←  Skilifts.org Technical Discussions

Skilifts.org / SORT Forum

»

Detachable Chair Spacing

SkiKC's Photo SkiKC 20 Jan 2020

Reading some old posts got me curious - when it becomes necessary to bring a single chair offline during normal ops, how does the system compensate for the 2x spacing that's left between the chair in front and behind?
I know that the most basic premise of a detach is that chair spacing is calculated but constant and carrier position on the haul rope changes each time a carrier comes through a terminal.
So - subtract a chair or two - will the system adapt spacing moving forward so that all chairs will eventually be evenly spaced again, or will it maintain a 2x space on the haul rope until the removed chair is sequenced back in?

Lift Dinosaur's Photo Lift Dinosaur 21 Jan 2020

Basically, spacing is done by as series of ‘counts’ or ‘pulses’. If a carrier is within a certain window (+ or - 2M) the spacing system remains inactive. If it varies from the allowable window, it will either speed up or slow down the carrier. In the case of a removed carrier, the counter will go beyond a normal count and then reset, so It will maintain the gap.
Hope this helps.
Dino

2milehi's Photo 2milehi 22 Jan 2020

There are some systems that allow you to turn "gap detection" on. If it is not turned on when a chair is removed, the gap is closed.

lift_electrical's Photo lift_electrical 27 Jan 2020

Hi Mike,

Are these systems that space off chair one or the carrier in front of them?

Jeff

liftmech's Photo liftmech 30 Jan 2020

L-P's current system spaces off chair one. Their older one (if I recall correctly) used chair one for a rope length measurement, but referenced the carrier spacing off the one in front. It was pretty wild seeing the cumulative error at the end of the line sometimes- you'd see impossible numbers as if you were missing ten or eleven chairs (or had ten or eleven too many). Doppelmayr I have no idea about.

2milehi's Photo 2milehi 05 Feb 2020

I am familiar with Doppelmayr, newer Poma, and the in-house ones. Each space off of chair 1 and a calculated rope length.

The user inputs rope length for the Doppelmayr and can be turned off/on. The in house ones calculate rope length each chair one orbit and can be turned off/on. The Pomas are similar to the in house ones but you can't turn off spacing.

Also the Doppelmayrs have course spacing at the bottom terminal. It works like gondola spacing on a Doppelmayr where the carriers are spaced to an A-pluse counter.