new lifts 2018

62 replies to this topic

#21 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

View PostAussierob, on 14 December 2017 - 02:00 AM, said:

Just to bump this up. WB are getting a new 2 section gondola to replace Wizard and Solar, a new HSS to replace Emerald and Emerald moving to Blackcomb to replace Catskinner chair. The three removed chairs will be stripped for parts and the rest scrapped.

Ooh, what are ya doing with the YAN parts?
- Allan

#22 Aussierob

Lift Sparky

• Industry II
  • 1,036 Posts:
  • Interests:Search and Rescue
    Hockey
    Ski Touring
    Geocaching

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:14 AM

We still have two of them, so will likely keep anything good if we have room to store it. Anything particular you want?
Rob
Ray's Rule for Precision - Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

#23 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:18 PM

View PostAussierob, on 14 December 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

We still have two of them, so will likely keep anything good if we have room to store it. Anything particular you want?

Ahh thought that may have been the last Yan for you guys... Was thinking a 400hp 475 gearbox/motor combo - the parts I would keep if I were you haha. We need to rebearing our gearbox at some point... and having a working spare would be nice too! Without our Yan we're pretty much dead in the water.
- Allan

#24 teachme

Established User

• 200 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, mountain climbing, mountain biking, and hiking.

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

It will be sad to see Wizard and Solar Coaster go. My first ever high speed chair was Wizard. To this day I remember the acceleration out of the station that first time.

TME

#25 Aussierob

Lift Sparky

• Industry II
  • 1,036 Posts:
    Hockey
    Ski Touring
    Geocaching

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

View PostAllan, on 14 December 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Ahh thought that may have been the last Yan for you guys... Was thinking a 400hp 475 gearbox/motor combo - the parts I would keep if I were you haha. We need to rebearing our gearbox at some point... and having a working spare would be nice too! Without our Yan we're pretty much dead in the water.

Neither Olympic or Magic have a box that big so it should be surplus. Don't know if Vail want to store it for some other ski area in the company.
Rob
Ray's Rule for Precision - Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

#26 Liftkid99

Established User

• 49 Posts:

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:42 PM

Gonna miss Wizard and Solar. Any ideas on manufacturer yet?

#27 Aussierob

Lift Sparky

• Industry II
  • 1,036 Posts:
    Hockey
    Ski Touring
    Geocaching

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:29 AM

View PostLiftkid99, on 14 December 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

Gonna miss Wizard and Solar. Any ideas on manufacturer yet?

Not yet, will know soon, as they are going to have to start manufacturing parts pretty quickly.
Rob

#28 Conrad

Established User

• 167 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, Hockey

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:36 AM

Possible new gondola at Bretton Woods: http://www.newenglan...php?storyid=635

#29 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

You guys are going to have a busy summer for sure!
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#30 trj820

Established User

• 44 Posts:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:05 PM

Does anyone have any idea if the new Aspen-KSL conglomerate is going to build anything. Obviously, Aspen itself is independent, and already has a plan, but what of everyone else?

#31 Smacpats

Established User

• 217 Posts:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

View Posttrj820, on 03 January 2018 - 11:05 PM, said:

Does anyone have any idea if the new Aspen-KSL conglomerate is going to build anything. Obviously, Aspen itself is independent, and already has a plan, but what of everyone else?

Snowbowl HSQ perhaps. At this point, this might be the closest we are to the HSQ going up since I first skied Stratton 12 years ago.

#32 chairliftsrcool

Established User

• 26 Posts:
  • Interests:skiing, snowboarding, flying

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

Exciting news out of my home mountain, Copper replacing American Flyer & American Eagle. More info: http://www.coppercol...-at-copper-2018

Gonna miss the lifts I've ridden for the last 21 years.

#33 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

You beat me to it. I've known for a while but we hadn't made it public. Should be a welcome upgrade.

#34 vons

Established User

• Industry II
  • 940 Posts:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

I heard about this weeks ago and Dean showed me the green sheet for Eagle last week. About right for Copper replace drive and controls and then replace the lift the next year.

#35 NoPainNoJane

Established User

• Industry II
  • 169 Posts:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:18 AM

View Postliftmech, on 05 March 2018 - 09:52 AM, said:

You beat me to it. I've known for a while but we hadn't made it public. Should be a welcome upgrade.

are summer operations for mountain biking/hiking/etc. going to be suspended for the summer or are they going to try to build them simultaneously?

#36 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

View PostNoPainNoJane, on 05 March 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

are summer operations for mountain biking/hiking/etc. going to be suspended for the summer or are they going to try to build them simultaneously?

As far as I know we are suspending on-mountain ops this summer. Village activities will operate as normal. There will be a great deal of grade work going on at the new top of the Eagle (tower 23-ish) and it has the same line, so there won't be any way to run it one last summer.

#37 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, sailing, music.

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:36 PM

Wow sure will miss both those lifts. Any word on who's building the new lifts and what will happen to the old ones?
-Matt

"Today's problems cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

#38 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

Preliminary word is, we’re getting a great deal of scrap money. Pretty sure LPOA is getting the contract. So we’ve been told.

#39 Peter Pitcher

Established User

• Industry II
  • 194 Posts:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

I'd sure like some of the YAN G assemblies and also the depression wheels, I guess you won't be needing anymore YAN parts

#40 Backbowlsbilly

Established User

• 259 Posts:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

Wow, big and exciting news for Copper! For those on here who work with the mountain, why was Flyer chosen for the bubble six pack and Eagle for the chondola?

3 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users