Cable Catch

44 replies to this topic

#1 Limelight

Established User

• Industry I
  • 314 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:55 PM

Does anyone have pictures of a derailed haul rope sitting on the catch? If and when this happens, what kind of damage (if any) does the catch or rope sustain?

#2 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:00 PM

Limelight, on Jan 2 2007, 01:55 PM, said:

Does anyone have pictures of a derailed haul rope sitting on the catch? If and when this happens, what kind of damage (if any) does the catch or rope sustain?

Two different years, two different derails... the third is what we did to keep that damn rope in the grooves! As for rope damage, all I've seen is some slight abrasion on both the rope and the catcher.
The T-Bar is open now... expect some derail pics sometime soon :)
Sorry the pics are so small, but I can't upload large files.

Attached File(s)

- Allan

#3 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

I'm not positive, but I would think that the rope wouldn't sustain too much damage. The rope catchers on a lift would stop it very quickly. I don't think the cable would get much damage at all.

#4 lastchair_44

Established User

• Administrator II
  • 1,159 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:26 PM

Lift Kid, on Jan 2 2007, 04:09 PM, said:

I'm not positive, but I would think that the rope wouldn't sustain too much damage. The rope catchers on a lift would stop it very quickly. I don't think the cable would get much damage at all.

K...the rope catchers don't stop the lift, the brakes at the drive terminal do. Many different variables come into play on how a cable could sustain damage such as broken wires. The speed of the lift, loaded carriers, the surface condition of the rope catchers themselves. It's very hard to say especially from in-experience how a cable would not sustain "much damage" in the event of a deropement.
-Jimmi

#5 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

Yeah the T-Bar has a deformed section of rope from a deropement, but it was because the lift didn't stop... which will happen when you put a short YAN fork in a Doppelmayr switch!
- Allan

#6 lastchair_44

Established User

• Administrator II
  • 1,159 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:36 PM

damn doppelmayr switches!!! you'd be proud Allan...after doing linework on one of the new UNI-GS lifts I became very familiar with the way the fork goes into the switch body!! :devil:
-Jimmi

#7 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:37 PM

Heh, I remember those pictures :)
- Allan

#8 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

Here is another picture of one from 49 Degrees North:

Attached File(s)

- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#9 Limelight

Established User

• Industry I
  • 314 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

Skier, on Jan 2 2007, 05:43 PM, said:

Here is another picture of one from 49 Degrees North:

Nice!

So in this case, did they just do a evac?

#10 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:51 PM

Yes

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  evac1.JPG (29K)
    Number of downloads: 99
  • Attached File  evac2.JPG (15.67K)
    Number of downloads: 118
  • Attached File  evac3.JPG (29.06K)
    Number of downloads: 109
  • Attached File  evac4.JPG (31.36K)
    Number of downloads: 112

- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#11 Limelight

Established User

• Industry I
  • 314 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:54 PM

Well it looks like they had a good time.

#12 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

I've always thought it would be fun to be evac'd assuming it wasn't freezing cold, windy, etc. Maybe I should volunteer for the training they do.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#13 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:34 PM

Skier, on Jan 2 2007, 05:55 PM, said:

I've always thought it would be fun to be evac'd assuming it wasn't freezing cold, windy, etc. Maybe I should volunteer for the training they do.

That would be interesting.

lastchair_44 said:

K...the rope catchers don't stop the lift, the brakes at the drive terminal do. Many different variables come into play on how a cable could sustain damage such as broken wires. The speed of the lift, loaded carriers, the surface condition of the rope catchers themselves. It's very hard to say especially from in-experience how a cable would not sustain "much damage" in the event of a deropement.

I know the catchers don't. I meant the sensors/forks. I see how it would affect it if the lift was moving quickly and loaded heavily.

#14 shoemanII

Established User

• Industry II
  • 121 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:14 PM

i've seen the results of probably a dozen or so derailments/deropements and the damage ranged from slight scuffing of the rope (a good day), to pulling a tower over and twisting up 3 other sheave trains (not so good).

generally speaking, haul rope material seems to have a nice combinaton of flexibility and wear resistance, coupled with great strength. i've seen ropes saw into a cable catcher, saw into a grip body (fixed grip hung up and slipped on the rope), and destroy a grip/sheave train (detach grip hung up but wouldn't let go). on the other hand, too many chairs taken off in a row for annual NDT lead to an ever-so-soft derailment as the rope got light.

a lift manufacturer once showed me a video of what happens when a lead-in sheave side-plate falls off and the rope derails to the outside, HSQ at 1000fpm. ugly indeed.

as previously said, lotsa variables, lotsa results.

#15 Splicer

Established User

• Industry II
  • 63 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

I have inspected many ropes that have ended up in the cable catchers, and generally there is minimal damage to the rope. Usually there is some single plane abrasion with sharp edges surrounding the eliptical oval wear area, but this wears away after some cycle time. Damage occurs if the rope comes out of the catcher and hangs in the framework or if a chair hangs up in the catcher and damages the rope.

#16 Limelight

Established User

• Industry I
  • 314 Posts:

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

Splicer, on Jan 2 2007, 08:31 PM, said:

I have inspected many ropes that have ended up in the cable catchers, and generally there is minimal damage to the rope. Usually there is some single plane abrasion with sharp edges surrounding the eliptical oval wear area, but this wears away after some cycle time. Damage occurs if the rope comes out of the catcher and hangs in the framework or if a chair hangs up in the catcher and damages the rope.

It looks like that metal got a little hot by its color.

#17 Mike

Established User

• Industry II
  • 131 Posts:

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:44 PM

shoemanII, on Jan 2 2007, 07:14 PM, said:

...to pulling a tower over and twisting up 3 other sheave trains (not so good).

was the tower monitoring system bypassed or something to cause that much damage?

#18 aug

Lift Maint. Manager

• Industry II
  • 745 Posts:
  • Interests:Flatlander heckling

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:55 PM

just think "worlds biggest band saw" (see "rope damage" in "industry only forum")

This post has been edited by aug: 03 January 2007 - 07:57 PM

"Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish—a product of the demented imagination of a lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate who has found a way to live out where the real winds blow—to sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whisky, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love and not getting arrested . . . Res ipsa loquitur (it speaks for it self). Let the good times roll." HT

#19 Allan

Maintenance Manager

• Administrator I
  • 2,745 Posts:

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:06 PM

Sigh... here's another from Thursday... Different tower though.

Attached File(s)

- Allan

#20 Limelight

Established User

• Industry I
  • 314 Posts:

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:33 PM

aug, on Jan 3 2007, 09:55 PM, said:

just think "worlds biggest band saw" (see "rope damage" in "industry only forum")

I'd love to, but us common folk can't see that forum.

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users