Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:44 AM

What do some of you folks use for load testing a lift :dry:

This post has been edited by liftmech: 12 October 2007 - 04:58 AM

#2 Alta Cyn

Established User

• Industry II
  • 25 Posts:

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:19 PM

Unusually enough, we ordered over 300 bags of 1/4 inch gravel, it was easy to put on and take off, it wasn't particularly messy and we can use it afterwards
If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x, y is play and z is keeping your mouth shut.

#3 Telemecanique

New User

• Industry II
  • 9 Posts:

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

View Postsnowbird45, on Oct 1 2007, 03:44 PM, said:

What do some of you folks use for load testing alift:dry:

We were able to get our beer supplier to provide us half kegs filled with water to load test our gondola. I have also heard that pepsi or coke provided the ballast for the gondola load test at Whiteface in the form of bottled soda.

#4 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:10 PM

Many places use garbage cans filled with water, others use cardboard boxes lined with plastic and filled with water.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#5 mikest2

Mountain Operations

• Administrator I
  • 1,204 Posts:

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

sandbags by the hundreds
...Mike

#6 EagleAce

Established User

• Industry I
  • 716 Posts:
  • Interests:driving large trucks and learning all that I can about lifts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:09 PM

I don't know how Badger does theirs.

#7 vons

Established User

• Industry II
  • 940 Posts:

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

I know that Beaver Creek has a trailer full of trash cans for this purpose seems the seven year requirement and the number of new lifts or lift modifications justified the cost. They where talking about renting them out to get even more bang for their buck

#8 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:23 AM

View Postvons, on Oct 2 2007, 11:03 AM, said:

I know that Beaver Creek has a trailer full of trash cans for this purpose seems the seven year requirement and the number of new lifts or lift modifications justified the cost. They where talking about renting them out to get even more bang for their buck

I presume Vail Resorts' other resorts use them as well since they're so close.
- Cameron

#9 snowbird45

New User

• Industry II
  • 2 Posts:

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

thanks,i'll pass the word,many options

#10 puk

Established User

• Industry II
  • 28 Posts:

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

Managers, marketing staff, ski school instructors, ski patrollers and as many snow makers as you can gather , as they are all exppendable, and easily replaced by mentally challenged children from a local institution. Cinder blocks are great if you have a project at the top of the hill , otherwise, go with the wet set and use water as described above.

#11 lift_electrical

Established User

• Industry II
  • 337 Posts:

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:25 AM

Plastic trash cans with a hole drilled near the bottom that a cork is inserted from the inside. This way you just push the cork in and the water runs out. Try and team up with any local ski areas to help reduce the cost and possibly share the storage of the trash cans. With the seven year load test requirement, it is nice not to have a big trash pile after every test.
Of all things, it's a Patriots fan watching us.........

#12 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

We have garbage cans that we line with bags - we used to use corks but as the cans get older they start to crack. Now with the bags in them - they poke out the cork hole a bit and you can just stab them with something on the way by and they drain on the way down!

This would work too :)

Attached File(s)

- Allan

#13 Snoqualmie guy

Snoqualmie guy

• 1,065 Posts:
  • Interests:Snoqualmie Pass ski areas

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

That lift has alot of sag in the cable. The only lift I've seen that had that was a '88 Riblet triple, Sliver Fir at Ski Acres.
- Jeff

Why couldn't they of come up with "Global Cooling"?

#14 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:39 PM

The Paradise chair and Red chair do that here, the new lift didn't really look like it did it too much.
- Allan

#15 cjb

Established User

• Industry II
  • 598 Posts:
  • Interests:cycling, snowboarding, running, scuba

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:17 PM

We used cardboard boxes, double lined with liners. On the bottom of the side of the box we drilled a 1"ish hole with a hole saw to drain them easily. We were able to reuse most of the boxes for multiple load tests and we passed on the liners to facilities maint. for use during the season. We still have enough boxes left to do a couple of more lifts. It was easy to use snowmaking hydrants for a water supply, much easier than sand bags, concrete, etc... You never have to pick up the 'weight', just the hose!
Then you puncture the bag and let the weight drain. :thumbsup: As for getting your weight right, measure one box exactly then make a dipstick to measure when you fill the rest on the lift.

#16 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:53 AM

What happens to the garbage cans or whatever once they get to the top? Does the lift go at full speed in a load test?
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#17 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:13 PM

View Postfloridaskier, on Oct 4 2007, 12:53 PM, said:

What happens to the garbage cans or whatever once they get to the top? Does the lift go at full speed in a load test?

We poke holes in the garbage bags and send the cans back to the bottom where the truck is. Yes the lift is brought to full speed - it's also allowed to roll back into the rollback device.
- Allan

#18 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

Well, Breck was load testing the Colorado from what their webcam shows.... It looks lie they use garbage cans with water.

Attached File  peak8.today.jpg (42.65K)
Number of downloads: 97

#19 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:58 AM

View Postcjb, on Oct 3 2007, 08:17 PM, said:

We used cardboard boxes, double lined with liners. On the bottom of the side of the box we drilled a 1"ish hole with a hole saw to drain them easily. We were able to reuse most of the boxes for multiple load tests and we passed on the liners to facilities maint. for use during the season. We still have enough boxes left to do a couple of more lifts. It was easy to use snowmaking hydrants for a water supply, much easier than sand bags, concrete, etc... You never have to pick up the 'weight', just the hose!
Then you puncture the bag and let the weight drain. :thumbsup: As for getting your weight right, measure one box exactly then make a dipstick to measure when you fill the rest on the lift.

That's exactly how we do it as well. I think I like this method best, the only issue is when you have a lift with no snowmaking nearby. We once ran 500' of hose to get the job done, but it was a thrash. For poking holes in the liners I've built a quick-and-dirty tool; an 8' stick of bamboo, a spike from snow fencing, and lots of electrical tape. That way you're out of the way of (most) of the water when it gushes out of the box.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#20 cjb

Established User

• Industry II
  • 598 Posts:
  • Interests:cycling, snowboarding, running, scuba

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:42 AM

View Postliftmech, on Oct 5 2007, 05:58 AM, said:

the only issue is when you have a lift with no snowmaking nearby.

If we don't have snowmaking nearby then we don't have a lift so that isn't a concern here. :w00t:

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users