Lift Accidents

52 replies to this topic

#41 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:01 AM

There were two accidents in the late 90's in Colorado. Well one accident and one severe breakdown. I never heard anything published about either but at Loveland chair 5(Heron-Poma), when it was still used in favor of busses droped an empty chair while in service. Also the Quicksilver had a major gearbox failure right as I was getting off. I talked to patrol about it and they said that the gearbox froze while the motor was still turning and it basicly sheared off at the joint between the drive shaft and the gearbox. It could have been dangerous because it was the gearbox that was above ground directly under the bull wheel and was completely exposed to skiers.
-Bryan

Theres a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#42 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:
  • Interests:Chairlifts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:59 AM

I was thinking that something happened @ snowmass back in the early 90's with a tower falling over or something Does anyone have any ideas on that one?
Jeff

#43 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:07 AM

liftmechanic, on Feb 11 2004, 08:23 AM, said:

Colorado has a very stong Tramway Board and inspection program. However, I can assure you that in Utah, we have had a very good record for the last 25 years or so (about the time designs were improving). And for the most part the 7 "metro" areas have excellent pm programs.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How is the inspection in Oregon?
Not to offend anyone but when I was at Mt. Hood Ski Bowl a few years back the condition of the Cascade made it look abandoned. I was really suprised to find out that it still was run in the condition that we observed it in.
-Bryan

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#44 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:34 AM

I would presume it's just as good an any other inspection company.

Cascade used to be the old Upper Bowl lift before it was replaced by another double, I'm not sure why, but it was. Anyway, when I was there about 6 years ago, it looked in pretty good condition and from the pictures that Bill took of it about a year ago, I think it is the best I have seen it.
- Cameron

#45 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:55 PM

Oregon uses licenced PEs through the state parks board, as does Washington. There is no tramway board in either state.
In many cases a lift that has not been painted will look bad, even if it is mechanically sound.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#46 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:22 PM

The main things that we saw were the peeling paint which made it look bad although it would have nothing to do with the mechanical soundness. We also saw that none of the lift shacks or the motor rooms were locked up plus the lack of modern controls or phone link between the top and bottom made us think that they are removed and the resort had been abandoned. I'm glad to hear that it looks much beter now and that they have put in alot of improvements. Hopefuly in the next year or so I will make it up there to ski.
-Bryan

#47 Boeinglover

Near expert skier + computer geek.

• 164 Posts:
  • Interests:I like airplanes, skilifts, boats, computers, and skiing. Thanks for reading my profile! <br />P.S. Long live the greeks! :)

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:10 PM

Once, I read about this lady who sued the resort for a "near death experience" on a chairlift. I don't remember who she was or what resort it was called but I know she claimed that she almost fell off the chair 70 feet above the ground. She said it was just plain nerwrecking. It happened in the 70s and she sued in the 90s. Weird. Don't know if it's considered a lift accident. The resort won the sue case by the way, don't know the details.

To be or not to be, that is the question of life.
by William Shakespeare, and not me

I am lucky! I won the heads and tails game 300 consecutive times! You see the rules are: heads I win, tails you lose

#48 Bill

Founder

• Administrator II
  • 2,852 Posts:

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:12 PM

Big detail is the difference in time, around 20 years, that usually is beyond any limit of sature. I think in WA you are limited to 7 years.
- Bill

#49 Boeinglover

Near expert skier + computer geek.

• 164 Posts:
  • Interests:I like airplanes, skilifts, boats, computers, and skiing. Thanks for reading my profile! <br />P.S. Long live the greeks! :)

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:16 PM

That's why she lost, she sued twenty years later. She was 58 and had given up skiing a while back. OH! I remember her name: Nancy. Still don't remember her last name.

To be or not to be, that is the question of life.
by William Shakespeare, and not me

I am lucky! I won the heads and tails game 300 consecutive times! You see the rules are: heads I win, tails you lose

#50 puk

Established User

• Industry II
  • 28 Posts:

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:21 AM

I know that doppelmayr had a problem in Europe involving their boltless sheaves. I think that a side plate failed causing a derailment and I believe, some fatalities occured. The accident prompted Doppelmayr to switch to steel side plates as opposed to aluminum. This was quite a few years back but I know that there are still issues with the side plates and the snap rings which hold them in place. Contact Kevin in the lift maintenance department at Gunstock ski area for more information.

#51 Bill

Founder

• Administrator II
  • 2,852 Posts:

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:03 AM

That actually is covered in the Conceptual Inputs Book. I will see if I can get around to writing up and posting it this weekend.
- Bill

#52 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:55 PM

puk, on Feb 25 2005, 07:21 AM, said:

[B]ut I know that there are still issues with the side plates and the snap rings which hold them in place.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sometimes the problem is as simple as failing to ensure the ring is properly seated when you're building the sheave. I've been taught to go around the sheave and tap the ring with a punch to ensure it's in all the way.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#53 puk

Established User

• Industry II
  • 28 Posts:

Posted 26 February 2005 - 08:09 AM

Setting the snap ring with a punch is one item that Doppelmayr recommends in a service bulletin. Good idea! Other things to look for include liner material in the snap ring groove, old style snap rings with sharp tapered ends resembling a chisel, large space at the joint and distorted or bent snap rings. Snap rings with sharp ends have been observed to migrate while in service causing gouging in the hub and side plate. I have noted metal shavings which one would swear came out of a drill press. A 3/16 round chain saw file can be used to lightly dress up any nicks in the groove on the hub and to remove any galvy or oxidation which may be present prior to re-building. Dimensional tollerance of the liner must also be taken into account as it is the outward force of the compressed rubber which creates a solid assembly of the sheave. There is much to say on this topic but I fear that I am "off topic" .

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users