The end is near

19 replies to this topic

#1 skier691

skier691

• Validating
  • 553 Posts:

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:44 AM

The skiing here in michigan is coming to a end fast. Only Brule will be open after sunday. This sports season and life is too short not to go as much as you can. This weekend will be a drink filled, sunny, spring ski filled days here, for us lucky enough to be done all ready. :cool:

#2 WBSKI

Whistler Skiier

• 1,164 Posts:
  • Interests:Downhill Skiing, Nordic Skiing, Web Development, Outdoors in general, ect.

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:12 AM

sniff sniff.

We still have Whistler till June though!

#3 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:11 AM

We closed on the second, even though we have enough snow to stay open until at least easter.
- Allan

#4 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:27 AM

My department is already done but the central colorado resorts are comming to the end too although we did get 9-12" in the central mountains yesterday morning. It was a bit heavy but nice to have a late season powder day.

This post has been edited by poloxskier: 08 April 2006 - 09:29 AM

-Bryan

Theres a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#5 hyak.net

Established User

• 346 Posts:
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Basketball, Ski History....

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:30 AM

View PostWBSKI, on Apr 8 2006, 08:12 AM, said:

sniff sniff.

We still have Whistler till June though!

I think BlackComb usually runs through the first week in Aug. I know I've done some snowboarding in July there in the past.

#6 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:44 AM

We're done next weekend (the 16th) as are most places in the state. Loveland closes May 7th, and the Basin hasn't yet set a date.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#7 heavenly_romer

HI

• 316 Posts:

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

euh....we're still getting snow, so no end is in sight for Tahoe.

#8 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:40 PM

In the northwest, it seems to be more about money than lack of snow. Crystal is closing next week, even though they have 150" of snow at the top. They could even stay open until May or June, but no one seems to be going up there. They make no money in the spring so they close early.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#9 WBSKI

Whistler Skiier

• 1,164 Posts:
  • Interests:Downhill Skiing, Nordic Skiing, Web Development, Outdoors in general, ect.

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

I went to Grouse today, it was like a normal week day or less busy! Closing Apr 17th. Snow is patchy in spots and no snow under the trees on the cut.

#10 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:53 PM

Do to that fact that Mt. Bachelor still has so much snow and a close city, it's closing date hasn't been decided yet. CarrieTride told me that she thought Mt. Bachelor might be open till May with the Sunrise and Summit lift open. This is what Mt. Bachelor did back in the 80s and 90s, but would stay open till July 4th and then close with a big party.
- Cameron

#11 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:
  • Interests:Chairlifts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:13 PM

I will be skiing outside of Colorado for the first time in June. :)
Jeff

#12 Jonni

Dreams drive the world.

• Administrator I
  • 849 Posts:

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:26 AM

Killington is supposed to stay open to May 21st, and there are a few other places that will probably stay open into May along with it. Sunapee closed last Monday, so I'm off for the next couple of weeks, but skiing will still be had at Tuckerman's Ravine probably well into June.
Chairlift n. A transportation system found at most ski areas in which a series of chairs suspended from a cable rapidly conveys anywhere from one to eight skiers from the front of one line to the back of another.

Your Northeastern US Representative

#13 spunkyskier01

industry trainee

• Industry II
  • 379 Posts:

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:17 PM

id love to see kmart stay open till may 21'st, cause that will mean miricals are real
Everything is just loop-de-loops and flibertyjibbit

#14 mmsa

Established User

• Industry II
  • 73 Posts:
  • Interests:Elk Hunting, Archery of any type,

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:25 PM

Here at Mammoth we are plannig on staying open until July 4, and probly the weekend after. 630"+ snow fall so far and more storms in the forcast.
I don't understand it
I've cut it twice and it is still too short

#15 cjb

Established User

• Industry II
  • 598 Posts:
  • Interests:cycling, snowboarding, running, scuba

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:30 PM

View Postmmsa, on Apr 9 2006, 04:25 PM, said:

Here at Mammoth we are plannig on staying open until July 4, and probly the weekend after. 630"+ snow fall so far and more storms in the forcast.

And I am planning on getting a few days in there, after we close May 1. I love Mammoth in the spring (Old School Park Rat)

#16 towertop

Established User

• Industry II
  • 335 Posts:

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:44 AM

I don't know, after 25 years in the industry... I'm ready for this season to end. There use to be a time I prayed for the endless winter, now I just wish all the people would just go away and leave the mountain to us once again for another summer.
What now?

#17 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:06 PM

Well, Crystal closed yeaterday with 160 inches of snow, including 15 inches just in the past few days. It is still amazing to me how they can close with the amazing conditions. Usually they close when the snow runs out.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#18 edmontonguy

Edmontonguy

• 927 Posts:

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:31 PM

We just got 3 or so Cenimeters on Sunday. Considering we've been snow free for a few weeks now it was surprising. A lot of resorts close with almost he whole mountain open. During midweek operations it's common to be alone on almost every ride up the mountain, eventually the economics don't warrant the resort to be open any longer.

#19 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:10 AM

View Postedmontonguy, on Apr 17 2006, 10:31 PM, said:

We just got 3 or so Cenimeters on Sunday. Considering we've been snow free for a few weeks now it was surprising. A lot of resorts close with almost he whole mountain open. During midweek operations it's common to be alone on almost every ride up the mountain, eventually the economics don't warrant the resort to be open any longer.

That's the same reason why we close early - whole mountain open but nobody there skiing! But then we close and everyone complains... even though they haven't skied in two weeks.
- Allan

#20 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:02 PM

DV, PCMR, and The Canyons all closed last Sunday with about 100 inches on the ground, and they got more yesterday
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users