I'm Voting Republican

166 replies to this topic

#1 skiersage

SAM student

• Administrator I
  • 858 Posts:

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:17 AM

I'm Voting Republican

Just for the record, this video doesn't reflect my political views. I just posted it because it is funny.
-Sage

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And then find someone whose life is giving them vodka and have a party.
-Ron White

#2 Callao

Established User

• Industry I
  • 429 Posts:

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:30 PM

And maybe a little tasteless too.
No matter what side of the fence you are on.

#3 Guest_mjturley34_*

• Visiting Guest

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

I tried licking the screen but couldn't get any taste, but In MY opinion that video was AWESOME !!! No matter if you have a fence or not.

#4 Emax

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,904 Posts:

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:17 PM

View Postmjturley34, on Sep 1 2008, 04:32 PM, said:

I tried licking the screen but couldn't get any taste, but In MY opinion that video was AWESOME !!! No matter if you have a fence or not.

You gotta' eat a lot of nerd food while at the computer - then the screen will have a flavor... a familiar one at that.

I'll have to say that this kind of video spread about during a campaign serves no positive purpose. The average American voter is dumb enough and poorly informed enough as it is.

This post has been edited by Emax: 01 September 2008 - 03:20 PM

There are three roads to ruin; women, gambling and technicians. The most pleasant is with women, the quickest is with gambling, but the surest is with technicians. Georges Pompidou

#5 Andoman

Established User

• 395 Posts:
  • Interests:Winning the lotto

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

View PostEmax, on Sep 1 2008, 07:17 PM, said:

You gotta' eat a lot of nerd food while at the computer - then the screen will have a flavor... a familiar one at that.

I'll have to say that this kind of video spread about during a campaign serves no positive purpose. The average American voter is dumb enough and poorly informed enough as it is.

pizza usually flavors the screen and keyboard of a laptop nicely. :wink:

#6 Snoqualmie guy

Snoqualmie guy

• 1,065 Posts:
  • Interests:Snoqualmie Pass ski areas

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

Wow, can't say I really enjoyed it.
- Jeff

Why couldn't they of come up with "Global Cooling"?

#7 Callao

Established User

• Industry I
  • 429 Posts:

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

Humor is a good thing, but when we are discussing big decisions and making arguments one way or the other, it's important that we don't use the Appeal to Ridicule fallacy. There is no sense in making a straw man out of another's argument, especially now, when the American people really need to focus on legitimate issues rather than a mere appeal to emotion.

#8 hoodoo

Established User

• Industry II
  • 199 Posts:
  • Interests:Retirement

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:29 PM

View PostCallao, on Sep 2 2008, 06:15 PM, said:

Humor is a good thing, but when we are discussing big decisions and making arguments one way or the other, it's important that we don't use the Appeal to Ridicule fallacy. There is no sense in making a straw man out of another's argument, especially now, when the American people really need to focus on legitimate issues rather than a mere appeal to emotion.

A very controlled response after the beating you took on this one!
No, I will be the pattern of all patience; I will say nothing.
William Shakespeare

#9 Guest_mjturley34_*

• Visiting Guest

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

View PostSnoqualmie guy, on Sep 2 2008, 06:05 PM, said:

Wow, can't say I really enjoyed it.

Wow, you can't vote anyways ?

#10 Emax

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,904 Posts:

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:33 PM

After listening to Sarah Palin's speech tonight, I AM voting the republican ticket - just because she's part of it.

We may be seeing Republicans redefined - and the end of beltway "business as usual".
There are three roads to ruin; women, gambling and technicians. The most pleasant is with women, the quickest is with gambling, but the surest is with technicians. Georges Pompidou

#11 hoodoo

Established User

• Industry II
  • 199 Posts:

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:32 PM

View PostEmax, on Sep 3 2008, 08:33 PM, said:

After listening to Sarah Palin's speech tonight, I AM voting the republican ticket - just because she's part of it.

We may be seeing Republicans redefined - and the end of beltway "business as usual".

All it takes is one good speech huh? Why so easy?
William Shakespeare

#12 Guest_mjturley34_*

• Visiting Guest

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

I heard there were some pics of Gov Palin in a stars & stripes bikini. If she sent me an autographed copy I might could vote for her :smile: :smile:

#13 hyak.net

Established User

• 346 Posts:
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Basketball, Ski History....

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:12 PM

Rudy gave a darn good speech too! Sarah is not part of the political establishment, and she actually has a record of cleaning up the corruption in her own party in Alaska. Would be fun to see if she could do anything in WA DC, and we need to drill our own oil!

#14 Emax

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,904 Posts:

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:37 AM

View Posthoodoo, on Sep 3 2008, 10:32 PM, said:

All it takes is one good speech huh? Why so easy?

'Twern't that easy - I've been checking.
It wasn't so much the well-crafted speech as it was the individual revealed by it.
George Carlin warned us that if honesty were introduced into American politics, the whole system would collapse - that honesty would screw this country up. I'm willing to take that chance.

#15 k2skier

Established User

• 285 Posts:

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:33 AM

View PostEmax, on Sep 3 2008, 08:33 PM, said:

The only way a Republican "has" changed is they're not conservative any more.

If you really think the Republicans are going to change their ways in the future then the RNC's propaganda machine did it's job.

#16 hoodoo

Established User

• Industry II
  • 199 Posts:

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:33 AM

These conventions (both parties) are meant to inspire their party... neither one of them have given any insights into what they truly have in mind. They are photo ops (Cindy McCain stroking the head of Palin's baby like he was a dog) . Palin's speech was just what I expected.. nothing more nothing less. The only thing new - she want's to be a disabilities advocate. I think she took the Obama bashing a bit far.... I personally am sick of the attack tactic's. I don't think people want just change, they want accountability. And the way the war in Iraq is talked about (at the Rep. convention), like it is this major success.. how far can they put their head in the sand on that one?.. denial pisses me off

This post has been edited by hoodoo: 04 September 2008 - 07:53 AM

William Shakespeare

#17 Callao

Established User

• Industry I
  • 429 Posts:

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

View Posthoodoo, on Sep 4 2008, 09:33 AM, said:

I think she took the Obama bashing a bit far.... I personally am sick of the attack tactic's. I don't think people want just change, they want accountability. And the way the war in Iraq is talked about (at the Rep. convention), like it is this major success.. how far can they put their head in the sand on that one?.. denial pisses me off

I wouldn't just pin the "head in the sand" problem on republicans. See, none of us are actually over there, and none of us are eye-witnesses. I'm not confident that most blabbing Americans know what is going on, or what they are talking about. The ones who do, aren't talking. Keep that in mind when watching the news. There are too many gullible advocates when what we really need are experts with reason, and real numbers for measurement.

As for the bashing thing, that's taken far on both sides. For instance, think of the whole "Palin's daughter is pregnant!" attack from liberals. It inappropriate. I commend Obama for his comment on the subject:
"I think people's families are off limits . . . It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as a governor or her potential performance as a vice president. I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories."

#18 Callao

Established User

• Industry I
  • 429 Posts:

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:39 AM

Just to add to that: maybe I am a little too skeptical of things I hear from others, but when I hear somebody accuse others of "having their heads in the sand," I really question whether that accuser has any better view. Perhaps it is that accuser who has his head in the sand.

Does anybody here have any good, hard numbers for the Iraqi War? I have hard numbers for climate stuff, but following war stuff isn't my thing--I am not an expert there. If somebody has real evidence, I'd love to be persuaded one way or another.

#19 hoodoo

Established User

• Industry II
  • 199 Posts:

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:04 AM

Looks like fun , huh Callao?

Palin thinks the war in Iraq is a task from God... wonder what these guys think?

This post has been edited by hoodoo: 04 September 2008 - 09:18 AM

William Shakespeare

#20 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

Here are some real numbers for you Callao:

U.S. SPENDING IN IRAQ

Spent & Approved War-Spending - About $600 billion of US taxpayers' funds. In June 2008, President Bush signed a bill approving about 200 billion more for 2008, which brings the cumulative total to close to $800 billion.

U.S. Monthly Spending in Iraq - $12 billion in 2008

U.S. Spending per Second - $5,000 in 2008 (per Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid on May 5, 2008)

Cost of deploying one U.S. soldier for one year in Iraq - $390,000 (Congressional Research Service)

Lost & Unaccounted for in Iraq - $9 billion of US taxpayers' money and $549.7 milion in spare parts shipped in 2004 to US contractors. Also, per ABC News, 190,000 guns, including 110,000 AK-47 rifles.

Missing - $1 billion in tractor trailers, tank recovery vehicles, machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and other equipment and services provided to the Iraqi security forces. (Per CBS News on Dec 6, 2007.)

Mismanaged & Wasted in Iraq - $10 billion, per Feb 2007 Congressional hearings

Halliburton Overcharges Classified by the Pentagon as Unreasonable and Unsupported - $1.4 billion

Amount paid to KBR, a former Halliburton division, to supply U.S. military in Iraq with food, fuel, housing and other items - $20 billion

Portion of the $20 billion paid to KBR that Pentagon auditors deem "questionable or supportable" - $3.2 billion

Number of major U.S. bases in Iraq - 75 (The Nation/New York Times)

TROOPS IN IRAQ

Iraqi Troops Trained and Able to Function Independent of U.S. Forces - 6,000 as of May 2007 (per NBC's "Meet the Press" on May 20, 2007)

Troops in Iraq - Total 149,233, including 140,000 from the US, 4,000 from the UK, 900 from Poland, 650 from South Korea and 3,683 from all other nations

U.S. Troop Casualties - 4,142 US troops; 98% male. 91% non-officers; 82% active duty, 11% National Guard; 74% Caucasian, 9% African-American, 11% Latino. 19% killed by non-hostile causes. 54% of US casualties were under 25 years old. 72% were from the US Army

Non-U.S. Troop Casualties - Total 313, with 176 from the UK

US Troops Wounded - 30,509, 20% of which are serious brain or spinal injuries (total excludes psychological injuries)

US Troops with Serious Mental Health Problems - 30% of US troops develop serious mental health problems within 3 to 4 months of returning home

US Military Helicopters Downed in Iraq - 68 total, at least 36 by enemy fire

IRAQI TROOPS, CIVILIANS & OTHERS IN IRAQ

Private Contractors in Iraq, Working in Support of US Army Troops - More than 180,000 in August 2007, per The Nation/LA Times.

Journalists killed - 130, 86 by murder and 44 by acts of war

Journalists killed by US Forces - 14

Iraqi Police and Soldiers Killed - 8,530

Iraqi Civilians Killed, Estimated - A UN issued report dated Sept 20, 2006 stating that Iraqi civilian casualties have been significantly under-reported. Casualties are reported at 50,000 to over 100,000, but may be much higher. Some informed estimates place Iraqi civilian casualities at over 600,000.

Iraqi Insurgents Killed, Roughly Estimated - 55,000

Non-Iraqi Contractors and Civilian Workers Killed - 554

Non-Iraqi Kidnapped - 306, including 57 killed, 147 released, 4 escaped, 6 rescued and 89 status unknown.

Daily Insurgent Attacks, Feb 2004 - 14

Daily Insurgent Attacks, July 2005 - 70

Daily Insurgent Attacks, May 2007 - 163

Estimated Insurgency Strength, Nov 2003 - 15,000

Estimated Insurgency Strength, Oct 2006 - 20,000 - 30,000

Estimated Insurgency Strength, June 2007 - 70,000

QUALITY OF LIFE INDICATORS

Iraqis Displaced Inside Iraq, by Iraq War, as of May 2007 - 2,255,000

Iraqi Refugees in Syria & Jordan - 2.1 million to 2.25 million

Iraqi Unemployment Rate - 27 to 60%, where curfew not in effect

Consumer Price Inflation in 2006 - 50%

Iraqi Children Suffering from Chronic Malnutrition - 28% in June 2007 (Per CNN.com, July 30, 2007)

Percent of professionals who have left Iraq since 2003 - 40%

Iraqi Physicians Before 2003 Invasion - 34,000

Iraqi Physicians Who Have Left Iraq Since 2005 Invasion - 12,000

Iraqi Physicians Murdered Since 2003 Invasion - 2,000

Average Daily Hours Iraqi Homes Have Electricity - 1 to 2 hours, per Ryan Crocker, U.S. Ambassador to Iraq (Per Los Angeles Times, July 27, 2007)

Average Daily Hours Iraqi Homes Have Electricity - 10.9 in May 2007

Average Daily Hours Baghdad Homes Have Electricity - 5.6 in May 2007

Pre-War Daily Hours Baghdad Homes Have Electricity - 16 to 24

Number of Iraqi Homes Connected to Sewer Systems - 37%

Iraqis without access to adequate water supplies - 70% (Per CNN.com, July 30, 2007)

Water Treatment Plants Rehabilitated - 22%

This post has been edited by Skier: 04 September 2008 - 12:05 PM

- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users