←  Skilifts.org General Discussion

Skilifts.org / SORT Forum

»

Trail names

liftmech's Photo liftmech 22 Feb 2005

My all-time favourite has to be Snowbird's 'Regulator Johnson'. I don't have a clue what it means but it's just so nonsensical. Other good ones are Teddy Bear Chutes and Screaming Babies (Crystal) and Spanky's Ladder (Blackcomb).
Others?

Duck's Photo Duck 22 Feb 2005

Chicane @ Chicopee, only 'cause it's my sentimental favourite trance group (Nick Bracegirdle) that got me into that genre yeaaars ago. ;)

-Iain

Boeinglover's Photo Boeinglover 22 Feb 2005

I like the name Pali-Wag (A-basin). :)
This post has been edited by Boeinglover: 22 February 2005 - 07:48 AM

floridaskier's Photo floridaskier 22 Feb 2005

Gitalong Road at Vail is an accurate description of the run

edmontonguy's Photo edmontonguy 22 Feb 2005

Some of my favourites are:

Ogoslow @ Big White: Named after the Ogopogo which is depicted as being long and windy, the slow is because at points this run is actually flat.

Get Me Down, Heaven Can Wait @ Panorama

2/3 Shoulder @ LL

Delerium Dive @ Sunshine

Class Is In @ Marmot Basin

Ho Chi Mihn Trail @ Marble Mountain/Chamonix

Several Lord of the Rings references: Hobbit's hollow @ Marmot Basin, Mirkwood @ LL

pyrotechnik's Photo pyrotechnik 23 Feb 2005

"the chute" at baker. how much more general can they get??

Bill's Photo Bill 23 Feb 2005

Easy trail names are better. For instance, when I worked for Crystal, I had to know the names and number designation for every lift (ie: C1- Miner's Basin, C-10 Rainier Express, etc) and we also had to know the trail names and where they we generally located.

That way if an accident occured, and a skier told you it was on Spook Hill, you knew exactly where to send Ski Patrol.

liftmech's Photo liftmech 24 Feb 2005

pyrotechnik, on Feb 23 2005, 07:53 AM, said:

"the chute" at baker. how much more general can they get??
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's 'The Canyon', too, off the opposite side of chair 1 from The Chute...

Before Timberline was built the run underneath old I-lift was called 'I-Beam'. We've still got I-Dropper and I-Way, but no-one knows why they're called that except for a few longtime skiers and us mountain employees. I-Beam has been renamed 'The Moz' after Harry Mosgrove, longtime general manager before Intrawest came in. It was his favourite run.

Durrrant's Photo Durrrant 24 Feb 2005

At jay they have:

Deliverence Glade
Staircase Glade
U.N. (has two meanings: Unbeliveably Nice or Unusually Nasty)

Boeinglover's Photo Boeinglover 24 Feb 2005

liftmech, on Feb 24 2005, 05:48 AM, said:

There's 'The Canyon', too, off the opposite side of chair 1 from The Chute...

Before Timberline was built the run underneath old I-lift was called 'I-Beam'. We've still got I-Dropper and I-Way, but no-one knows why they're called that except for a few longtime skiers and us mountain employees. I-Beam has been renamed 'The Moz' after Harry Mosgrove, longtime general manager before Intrawest came in. It was his favourite run.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting, that's one of my favorite runs at copper.

iceberg210's Photo iceberg210 25 Feb 2005

Whoever named the runs at Snowbird sure knew how to suck up to Dick Bass with names of runs like Bassacwards, Bassanova, and the Dick Bass Highway. You also have to love the run Steeper then Hell (STH) which is legendary for its great drop. Elevator shaft is a real tight chute that is quite aply named.

Alta is more regular in its names although I always enjoy kidding out of towners about how they like punch before we go down Punch Bowl.

heavenly_romer's Photo heavenly_romer 08 Apr 2005

My Favorite trail names:

Chute that seldom slides--alpine meadows

Widow maker--heavenly

Larry's lip--kirkwood

spunkyskier01's Photo spunkyskier01 10 Apr 2005

i beleive every resort in vermont has one trail named perry merril

ISMrider's Photo ISMrider 10 Apr 2005

I am a fan of Middle Earth at the bush....

Powdr's Photo Powdr 11 Apr 2005

How about:

Mary's Nipple (Grand Targhee)
Heuvos Grande (Mammoth)
Climax (Mammoth)

and my all time favorite:

Glory Hole (PCMR)

Kicking Horse's Photo Kicking Horse 11 Apr 2005

hooker @ powderhorn.

naked lady (lift and trail) I wonder how it got that name...

floridaskier's Photo floridaskier 11 Apr 2005

They had 'Ford Country' next to Glory Hole. I kinda liked that one. But that went away when Chevy became the Official Truck of PCMR and DV. Now it's called 'Fool's Gold', which isn't anything good
I like 'Muckers' at PCMR

Aussierob's Photo Aussierob 12 Apr 2005

Kicking Horse, on Apr 11 2005, 05:39 PM, said:

hooker @ powderhorn.

naked lady (lift and trail)  I wonder how it got that name...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We had a run on Blackcomb called Hooker, but we had to change it as it wasn't politically correct any more. :cry:
Names @Whistler Blackcomb
Lobotomy
Don't miss
Friday the 13th (permanently closed)
Lemmings leap

Just out of bounds
The Poop chutes, including Poopy left, Poopy right and Way poopy :biggrin:

WBSKI's Photo WBSKI 13 Apr 2005

Wow, I thought all the trails were on the trail map or are these unofficial trails?
This post has been edited by WBSKI: 13 April 2005 - 06:52 AM

iceberg210's Photo iceberg210 19 Apr 2005

Some more at Snowbird that I forgot are runs like Blue By You (Which is a Black), Living the Dream (which truly is on a powder day), Great Scott, Gadzooks, Mach Schnell (just like the sound of the name really), Not quite Corn (which although makes absolutely no since is a great run) and of course the aply named Phone 3 Shot which oddly starts right by Emergency phone #3.

At Alta like I previously said its far more run of the mill although Sunspot is aply named for what it is. There is also a Glory Hole at Alta and by Wildcat there is another aply named run Rock Gulley. Alta really is quite literal and unimaginative when it comes to runs with names like Low, High, West, and North Rustler.

At Solitude they have runs that have common themes in thier names that are by each other. An example of this is Paradise Vertigo and Paradise Lost. Or Inspiration, Serenity and Challenger. I do appreciate thier tribute to one of my favorite philosohpers in Voltaire.

At Brighton they put up a question which is where is Chute 1 as the only run that has Chute in it is Chute 2. Also Endless Winter is a fun run and a good name but thats about where it ends there besides for My O My.

I've always wanted to name runs things such as Mr. Run and Spaceballs the Run. Or Surely You Must be joking and another named I'm not and don't call me Shirley.