Don CoyoteŽ

cheeeeese!

• 100 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

View PostKicking Horse, on Apr 21 2009, 03:50 PM, said:

And this thing turns right now?

YES!!! :laugh:

..... BUT ... :ohmy: ... I made the wrong "Grips" for it, so It won't pull me up the hill more than about a-quarter of the way. :temper:

THIS is the lift that I took my "Model" grip off of,.... notice it turns in the opposite direction. :huh:

..... I missed that when I was removing it. :wacko2:

Attached File(s)

#29 Don CoyoteŽ

cheeeeese!

• 100 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

THIS will be my big project for the summer. :thumbsup:

(I can hardly wait for winter, again)!!! :tongue: .................

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  Tbar1.JPG (93.61K)
    Number of downloads: 87
  • Attached File  Tbar2.JPG (135.44K)
    Number of downloads: 124
  • Attached File  Tbar3.JPG (62.82K)
    Number of downloads: 119

#30 Don CoyoteŽ

cheeeeese!

• 100 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

The T-Bar is complete,..... all it needs is a mechanical power source. (We don't want to redesign the entire electrical system,.... it will likely be Volkswagon-powered). :smile:

THIS is my baby that assists in helping me reach the Poma Lift quicker than my Snowshoes. :biggrin: ......................

(You're very jealous,..... I can tell). :devil:

Attached File(s)

#31 Andoman

Established User

• 395 Posts:
  • Interests:Winning the lotto

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

View PostDon CoyoteŽ, on Apr 21 2009, 07:05 PM, said:

The T-Bar is complete,..... all it needs is a mechanical power source. (We don't want to redesign the entire electrical system,.... it will likely be Volkswagon-powered). :smile:

THIS is my baby that assists in helping me reach the Poma Lift quicker than my Snowshoes. :biggrin: ......................

(You're very jealous,..... I can tell). :devil:

very cool :cool: old michigan ski area.

This post has been edited by Andoman: 21 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

#32 Lift Dinosaur

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,075 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

Still looks like a fixed grip Platter to me - even though I liked your "rack".
Any idea who the manufacturer of the T-Bar is?

Dino
"Things turn out best for the people that make the best of the way things turn out." A.L.

#33 mikest2

Mountain Operations

• Administrator I
  • 1,204 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

View PostLift Dinosaur, on Apr 21 2009, 07:01 PM, said:

Still looks like a fixed grip Platter to me - even though I liked your "rack".
Any idea who the manufacturer of the T-Bar is?

Dino

Judging by the sheave assembly haloes in the drive station, I'd say she's a Doppelmayr type A (bolted sideplate)
...Mike

#34 Don CoyoteŽ

cheeeeese!

• 100 Posts:

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

The guy that owns the property has all the blueprints. :cool:

I could ask him, next time I get around there. :wink:

(Or there might be a nameplate somewhere on it,..... I can look around). :thumbsup:

#35 Don CoyoteŽ

cheeeeese!

• 100 Posts:

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

View PostLift Dinosaur, on Apr 21 2009, 07:01 PM, said:

Still looks like a fixed grip Platter to me

Dino

Hell,.... it could be. :rolleyes:

.....It might have been DESIGNED as a fixed-grip lift, but altered as a detachable. :unsure:

I'm certain they were brand-new when they were installed,..... that still doesn't mean they wearn't "cobbled" together. :huh:

#36 skier691

skier691

• Validating
  • 553 Posts:

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

We got a tour a few years ago, and i am 98% sure I remember seeing that the T-bar is a Doppelmayr.

Don, is there still any T-bar springboxes around, or what will be used on it? Am I corret in thinking that the t-bar is the center lift, and youre 'baby' is the southern most lift? I was wondering why the hill held the snow so good this year??..... lots of packing with your trusty Tucker?

#37 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

View Postskier691, on Apr 22 2009, 06:34 PM, said:

We got a tour a few years ago, and i am 98% sure I remember seeing that the T-bar is a Doppelmayr.

Don, is there still any T-bar springboxes around, or what will be used on it? Am I corret in thinking that the t-bar is the center lift, and youre 'baby' is the southern most lift? I was wondering why the hill held the snow so good this year??..... lots of packing with your trusty Tucker?

Looks to be springboxes still hanging on the lift... Don't look to be Doppelmayr; but I've been wrong before :)
- Allan

#38 mikest2

Mountain Operations

• Administrator I
  • 1,204 Posts:

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

View PostAllan, on Apr 22 2009, 07:11 PM, said:

Looks to be springboxes still hanging on the lift... Don't look to be Doppelmayr; but I've been wrong before :)

Once I thought I was wrong, but fortunately I was mistaken.
...Mike

#39 Bogong

Established User

• 205 Posts:
  • Interests:Corrupting society, Australian ski history, Backcountry and resort skiing, mountaineering, extended hikes, making ski resorts viable summer destinations.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:04 AM

Don. I just have to congratulate you on your wonderful project (or is it a folly?)
If you didn't live on the other side of the world, I'd volunteer a few days work to help you clear that scrub.
Please keep us updated on your progress.

I and some friends have started to record the stories of clubs and individuals who built their own ski lifts here in Australia, including those high above the tree line in the mountains, or just on a hill not far from where they live.

Most of them did it is a hobby with little hope of making a profit and many of them have been thrown off government land, especially in the higher mountains, although a few remain. Details: http://wikiski.com/w...esort_rope_tows
Posted Image
This is a shot of the Mt Northcote tow in the state of New South Wales which survived being hit by an avalanche, but blew up three weeks later when the explosives that were stored on site to blow up the avalanching cornices caught fire. :sad:

Posted Image
This is a pic of the tiny Mt Mawson "club field" in the state of Tasmania. :taz: (Yes, they do have wild devils down there.) They have 3 Nutcracker lifts (which are very rare in North America) and run them on weekends and school holidays. It's autumn in Australia at the moment so there isn't much snow yet. But wait 2 months and there will be lots. :smile: Webcam:

This post has been edited by Bogong: 23 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

Details of every Australian ski lift ever built. http://www.australia...ralianskilifts/

#40 Don CoyoteŽ

cheeeeese!

• 100 Posts:

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:52 PM

View PostAllan, on Apr 22 2009, 06:11 PM, said:

I stopped by and talked to the guy and told him to dig out the old blueprints for me. I asked him if he knew the brand of T-Bar it was..... and as he was scouring the files in his hippocampus, I blurted out,... "Doppelmayr ? " and he pointed at me and shouted,..... "THAT'S THE ONE!!! " .

So yeah,.... it's pretty safe to assume it's a Doppelmayr. :smile:

And yes,..... I haven't counted them, but I'm sure ALL the springboxes are still there, unlike the Pomas which had been picked clean. But many of them need rebuilt,..... no biggie. I'm sure they can't be any worse than the recoil on my old Ski-Doos. :rolleyes:

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users