Carrier designs that have been used the longest

11 replies to this topic

#1 DonaldMReif

Established User

• 1,980 Posts:

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

What carrier designs among lift manufacturers have been used the longest with minimal changes?

I think one that comes to mind is Doppelmayr's EJ chair, since I believe that showed up starting in the mid-1980s around the time the first high speed quads were built at Vail, and it's still used today (especially when I compare chairs on older Doppelmayrs like the Northwoods Express to newer ones like the Mountaintop Express).

The other would probably be Leitner-Poma's Omega carrier, which I think has been around since at least the mid to late 90s. I think there are more noticeable differences, though, in this design of carrier since it originally was introduced, which is easier to see when comparing the chairs from an early Omega carrier lift like the Mercury SuperChair (1997)....
Posted Image

....to newer chairs, such as the ones retrofitted onto the Beaver Run SuperChair in 2014:
Posted Image

While those two come to mind right away, are there any other chair designs out there that a current or former lift manufacturer utilized for more than ten years ?
YouTube channel for chairlift POV videos and other random stuff:
https://www.youtube....TimeQueenOfRome

#2 snoloco

Established User

• 444 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing
    Ski lifts
    Ski areas

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

How about the old CTEC chairs like the ones found on the North Quad at Gore Mountain? These were used since the mid 80's up until the mid 2000's, so at least a 20 year run for these. These chairs were so popular that they were not only used on hundreds of CTEC lifts built during the time they were offered, but they were also used as replacement chairs on dozens more lifts from different manufacturers.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by snoloco: 24 February 2015 - 07:04 PM

#3 iceberg210

Bald Eagle Lifts: Defying Gravity

• Administrator II
  • 1,055 Posts:
  • Interests:42

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

Can you still get a centerpole double chair from TSI or Surperior? I bet that takes the cake by a good couple decades in terms of longest lasting chair design ;)
Erik Berg
Bald Eagle Lifts: Defying Gravity
http://www.baldeaglelifts.com

#4 Tramway Guy

Established User

• Industry II
  • 58 Posts:

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:39 PM

The Hall chair design from 1962, modified slightly in 1969 (flip-up seat), was supplied on new lifts into 1990. The Hall Triple chair was mostly unchanged from 1969 through 1990; and was slightly modified till 1996.

#5 NHskier13

Established User

• 567 Posts:
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

Don't forget the Garaventa-CTEC style chair. To my knowledge these were introduced in '95 and the earliest ones can be seen on lifts like the Wildwood at Vail:
Posted Image
The most recent ones I know of are at Loon, but there might be more out there. The carrier designs are the same, but the lincoln express (1st image) has no back pads, unlike the north peak express (2nd image)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 NHskier13

Established User

• 567 Posts:
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

You could also say these kinds of riblet chairs. I don't know when they were introduced then discontinued, but...
1994 :
Posted Image
(Snowcat Triple @ Wildcat, NH) (photo credit : Conrad)
2003 :
Posted Image
(Park Triple @ Crotched, NH) Please note that these lifts normally have the seat pads in the winter.
EDIT : It appears that the CHAIR has been around for longer than I thought. Some lifts like those Breckenridge, CO are Riblet doubles like this one from 1972 with a similar chair design however the hanger arm is different than the newer ones.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by NHskier13: 05 March 2015 - 01:40 PM

#7 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,896 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:59 PM

No, you were correct. That style was introduced in the late 80s. The ones at Breck are replacements for the original centre-pole carriers.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#8 DonaldMReif

Established User

• 1,980 Posts:

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

Are Lift E's chairs the original chairs? Because of the five Riblet double chairlifts at Breck, it's the only one of the five to not use the chair design in that photo.
YouTube channel for chairlift POV videos and other random stuff:
https://www.youtube....TimeQueenOfRome

#9 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,896 Posts:

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

A and E are original ( unless A has been changed since I was there last).

#10 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:01 AM

Think the CTEC Vail chairs were slightly modified in 2007 (two-slat backrests, a different connection point between the hanger and bail, and a new footrest that hits me in the head), and retired for good between 2008-2012 in favor of the Doppelmayr EJ chairs.
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#11 2milehi

Established User

• Industry II
  • 1,027 Posts:
  • Interests:Makin' sparks, breakin' part

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:01 PM

View Postliftmech, on 05 March 2015 - 08:00 PM, said:

A and E are original ( unless A has been changed since I was there last).

A minor correction. The A Chair started its life as a double chair and was later converted to a triple chair.
Anything is possible when you don't understand what you are talking about.

#12 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,896 Posts:

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:25 AM

Did not know that. Thanks!

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users