Chairlift Identification Help

camelback pennsylvania borvig stadeli rappahannock pullman-berry pullman berry

6 replies to this topic

#1 ne_skier

New User

• 16 Posts:

Posted 04 January 2022 - 11:49 AM

Hello, this is not specifically industry related and I am not in the industry, but I am trying to source the manufacturer for the former Coolmor I chairlift at Camelback, PA. It was installed there in 1980 after being removed from the now defunct Rappahannock Ski Area in Virginia. LiftBlog lists the installation as a Borvig, however after reviewing some videos of the bottom and top terminals alongside some chairs, I am having my doubts.

I did some research on the defunct ski area and found that in addition to a Borvig double chair (Which also operates at Camelback as the Glen Lift), there was also a Pullman-Berry double chair installed at that ski area. As it was Rappahannock's only other chairlift, I've come to the conclusion (for now) that Coolmor I was originally a Pullman-Berry when installed at Rappahannock. The hanger arms also look similar to the former Barker Double at Sunday River, another Pullman Berry (https://newenglandsk...1970s-0000a.jpg)

My question to you experts is if you have any idea where the other parts come from. It looks like the carriers have had their plastic seats swapped out for wood slats. It also appears to have a late 90s Partek motor room. I have no idea who made the terminals, although I am tempted to say the top terminal looks like a Stadeli. Does anyone else have a guess on what this lift could be, or perhaps did anyone do some work on it who knows for certain? Thanks so much.

Here are two video links that show the bottom and top terminals (alongside the chairs) respectively:
https://www.youtube....h?v=kKFq4ZAAM_0
https://youtu.be/mvZrlbj1lg4?t=44

#2 sheave

Established User

• Industry II
  • 114 Posts:
  • Interests:History

Posted 09 January 2022 - 12:56 AM

You can find more on Pullman-Berry and their relation to Staedeli here: http://www.skilifts....showtopic=11167 I haven't been able to finally confirm that Coolmoor II was the P-B from Big Devil, but it is very likely.

#3 ne_skier

New User

• 16 Posts:

Posted 09 January 2022 - 10:20 AM

Thanks. I got my info from a book written about Camelback's history in 1988. It states that in 1972 Camelback bought Big Devil/Rappahannock, installed a lift and ran the area until it's eventual closure in 1974. In 1980, Rappahannock's chairlifts were moved to Camelback. "When it appeared that Rappahannock would not reopen soon, the equipment was moved up to Pennsylvania. The smaller chair lift was shortened and put in Camelback's original, small beginner area, which up until then only had a J-Bar. In 1980, the Borvig chair lift that Camelback had bought for Rappahannock was installed in Camelback's new East Bowl area."

#4 sheave

Established User

• Industry II
  • 114 Posts:

Posted 09 January 2022 - 12:49 PM

The drive terminal definitely is Pullman-Berry (and at least parts of the return), but not the motor room enclosing. What was confusing to me when I first did research on this is that the chair in the video is on the right hand side of the beginners area. But according to old ski maps, this is where the J-bar was and where Coolmoor II was located. Maybe the Pullman-Berry was relocated to the other side of the area when the J-Bar was removed? I did already ask Camelback a few months ago if they have some pictures, but they couldn't find any.

#5 ne_skier

New User

• 16 Posts:

Posted 09 January 2022 - 04:53 PM

I also asked Camelback for some pictures and they never responded, lol.
I noticed that as well, and I'm honestly dumbfounded, they must have moved the lift over to make room for Coolmoor I, the only question is, just why?

You are right about the motor room. It matches the ones present on the Bailey, Glen and Marc Antony lifts.

I am 90% sure that these are replacements however. I saw a vague but clear-enough picture showing Bailey with a wooden drive cover, which is appropriate for a 1977 Borvig. Likely ditto for Glen, originally being an early 70s install at Big Devil. Marc Antony, being a 1982 install, must have had a "glass house" motor room similar to the Green lift at Magic. I'm not sure when these modifications were done, and by who. I think they are very early Partek designs but I am not sure. Here's the motor room on the Meadows lift, which is almost certainly a Partek upgrade.

#6 sheave

Established User

• Industry II
  • 114 Posts:

Posted 10 January 2022 - 09:57 AM

Maybe I talk to someone this week who knows more about all this. What are you looking for in addition to Pullman-Berry - where the other parts came from? Or the exact history of the lifts at Camelback?

#7 ne_skier

New User

• 16 Posts:

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:29 AM

That was pretty much the weak link in my knowledge of Camelback, I pretty much know the rest. Here’s a chairlift.org style history page I made out of boredom: https://docs.google....ap1FI4sM10/edit
Just wanted to make sure the lift was a Pullman Berry as I had thought, and that there weren’t any other modifications that I hadn’t listed. Thanks for the help

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users