Rope Speed Question

okemo quantum four

6 replies to this topic

#1 Conrad

Established User

• 167 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, Hockey

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

Recently I noticed this sign in a photo of the Quantum Four chairlift at Okemo, previously known as the Jackson Gore Express. Leitner Poma 2002, renovated 2015, original speed of 1,100 ft/minute.

I can't believe the speed was only 580 ft/minute when I rode it while most detachables travel at least 900 ft/minute. The photo was from January 2017, but I don't remember it being particularly slow.
Any reason why this sign might say that? Also, why is it necessary for there to be signs with the rope speed? I see these signs on many other detachables.

Posted Image

#2 Lift Dinosaur

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,075 Posts:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:36 PM

I’m thinking those signs are for summer downhill loading. The signs are required for loading foot passengers.

This post has been edited by Lift Dinosaur: 14 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

"Things turn out best for the people that make the best of the way things turn out." A.L.

#3 RibStaThiok

Established User

• 1,057 Posts:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

That 580 ft per min is the max speed allowed in the loading/unloading area
Ryan

#4 william b

Established User

• Industry II
  • 122 Posts:

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:06 AM

At top terminal loading areas on detachables, there is sometimes a limit on rope speed for loading because of stopping distances. In the most adverse condition, if a grip trips a profile switch, or other switch as it exits the terminal, the lift must stop before the grip in question travels beyond the first tower where the rope breaks over. In some cases that first tower is fairly close, so that at full speed the grip would travel beyond the tower. The solution is to limit the speed while loading.

wbl

#5 aug

Lift Maint. Manager

• Industry II
  • 745 Posts:
  • Interests:Flatlander heckling

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

william b, on 15 November 2017 - 06:06 AM, said:

At top terminal loading areas on detachables, there is sometimes a limit on rope speed for loading because of stopping distances. In the most adverse condition, if a grip trips a profile switch, or other switch as it exits the terminal, the lift must stop before the grip in question travels beyond the first tower where the rope breaks over. In some cases that first tower is fairly close, so that at full speed the grip would travel beyond the tower. The solution is to limit the speed while loading.

wbl

this is the definitive answer.
"Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish—a product of the demented imagination of a lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate who has found a way to live out where the real winds blow—to sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whisky, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love and not getting arrested . . . Res ipsa loquitur (it speaks for it self). Let the good times roll." HT

#6 Conrad

Established User

• 167 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, Hockey

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

Ah, I get it, thanks for the explanation wbl. Originally I just assumed the rope speed was then general lift speed when people are riding the lift, not a specific situation when someone boards to travel downhill. Since it is so rare to occur in the winter, it is not inconvenience to simply slow the lift down when someone downloads. And I can confirm that the top tower is not far out of the terminal.

#7 SkiDaBird

Established User

• 509 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for this thread y'all. I've had this question for years and always forgotten to ask. The more I know.

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users