Winter Park

98 replies to this topic

#21 Duck

Mechanical Designer

• 391 Posts:
  • Interests:-Snowboarding and lifts :)<br />-Transportation Technology<br />-Windturbines<br />-Amusement Rides and Technology<br />-Industrial Automation and Robotics (the industry in which I am employed)<br />-Minimoto

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:49 AM

Haha, okay, oops. Good to know! :thumbsup:

-Iain

#22 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:14 PM

If you look at the top terminal of the Alpha lift, its got the same drive terminal as the Poma Alpha fixed grip lifts today, placed behind the turnaround. The haul rope runs right out the back of the terminal
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#23 Durrrant

Established User

• 73 Posts:
  • Interests:skiing, firefighting, girls, etc.

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:30 PM

I donno about you guys, but i really like the Alpha/Falcoln, more than the newer POMA terminals. In fact, all of the older deatcahble terminals are cool... there all different, unlike newer terminals, which are all identical, Especailly since the Lietner-Poma merger and Dopp-CTEC-Partek merger, i have the feeling that all we are gonna see from now on are the UNI-gs and whatever poma's design is.

This post has been edited by Durrrant: 26 January 2005 - 03:31 PM

Alex Durant

UMFC 71/81

Skiing could be the greatest sport ever... besides girls. There both up there.

#24 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:38 PM

Even though Doppelmayr CTEC will only manufacturer the UNI-GS here in North America, you can still order the UNI-G or MCS terminal if you wish from Doppelmayr of Europe.

I also presume that you can even order the L-P terminals over in Europe to North America if you wish.
- Cameron

#25 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:46 PM

Poma's current design is called the Omega, keeping with the Greek alphabet trend

Posted Image
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#26 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:49 PM

floridaskier, on Jan 26 2005, 05:14 PM, said:

If you look at the top terminal of the Alpha lift, its got the same drive terminal as the Poma Alpha fixed grip lifts today, placed behind the turnaround. The haul rope runs right out the back of the terminal
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are there many of the alphas that have the drive at the base like the Coney Glade at Snowmass? It looks kinda wierd compared to the others that I've seen.
-Bryan

Theres a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#27 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:54 PM

Siberia Express at Squaw Valley and the HSQ at Hunter I know have it set up that way.
- Cameron

#28 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 27 January 2005 - 04:57 AM

Kicking Horse, on Jan 25 2005, 11:29 PM, said:

I thought you said last year that outrigger was suppose to be running this year?  <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently management reversed their decision because not only is the lift not in running condition, it's not even on this year's trail map. But as I said in that post you quoted, lift maintenance was told last season to bring the lift back up to speed. Who knows. Eskimo has never had that big of a line when I've been there, and Outrigger is kind of unnecessary at this point.
Discovery could be an original install; Heron went out of business in the early 80s and that may have been their last lift. The bottom terminal (which I forgot to photograph :bangin: ) is a Heron modified with hydraulic tension and Yan depression sheaves.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#29 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:
  • Interests:Chairlifts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:50 AM

Outrigger would be a good lift to do the testing on.... just like they did with the riblet double.
Jeff

#30 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:53 PM

It might even be more entertaining- it is a Yan, after all :aaskull: :devil:

#31 Durrrant

Established User

• 73 Posts:
  • Interests:skiing, firefighting, girls, etc.

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:50 AM

liftmech, on Jan 28 2005, 09:53 PM, said:

It might even be more entertaining- it is a Yan, after all :aaskull: :devil:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:thumbup: :biggrinsmiley: :biggrinsmiley: :thumbup: :---: :---:
Alex Durant

UMFC 71/81

Skiing could be the greatest sport ever... besides girls. There both up there.

#32 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:04 PM

liftmech, on Jan 27 2005, 06:57 AM, said:

Apparently management reversed their decision because not only is the lift not in running condition, it's not even on this year's trail map. But as I said in that post you quoted, lift maintenance was told last season to bring the lift back up to speed. Who knows. Eskimo has never had that big of a line when I've been there, and Outrigger is kind of unnecessary at this point.
Discovery could be an original install; Heron went out of business in the early 80s and that may have been their last lift. The bottom terminal (which I forgot to photograph :bangin: ) is a Heron modified with hydraulic tension and Yan depression sheaves.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought that Heron went out of business in the late '70s. Wasn't that why copper had to have Yan reengineer and install pitchfork, the old molly hogan?

This post has been edited by poloxskier: 01 February 2005 - 02:31 PM

-Bryan

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#33 highspeedquad

Fixed grip hater, L-P lover.

• 764 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:12 PM

Outrigger does seem to get in the way most of the time. And since Eskimo is Winter Park's newest lift, it probably isn't going to need a lot of down time. There is no reason to keep Outrigger. But do some testing on it!!! :devil:

The falcon/alpha lift design was their high speed lift. But once they compacted it into an improved terminal, there became no need for the expanded terminal.

Attached File  topstation2_thumb.jpg (10.37K)
Number of downloads: 8 This is Poma's oldest drive terminal

Attached File  topstation3_thumb.jpg (9.54K)
Number of downloads: 7 This is Poma's next drive terminal
My life or my chocolate: Give me a minute, I'm thinking.

Isn't it odd that "politics" is made up of the word "poli" meaning many, and "tics" meaning blood-sucking creatures?

#34 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:33 PM

I presume the reasony why the Colorado SuperChair doesn't have an Alpha drive is because its motors were too big to fit into the Alpha terminal and so the lift had to be a vault drive. The American Flyer at Copper is the same way too. I personally think that both the vault and Alpha terminal designs were available at the same time.
- Cameron

#35 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:39 PM

Thats what I thought since the Falcon and the Colorado at Breck were installed the same year but are different drive configurations.
-Bryan

#36 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:47 PM

Wait- I thought the Falcon was at least one year older? It has the older chain configuration and had the older carriers as well. The terminal was named the Falcon after that lift, and there are at least a few around older then '86. The Flyer and Colorado are twins- fraternal at least since the Flyer is a much bigger lift. That aside, you could buy either terminal for at least one year (1986) because of the three '86s I know of, two have the vault and one (WP's Pioneer) has the Alpha/Falcon combo.

#37 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:49 PM

poloxskier, on Feb 1 2005, 02:04 PM, said:

I thought that Heron went out of business in the late '70s.  Wasn't that why copper had to have Yan reengineer and install pitchfork, the old molly hogan?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, Copper had Yan do the redesign because they were already there building A-lift. We have service bulletins (for lifts we no longer have- go figure) from the Heron-Wright Company dated June 1981, so they were around at least that long.

#38 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:50 PM

Everything I have ever seen indicates they were installed the same summer. I'll do some digging to se what I can find.
-Bryan

#39 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:55 PM

If so, it would be odd that one lift has the older equipment configuration and carriers. Perhaps Poma had a lift left over. Out of curiosity- does the Falcon have solid sheaves or spoked ones? I didn't notice the one time I rode it. The spoked sheaves are 420mm versus the 450mm solid sheaves, and the 420s wear out faster according to WP's mechanics. They also were not available on detachables after 1985.

#40 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:57 PM

I'm about 95% sure that they are solid.

This post has been edited by poloxskier: 01 February 2005 - 10:58 PM

-Bryan

2 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users