• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 25 January 2005 - 04:44 AM

edmontonguy, on Jan 16 2005, 01:27 AM, said:

3 C-5 Mt Baker 52.5 %
If my calculations are correct
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's actually 39%- vertical 1290', horizontal 3307'. Still steep.

Rainier Express at Crystal Mountain- 41%.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#22 crazyskier91

Living in the shadow of the mountains

• Industry I
  • 652 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, Skilifts (duh), Swimming, Computers, Fencing, Changing the layout of my room daily.

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:56 PM

E Chair has one really steep section but I don't know the degrees.
"><a href=Link to Colorado Chairlift Book Website

Elevation 9,600 Feet

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." -- Bill Clinton,
President

#23 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:08 AM

edmontonguy, on Jan 25 2005, 01:57 AM, said:

Lift #1 @ Taos A poma Quad is really steep at 48.6%
Olympic Tram @ snowbasin is 48.8%

Does anyone have more stats on the Silverton Mountain lift? All i have found is it serves 1900 Vt feet and the lift line varies from 30-40 degrees but from the looks of the line i wouldn't doubt if this lift is one of the steepest in North America. Some rough calculations using the minimum slope i've seen sighted is 57.7% which in other words is insanely steep! A picture of the lift line
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure of the specs but from what I hear its really steep. I'll be there on the 17th and I'll see what I can find.
-Bryan

Theres a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#24 Aussierob

Lift Sparky

• Industry II
  • 1,036 Posts:
  • Interests:Search and Rescue
    Hockey
    Ski Touring
    Geocaching

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:19 PM

Havent had a chance to look up the data but from memory Garbanzo @ Whistler is 31 degrees and the steep pitch on the creekside gondola is 38 degrees.
Rob
Ray's Rule for Precision - Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

#25 heavenly_romer

HI

• 316 Posts:

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:33 PM

a little :offtopic:, but how big are the cars on the loan peak tram at big sky? I also heard that the ski patrol almost interviews everyone at the top to make sure that you can ski the terrain accessed by the tram. ANyone been up it?

#26 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:38 PM

The cabins hold 15 people. I wanted to ride the lift up but since there wasn't a lot of snow when I was there, I didn't feel like scratching my skis up.
- Cameron

#27 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:58 PM

You can ski the south side bowl which didn't have very good snow when I was there. They do almost interview you and make you sign several waivers plus you have to carry full avalanche gear to ski Big and Little Couloir down the front plus you have to check out with partol at the bottom of the tram. BTW the tram is a really fun ride and Big and Little couloir are incredible especially since we had first tracks of the season on big. This info is as of 4 years ago I don't know if the policies have changed.
-Bryan

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#28 Zage

Established User

• 358 Posts:

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:27 AM

The Tee Pee Town double at Sunshine Village has a steep section, but then after that it is pretty level. The Gold triple at Nakiska is steep as well. The Ptarmigan quad and Paradise triple at Lake Louise are both steep.
Tyler.M

#29 Snoqualmie guy

Snoqualmie guy

• 1,065 Posts:
  • Interests:Snoqualmie Pass ski areas

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:11 AM

Another steep lift is C.2 at Alpental, at the first climb it gets up there. The chair is only a double and doesn't take more than five min. but climbs about 1000ft.
- Jeff

Why couldn't they of come up with "Global Cooling"?

#30 Limelight

Established User

• Industry I
  • 314 Posts:

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

Wasn't the Beaver Lake lift at Snoqualmie Summit (West) really steep? If memory serves, it only had two or three towers with a huge span between the top and bottom.

Posted Image

#31 LSS

Established User

• Industry II
  • 35 Posts:

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:40 PM

Scott Chair at Alpine Meadows and Chair 3, 5 or 6 at Mt. Baker have serious steep pitches.

#32 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, sailing, music.

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

Deep Temerity an Aspen Highlands has a 53.34% slope. So just to clear things up. 45 degrees = 50%. Is that correct?
-Matt

"Today's problems cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

#33 mikest2

Mountain Operations

• Administrator I
  • 1,204 Posts:

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

View Postskierdude9450, on Apr 17 2007, 05:13 PM, said:

Deep Temerity an Aspen Highlands has a 53.34% slope. So just to clear things up. 45 degrees = 50%. Is that correct?

45 degrees is 100%, 1 to 1 slope.
...Mike

#34 Snoqualmie guy

Snoqualmie guy

• 1,065 Posts:
  • Interests:Snoqualmie Pass ski areas

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

Looking at the leftovers of the Beverlake chair, yes it was steep. Half the reason they tore it down was it was so high they couldn't do evac if it broke down.
- Jeff

Why couldn't they of come up with "Global Cooling"?

#35 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, sailing, music.

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

So, would you go over 100% of it was over 45 degrees?
-Matt

"Today's problems cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

#36 mikest2

Mountain Operations

• Administrator I
  • 1,204 Posts:

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:52 PM

View Postskierdude9450, on Apr 17 2007, 07:31 PM, said:

So, would you go over 100% of it was over 45 degrees?

Recall the slope formula for a line segment: slope = rise/run. The diagram below will demonstrate this relationship more formally. Points P1 and P2 define a line segment. The coordinates for each point are given in the diagram.

If x1 and y1 refer to the x and y coordinates of point P1, and x2 and y2 refer to the coordinates of point P2, then slope can be calculated with the following formula:

Slope = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

= (2-4)/(5-2)

= -2/3

Slope = -0.666, or negative 66 percent. Slope on surfaces is usually measured in degrees or percent rise, and the minus sign is dropped. The relationship between these two measures is a little complex.

The diagram above shows some common slopes and the relationship between the percent rise and the degrees of slope. They are related by the tangent, a trigometric function, in the following manner: %-rise = tan(� -rise). Degrees of slope can be calculated from percent slope, too: � -rise = arctan(%-rise). As degrees slope approaches 90�, percent slope approaches infinity.

Or in simpler terms...................... Yes

This post has been edited by mikest2: 17 April 2007 - 06:55 PM

...Mike

#37 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:42 PM

View PostSnoqualmie guy, on Apr 17 2007, 05:16 PM, said:

Looking at the leftovers of the Beverlake chair, yes it was steep. Half the reason they tore it down was it was so high they couldn't do evac if it broke down.

Or rather they didnt want to spend the $$$ to buy the extra equipment required to be able to perform evacs on Beaver Lake. :thumbsup:
-Bryan

#38 FSJ

Established User

• Industry II
  • 70 Posts:

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:17 AM

7th Heaven at Stevens is 57% or just shy of 30 degrees. About 400' rise in 700' run.

#39 Guest_skisox34_*

• Visiting Guest

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:45 PM

what about in the east i would think that BMQ at killington would be right up there.

#40 Jonni

Dreams drive the world.

• Administrator I
  • 849 Posts:

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:36 PM

I would also add to that Devil's Fiddle (Killington), White Heat (Sunday River), maybe Heaven's Gate (Sugarbush), also the Lake Compounce Skyride (Lake Compounce, CT) has a good steep section to it.
Chairlift n. A transportation system found at most ski areas in which a series of chairs suspended from a cable rapidly conveys anywhere from one to eight skiers from the front of one line to the back of another.

Your Northeastern US Representative

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users