Ski lift controls question

78 replies to this topic

#21 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:51 PM

Thanks you guys! You were a great help. I think the Fast, Freight selector must be for when they attach a work car or non-passenger car to the line. I believe the switch slows the lift down to a set speed if it is put in Freight mode. The switch was in fast position when the lift was running.

I am however, still not sure what the Service Stop button does. I think it must act as a parking brake or something. The stops are numbered on the master panel as so; 1: Normal Stop, 2: Service Stop, 3: Emergency Stop (with a lock mechanism on it) I think it is part of the lock out procedure. Any ideas????

This post has been edited by Lift Kid: 13 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

#22 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:22 PM

Normal stop and service stop are essentially the same thing - both apply the service brake, however one may have a delay when the brake applies (at least on one of our FG's) to create a smoother stop. Emergency stop is really an emergency shutdown - cutting power to the drive controls, basically shutting the lift down - and applying the bullwheel brake.
- Allan

#23 SuperRat

Established User

• Industry II
  • 311 Posts:

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:44 PM

View PostLift Kid, on Aug 13 2007, 09:51 PM, said:

I am however, still not sure what the Service Stop button does. I think it must act as a parking brake or something. The stops are numbered on the master panel as so; 1: Normal Stop, 2: Service Stop, 3: Emergency Stop (with a lock mechanism on it) I think it is part of the lock out procedure. Any ideas????

Normal Stop : The electric motor begins slowing the lift (regenerative braking). When the lift slows to a preset speed the service brake closes and stops the lift. This kind of stop should be the smoothest of the three and its minimizes brake wear.

Service stop: The service brake closes and stops the lift with no assistance from the electric motor.

Emergency Stop (aka Emergency Shutdown): The emergency brake closes and stops the lift with no assistance from the electric motor.

Your right about the lock for the E-Stop button, its for locking out the lift for maintenance.

#24 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:00 PM

Thanks. I have all of the images that I will put on my site labeled now. All I have to do is put them online! I think I can have them done by tomorrow.

#25 lastchair_44

Established User

• Administrator II
  • 1,159 Posts:

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

Master Reset was a test switch for the stop loops on the CTEC, GaraventaCTEC detachables I worked on. Flip it to test in the morning during pre-ops. and when you depressed stop buttons, or flipped switches the son-alarm would sound letting you know the switch was functional.
-Jimmi

#26 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:39 PM

Thanks!

#27 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

For all of you guys who work on or operate Doppelmayrs, How does the slow, medium, normal, neutral, fast knob work? Do you turn it to slow, then it goes back to neutral? Do you speed it up by putting it in neutral? Anything else you could include would help as well!

This post has been edited by Lift Kid: 25 August 2007 - 07:19 PM

#28 SkiLiftsRock

Established User

• Industry II
  • 301 Posts:
  • Interests:Industrial Engineering

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Can you buy push buttons just to have? Or even an old panel?

#29 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:20 AM

Charlie-- the speed control switch on Doppelmayrs has four positions. Low is maintained, medium is maintained, and fast will return to neutral once you let go of it. Fast speeds the lift up just like more common pushbutton would. Neutral means the lift can be sped up, it doesn't do anything otherwise. Because low and medium are maintained-position functions, the operator can lock the lift in that speed setting until he or she is ready to go back to fast.

Skiliftsrock-- lift control buttons and switches aren't exactly unique; they're industrial controls found in many applications such as factories and plants. They're not cheap either. That being said, why do you want an old control panel or buttons?
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#30 SkiLiftsRock

Established User

• Industry II
  • 301 Posts:

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

On a Dopp. CTEC HSQ. When you push the slow button, does it apply the brakes at all until it gets to the slow speed, or does the motor stop going so fast?

#31 SuperRat

Established User

• Industry II
  • 311 Posts:

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

When you select slow on any lift the motor or engine does the work

This post has been edited by SuperRat: 30 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

#32 SkiLiftsRock

Established User

• Industry II
  • 301 Posts:

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

View PostSuperRat, on 30 July 2010 - 03:54 PM, said:

Thanks.

#33 2milehi

Established User

• Industry II
  • 1,035 Posts:
  • Interests:Makin' sparks, breakin' part

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:31 PM

View PostSuperRat, on 30 July 2010 - 03:54 PM, said:

To expand upon that - the lift will "ramp" to the new speed. The electric drive has the ability to change speed at a constant rate. Say you are at 5 m/s and you hit a slow that "commands" a speed of 2.5 m/s. The electric drive is programmed to decelerate at 0.5 m/s/s. It will take 5 seconds to bring the lift from 5.0 m/s to 2.5 m/s no matter the load
Anything is possible when you don't understand what you are talking about.

#34 SkiLiftsRock

Established User

• Industry II
  • 301 Posts:

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

View Postlastchair_44, on 09 September 2006 - 10:00 AM, said:

On our Garaventa CTEC detachable chairlifts we have
Reset- Resets some alarms, resets a stop at your station including the stop gate
Master Reset- Resets all alarms, resets faults that can be reset (tower RPD and circuit #2 faults can't be reset until the tower has been adjusted or the affected brittle bar has been replaced) Master resets are located at the operator console inside the shack next to the panelview so you have to look at your stop before you reset it.
Start located at drive station on our lifts.
Start Acknowledge located at return terminal, this button must be pressed by the return op before the drive operator can start the lift.
FastOnly located at drive terminals on our lifts.
MediumLocated at both terminals.
Slow Located at both terminals.
Chair Position Will use pulses to "mark" a chair. The lift's PLC will calculate how many pulses it will take for the marked carrier to reach either terminal and sound an alarm a couple chairs out to alert the operator that the marked carrier may need a slow etc. The alarm is turned off by hitting reset.
StopIssues a normal stop.
Emergency Stop In the case of a normal stop not stopping a lift, the emergency stop should be used...the emergency stop does not stop the lift faster than a normal stop, in fact it takes longer for the lift to stop because an emergency stop kills the drive so there is no regenerative braking.
Ring Sorry I forgot this one...we use one ring to tell the operator at the other end to pick up the line phone and talk. Two rings means start the lift, or speed it up.
Hope that's what you were looking for

When you push the ring button twice are you saying that everything is "all clear" or is it just not mean anything except "Start?"
One more thing. Do ski lifts have some sort of "Morse Code" that operators use to communicate with out using the phone?

#35 zeedotcom

Established User

• Industry II
  • 225 Posts:

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

Do ski lifts have some sort of "Morse Code" that operators use to communicate with out using the phone?

Some people/places do. I'm aware of one place that uses it as "One Slow, Two Go."

Three is pick up the phone. Two rings was also for acknowledgment. If it was a top slow, they would ring twice, the bottom would ring back twice, and then the top would speed up the lift. This was a case where the only buttons at the bottom were stop and ring because the speed control was all on the dial.

#36 vons

Established User

• Industry II
  • 940 Posts:

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

signal codes are different at each resort
copper it is
one beep= start or speed up
two beeps= NO or more precisely maintain current condition
no reply to signal= same as two beeps
three beep = pick up the phone
four beep = pick up motor room phone
The station which has slowed or stopped the lift will signal first regardless of which end drives

#37 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:
  • Interests:Chairlifts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

Snowmass Signal codes as follows;

1 beep hit every estop switch there is
2.Clear for start / speed up
3.Pickup lift phone
4. slow lift down

one loooooooooooooooooooooooong beep means hit the reset and or pull stop out and reset!
Jeff

#38 SkiLiftsRock

Established User

• Industry II
  • 301 Posts:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

View PostKicking Horse, on 22 August 2010 - 09:56 AM, said:

Snowmass Signal codes as follows;

1 beep hit every estop switch there is
2.Clear for start / speed up
3.Pickup lift phone
4. slow lift down

one loooooooooooooooooooooooong beep means hit the reset and or pull stop out and reset!

Most of those signals I have never herd of before. With that 1 beep, why would you do that, and also what if it was an accidental hit?

#39 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

Most areas here in the midwest, including where I work, do not use the signal systems. Of our three chairlifts, only the most recent one has a signal system installed, and the lifty's have no idea what it does. :laugh: No sound-powered phones either. Our area requires the lifty who initiated the stop to call the other lifty and confirm an "all clear." Also, since the return operator gets only three buttons (slow, stop, e-stop) they must also call down to speed the lift up. This varies from place to place. One other area that I used to race at used the shack lights as a signal. (the lift was so short that the return shack could be seen from the drive. 2 flashes = go!

These variations from place to place here in Minnesota and other midwestern areas is due to a lack of regulation. Here in MN, there is no government regulation, but rather lift regulations are left up to the ski area management and their insurance companies.

#40 Aussierob

Lift Sparky

• Industry II
  • 1,036 Posts:
  • Interests:Search and Rescue
    Hockey
    Ski Touring
    Geocaching

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:20 AM

Do'h - Nothing to add, just pressed the wrong button. :censored2:

This post has been edited by Aussierob: 31 August 2010 - 05:25 AM

Rob
Ray's Rule for Precision - Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users