The Yellowstone Club

53 replies to this topic

#21 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

How do those pulse quads operate? Do they run at detachable speeds on the line since loading and unloading isn't a problem? Do they only run them when somebody shows up? It has to be a little weird at first skiing with nobody else around.

When did the YC open for skiing?
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#22 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

I believe YC opened in 1998.

The pulse quads run very slowly (detachable loading speed) when there are chairs at the terminals and halfway up the line. Othewise, they run at 1000 fpm. Both have 4 clusters of chairs, spaced so that when 1 set is at the bottom, another is at the top, a third is halfway down and the fourth is halfway up (Meadow has a Midstation at this point).

The Pine Ridge pulse quad gets no skiers at all so when I skied up they started it for me. They keep a cluster of carriers just outside the bottom terminal. However, it still slows down half way through even if no one is loading because the carriers cannot go through the terminals at 1000 fpm. There are 4 groups with 5 chairs in each group for a total of 20 chairs.

The Meadow chair actually gets a fair number of skiers since it has actual ski runs off it. It runs constantly and you just wait for a group of chairs to show up. It also has 4 groups of chairs but only has 3 in each group for a total of 12 chairs. Because of this, it has an extremely low capacity and actually had a line at one point.

And it really isn't skiing with no one else around. On the day I went this year, there were more than 500 skiers! People were whining so much about that it was pretty ridiculous. Also, aside from the lifts, there really isn't aanything that great about the place. The terrain at Big Sky is better, and the people are much more friendly. The food was really expensive and you actually have to pay for it! If anyone ever gets the chance to go, do it for a unique experience if nothing else.

This post has been edited by Skier: 24 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#23 coskibum

Established User

• Industry II
  • 596 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, Running, Mountain Biking, Baseball, Hiking, ski history, and Chairlifts.

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:30 PM

cool pictures! I have a trail map from a year or two after it opened and that might be as close as I ever come to the YC. They sent me an info packet with the map since I was on the Warren Miller mailing list back in like 1998 or so (they must have thought I had a bunch of $$). Little did they know, I was only a freshmen in high school!

#24 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:42 PM

Do you mind scanning that map sometime for me?
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#25 coskibum

Established User

• Industry II
  • 596 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, Running, Mountain Biking, Baseball, Hiking, ski history, and Chairlifts.

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

my scaner isn't working with my new computer yet but it's on my to-do list. when it works again i'll scan it.

#26 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, sailing, music.

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

:kewlpics: I was waiting for someone to go to the YC! You're sooooooooooooo lucky. The snow looks great!
-Matt

"Today's problems cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

#27 Carl

Established User

• Industry II
  • 302 Posts:

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

Attached File  YellowstoneClub.jpg (97.27K)
Number of downloads: 198

This is all the closer I got!
Carl

#28 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:49 PM

When I was standing at about that spot I heard someone yell to a friend that that was the new Dakota Lift terrain!
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#29 Snoqualmie guy

Snoqualmie guy

• 1,065 Posts:
  • Interests:Snoqualmie Pass ski areas

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

How many acres is YC?
- Jeff

Why couldn't they of come up with "Global Cooling"?

#30 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

2,200 acres
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#31 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

That's almost as big as Copper- I had no idea.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#32 Snoqualmie guy

Snoqualmie guy

• 1,065 Posts:
  • Interests:Snoqualmie Pass ski areas

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

How does a lift have no tensioning such as the one in your first few posts?
- Jeff

Why couldn't they of come up with "Global Cooling"?

#33 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

It is over a river, so it does not matter how much the line sags.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#34 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, sailing, music.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

My thoughts are:

1: It's very short (you could throw a stone for the length of the line)
2: It has two-way travel
3: There's really no vertical difference between stations, so there would be little sag in the line
4: Most of the time there is very little load on the line.

So everybody can see where all of these lifts are, here's a trail map:

http://www.theyellow...ng/trailmap.pdf

This post has been edited by skierdude9450: 15 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

-Matt

"Today's problems cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

#35 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

View PostCarl, on Mar 26 2008, 11:27 AM, said:

This is all the closer I got!
Carl

I got to the front gate two years ago but was unable to get anything other than a basic information package out of it.
-Bryan

Theres a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#36 fireonthemountain

Established User

• Industry II
  • 32 Posts:
  • Interests:anything ski lifts, hunting, fishing and craft beers

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostPeter, on 23 March 2008 - 08:20 PM, said:

Well I asked someone there and they said it was fine as long as there are no faces. We'll see how long they last on here. Clearly I took plenty of pictures and no one seemed to have a problem! There are pictures of the lifts in the Dopplmayr Worldbooks, Flickr, and on chairliftpaint.com for example.

thats true...we were relocating a bottom drive terminal in what must have been 2006 and the front gate guard always made us sing a waver and made sure we didnt have a camera or anything...he aalways said haaaavvvve a good one...wonder if he is still there

#37 Nate214

Established User

• Industry II
  • 266 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, snowbiking, mountain biking, camping, hiking, cars

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

Looks nice

#38 Backbowlsbilly

Established User

• 259 Posts:

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

This video from The Yellowstone Club's youtube page shows one of their lifts with what appears to be new bubble chairs, like the ones used on the Orange Bubble Express at Canyons except with clear bubbles instead of orange ones. (http://youtu.be/HDEjpvsnETw?t=17s) They only did this for every other chair, which I knew was the practice up there with the private bubbled lifts like the one at Spanish Peaks, but does anybody know if they got new bubbles this summer or at least recently?

Side Note: I know this is off topic, but I'm headed up to Big Sky (not Yellowstone Club) and if there's anything that you guys would like pictures of or anything just let me know. Also terrain suggestions would be appreciated. :)

#39 vons

Established User

• Industry II
  • 940 Posts:

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:03 AM

I live in Bozeman and ski Big sky often, unfortunately I am heading to Utah and Colorado friday otherwise I'd show you around.

I tend to ski Moonlight side of the resort the snow tends to be better when there hasn't been a storm in awhile and when there is new snow the powder hounds don't seem find the trees over there right away. I also like parking feet from the lift so the Madison base area is tops for that. I hate standing in an hour plus long line for the tram so I tend to stay away from it unless it is really epic and I get there early or its a thermal inversion, (the trams base can sometimes be in fog but the terrain is in the sun, people cannot tell so there will be no line till the inversion burns off).

#40 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:
  • Interests:Chairlifts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

Hey,

While at Big Sky make sure to take a ride on the Lewis Clark Chair aka the 420 chair... Every other chair is a bubble. (odds chairs). She Runs 875 fpm. 20 sec chair spacing with 26 chairs total. As a 700hp Detroit as a diesel Aux that purrs like a kitten when running...

As Vons says powder can be found off Six Shooter days after a big storm. I highly suggest starting out at the moonlight side of the mountain. Closet parking to the lifts. :)
Jeff

2 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users