1978 Lift Installation Survey Help

153 replies to this topic

#1 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:38 PM

Hi everyone, I'm currently working on the 1978 lift installation survey and need your help on finding the names of some ski areas that are either going by a different name now or if they went out of business.

Names:

Assiniboine, Sunshine Village - Alberta (Either gone now or is part of Sunshine Village Ski Resort {Goats Eye Area?})
Mt. Joy Ski Club, Lloydminster - Alberta
Paskapoo - Alberta
Diamond Head, Squamish - British Columbia
Garibaldi, Whistler - British Columbia (Maybe Whistler? There was a Double chair installed by Mueller with a length of 4094 ft and vertical of 881 ft)
Mt. Arrowsmith, Vancouver Island - British Columbia
Tillicum Valley, Vernon - British Columbia

I might need some help find the names of lifts tomorrow when I start that part.

Thanks again

Cameron
- Cameron

#2 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:11 PM

Assinbone was the name of one of Sunshines T-Bars. I think Giribaldi must be Whistler, there was never another area in Whistler
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#3 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:24 PM

Whistler is a town and SAM usually lists the nearest city to the ski area or the town with the biggest population in that area so it might have been up the road 20 miles or more.
- Cameron

#4 edmontonguy

Edmontonguy

• 927 Posts:

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:40 PM

Goat's eye was not opened until 1995 so it's not that part of sunshine. Most likely it was near the lodge. Paskapoo if i'm not mistaken is what is now known as COP or the Canadian Olympic Park.

#5 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:45 PM

There was a station there though with the old Von Roll gondola, so there had to be something there.
- Cameron

#6 orangegondola

Established User

• Industry II
  • 108 Posts:

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:50 PM

Garabaldi ski lifts co built whistler. The meuller was certainly at whistler.

#7 WBSKI

Whistler Skiier

• 1,164 Posts:
  • Interests:Downhill Skiing, Nordic Skiing, Web Development, Outdoors in general, ect.

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:23 PM

This is very interesting, Diamond Head is a mtn which is east of Squamish, it is now in a park and you can back country ski in there now, i asked my mum and she say that she kind of remembers a ropetow in Heather Meadows which is halfway up to the peak. Its kind of open gladed skiing up there now. Mt Arrowsmith is a closed ski area near Port Alberni (Vancouver Island) i hope to visit it soon. The lift at Whistler is Little Red Chair (I checked my lift info sheet), it has now been replaced with Franzs Chair which runs a similar liftline i think. Tillicum Valley... I think that it might be an old name for silver star or the old ski hill that had a ropetow before silver star. Im not too sure about the last one.

#8 edmontonguy

Edmontonguy

• 927 Posts:

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:02 PM

As far as i know the mid-station on the sunshine gondola was access to the old wheeler double chair but it may have also served to take skiers down the hill too because the ski-out is not open the entire season. Goats eye was definately not developed though until 1995.

#9 Guest_altaskier_*

• Visiting Guest

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:38 AM

Sunshine's Assiniboine T-Bar was replaced by the Jackrabbit fixed-grip quad several years ago. It was first installed give beginner access to the ski out when the shuttle bus access road was converted to a run following installation of the first goldola.

This post has been edited by altaskier: 31 August 2005 - 07:38 AM

#10 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:36 AM

I have just posted the 1978 lift installation survey. If know the names of any lifts that arn't listed or if the resort name has changed, please tell me and I will make the corrections ASAP.

http://skilifts.org/install_na1978.htm
- Cameron

#11 WBSKI

Whistler Skiier

• 1,164 Posts:
  • Interests:Downhill Skiing, Nordic Skiing, Web Development, Outdoors in general, ect.

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:44 PM

Ok Ski Bachelor, heres a couple. 1.I am 99.9% sure Tillicum Valley is Silver Star. Which means that the lift is probably the Summit Chair. The Triple at Diamond Head is very strange considering the is no road to get up there in the winter. The lift at whistler is Little Red Chair. There is an Upper T-bar and a lower one at Mt Arrowsmith. Im not sure which is which.

#12 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:57 PM

Okay, the 1977 lift installation sheet is now up.

http://skilifts.org/install_na1977.htm
- Cameron

#13 WBSKI

Whistler Skiier

• 1,164 Posts:

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:30 PM

Lift at Harper is Huser Chair

#14 boardski

Established User

• Industry II
  • 760 Posts:

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:21 AM

SkiBachelor, on Sep 1 2005, 07:57 PM, said:

Okay, the 1977 lift installation sheet is now up.

http://skilifts.org/install_na1977.htm
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In reference to the CO installs for '77, is the double chair installed at Keystone the Checkerboard, Argentine, or Pack 1 (originally called "Go Devil")? And I am assuming the install at WP is the Arrow chair originally as a double? I have noticed it looks as if the sheave trains have been adjusted outward from the tower heads at some point accommodating wider chairs. Maybe they converted it the following year when the Outrigger went in.
Skiing since 1977, snowboarding since 1989

#15 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:56 AM

Thanks, I think the lift installed at Keystone in 77 was the Argentine lift since the drive looks of that era and it's about that length too.
- Cameron

#16 Lift Dinosaur

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,075 Posts:

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:47 AM

SkiBachelor, on Sep 3 2005, 11:56 AM, said:

Thanks, I think the lift installed at Keystone in 77 was the Argentine lift since the drive looks of that era and it's about that length too.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Argentine was built in 77 as Checkerboard and Go Devil were built in 76. The 2C at Copper was "J" LIft.
"Things turn out best for the people that make the best of the way things turn out." A.L.

#17 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:38 PM

WBSKI, on Aug 31 2005, 10:44 PM, said:

Ok Ski Bachelor, heres a couple. 1.I am 99.9% sure Tillicum Valley is Silver Star. Which means that the lift is probably the Summit Chair. The Triple at Diamond Head is very strange considering the is no road to get up there in the winter. The lift at whistler is Little Red Chair. There is an Upper T-bar and a lower one at Mt Arrowsmith. Im not sure which is which.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While looking at the 1976 lift installation survey, Silver Star is listed as Silver Star instead of Tillicum Valley. So maybe Tillicum Valley is not Silver Star but a lost ski area? I should e-mail Silver Star to find out.
- Cameron

#18 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:14 PM

Alright, the 1976 lift installation sheet is now up. It's not finished all the way yet and there are lift names that I can still add like the Paradise chair at Red and Red Tram at Grouse. But if you know the name of a lift, please post it, the same goes for if a resort changes its name.

http://skilifts.org/install_na1976.htm
- Cameron

#19 big air

New User

• 11 Posts:

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:48 PM

Tillicum Valley was a separate ski area from Silver Star. It was outside of Vernon on the lower part of the road to SilverStar. Never skied there so I don't know what they had for lifts. Small area. I believe it closed in the 80's.

My memories of Diamond head are a bit foggy, like the weather there. The Diamond Head lift never ran. The base of the lift was near the existing highway and ther towers could be seen on the mountain from the highway. I'm not sure if the cable and carriers were ever installed. The developer of the area went broke before the area ever opened and was abandoned.

This post has been edited by big air: 04 September 2005 - 10:01 PM

#20 WBSKI

Whistler Skiier

• 1,164 Posts:

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:24 AM

big air, was the at diamond head lift in Heather Meadows or elsewhere?

The lift at silver star built in 1976 is Blue Chair

Blue chair constructed. It went about halfway up where the Vance Creek (Comet Express) is now. Later dismantled and sold to an area in Alaska.

The tram at grouse is the Red Skyride

Your header for the 1976 says 1977

Last Mountain should be changed to Crystal Mountain and on the history it says the mtn opened in 1967

The triple at red is Paradise

The T-bar at LL is now the Summit Platter, my parents remember it as a T-bar and they probably just changed carriers to platters.

Oops: Sorry SkiBachelor, typo on Blue Chair, it was built in 76 not 66 and after typing that i thought i was doing 66 so ya the Red Skyride was built in 75.

So Sorry about the mix up

This post has been edited by WBSKI: 07 September 2005 - 01:46 PM

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users