new lifts 2018

62 replies to this topic

#41 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

The Eagle serves our mud-mountain restaurant, so putting a telemix there makes more sense for our non-skiing guests.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#42 Lift Dinosaur

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,075 Posts:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

View PostPeter Pitcher, on 06 March 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

I'd sure like some of the YAN G assemblies and also the depression wheels, I guess you won't be needing anymore YAN parts

Peter- American Flyer ('86) and American Eagle ('89) are both Poma detachables. No Yan parts. :sad:
Dino
"Things turn out best for the people that make the best of the way things turn out." A.L.

#43 RibStaThiok

Established User

• 1,057 Posts:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:10 AM

I believe he was responding to a previous post regarding what WB is doing with their upgrades and elimination of their Yannie lifts.
Ryan

#44 chairliftsrcool

Established User

• 26 Posts:
  • Interests:skiing, snowboarding, flying

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

View Postliftmech, on 05 March 2018 - 09:52 AM, said:

You beat me to it. I've known for a while but we hadn't made it public. Should be a welcome upgrade.

I was excited to hear your take on it! I am very excited about all the changes. As soon as I left (2015) we get a bunch of shiny stuff haha.

How much longer did we have on the grips/gearbox etc.? Also, do you get a part in the new builds or do you maintain the existing lifts until construction is done?

#45 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:00 PM

Hard to say exactly but I'm pretty confident we could have kept those lifts going for a while. Parts availability and increasing fatigue are the unknowns. LP is going to do the build, we have an existing fleet we need to take care of. I'm sure we'll jump in when it gets closer to winter to help out, and to learn the new lifts as we have nothing like them.

#46 SkiDaBird

Established User

• 509 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:58 PM

I'm assuming everyone saw it via Liftblog, BDC, or anyone else announcing the news, but Big Sky's getting an 8 seater next year.

#47 mikest2

Mountain Operations

• Administrator I
  • 1,204 Posts:

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:37 AM

Big White is replacing the Powder triple (1979) with a Poma fixed grip quad
...Mike

#48 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

The Colorado arms race continues....

https://blog.winterp...uction-updates/

#49 Nor'eastSkier

Established User

• 68 Posts:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:07 AM

Snowbowl HSQ at Stratton has just been confirmed, pretty exciting as it's been anticipated for quite some time.

#50 Bogong

Established User

• 205 Posts:
  • Interests:Corrupting society, Australian ski history, Backcountry and resort skiing, mountaineering, extended hikes, making ski resorts viable summer destinations.

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:18 AM

An 8 pack gondola and two new quads are being installed in Australia this year.
  • Falls Creek resort is replacing it's 1980 Eagle triple chair with a Poma detachable quad.
  • Perisher (owned by Vail Resorts) is replacing the 1976 Leichhardt T-bar with a fixed grip quad. (Will probably be a Dopp but not confirmed.)
  • Thredbo is replacing Merritts chairlift (an ancient 1968 Riblet) with an eight seat gondola. That has to be one of the most radical upgrades ever!

Source: the recent news section at the start of Australian ski lift directory

This post has been edited by Bogong: 25 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

#51 Smacpats

Established User

• 217 Posts:

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

View PostNor'eastSkier, on 12 March 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

Snowbowl HSQ at Stratton has just been confirmed, pretty exciting as it's been anticipated for quite some time.

Will be interesting to see how long until they will be regretful and wish they had put in a 6 pack.

Im not complaining though, new fastest route to the top on weekends (or when gondola is on wind hold??) I could see 8.5 minutes be possible.

#52 Smacpats

Established User

• 217 Posts:

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

Stratton appears to be rushing for installing their new chair. I quote today's snow report "Please note that due to the preliminary work being done to prepare construction for the new Sun Bowl" (Their typo, its snow Bowl) "lift, it is incredibly important that you do not access any of the following trails nor enter any of the trees connected to them: Moon Beam, Cabin Fever, Cabot's Run, West Pilot, Lower Wanderer, Ethan's Alley, Work Road, or Upper & Lower Liftline. This is for your own safety."

Upper and lower liftline are definitely closed (There was no tower pads* even last weekend), so they actually might be seriously doing some work this weekend. If I was up this weekend I'd take pics.

This post has been edited by Smacpats: 26 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

#53 sseguin613

Established User

• 155 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:31 AM

Bromont in Quebec previously announced that the Versant du Village #4 detachable quad was being replaced by a six-passenger chairlift.
It was further announced yesterday that it would actually be a Combi lift, 6-pack chairs / 8-passenger gondola. Should be ready for the 2018-19 season, and built by Doppelmayr.
SlopeEdge.net - Dedicated to getting you up close and personal with skiing and adventure

#54 djspookman

POWDER to the People!!

• Industry II
  • 142 Posts:
  • Interests:lots-o-thangs

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

Magic has a number of lift projects to wrap up this summer/ fall. They plan to finish Green (Borvig double); remove Black (Polhig/Yan/Frankenlift) and replace with Stratton's former Snow Bowl Quad! (Poma)

Press release here: https://www.magicmtn.com/

#55 Tin Woodsman

Established User

• 93 Posts:

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:24 AM

View PostSmacpats, on 27 March 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

Will be interesting to see how long until they will be regretful and wish they had put in a 6 pack.

Im not complaining though, new fastest route to the top on weekends (or when gondola is on wind hold??) I could see 8.5 minutes be possible.

I"m guessing never. As between the gondola, Ursa, and Shooting Star, that's up to 22 people hitting the summit every 5-6 seconds. Snow Bowl adds another 4 as currently designed - do you really need 28 people every 6 seconds, especially when lines at Snow Bowl aren't that big of an issue to begin with?

#56 Smacpats

Established User

• 217 Posts:

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:34 AM

View PostTin Woodsman, on 11 May 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

I"m guessing never. As between the gondola, Ursa, and Shooting Star, that's up to 22 people hitting the summit every 5-6 seconds. Snow Bowl adds another 4 as currently designed - do you really need 28 people every 6 seconds, especially when lines at Snow Bowl aren't that big of an issue to begin with?

most of the reason snowbowl lines were never a big problem was because of the ridiculous ride time, which is now fixed. Tons of people skiing meadow and the beginner trails on there also would just ski down to gondola, and get in line there, and that might shift to snowbowl now. Also, there was some 10-15 minute lines that I did wait in at snowbowl (on days where ursa had a 25 minute line and gondola had a 40 minute line), I'd say that a snowbowl HSS and shooting star HSQ would be much better than a shooting star HSS and snowbowl HSQ, but there's not a ton you can do about it.

#57 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:07 AM

Peter retweeted on his blog a picture of the Silver Star gondola towers. Is this a new design for Doppelmayr USA? Those aren't the Euro designs, but also not the CTEC-style ones they've used the past 10+ years

https://twitter.com/...liftblog.com%2F
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#58 Liftkid99

Established User

• 49 Posts:

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:03 AM

Was wondering the same thing. They almost look like the towers used on late 90s/ early 2000’s Doppelmayrs.

#59 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:43 PM

Those have been standard on new Doppelmayr installations for a few years now (we have two lifts with that style).

#60 towertop

Established User

• Industry II
  • 335 Posts:

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:20 AM

View PostAllan, on 14 December 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Ahh thought that may have been the last Yan for you guys... Was thinking a 400hp 475 gearbox/motor combo - the parts I would keep if I were you haha. We need to rebearing our gearbox at some point... and having a working spare would be nice too! Without our Yan we're pretty much dead in the water.

I know sunrise park resort in Arizona has 2 400 hp motors and 2 475 gearboxes that are just going to waste...
What now?

2 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users