←  Skilifts.org Technical Discussions

Skilifts.org / SORT Forum

»

Midstations

highspeedquad's Photo highspeedquad 08 Feb 2005

What does every one think of midstations. Good, bad, etc. Personally, I love them, especially the HSQ ones. If anyone has any decent pictures of various midstations, inside or out, I would love to see them.

Zage's Photo Zage 08 Feb 2005

Have not been on too many lifts with midstations, but I think they are a great idea. The Sunshine Village gondola is a perfect example.

Allan's Photo Allan 08 Feb 2005

Mid stations are OK... here's the one on our T. You can see the half tower in the background in the second pic.

Attached File(s)

Zage's Photo Zage 08 Feb 2005

The T-Rex T-bar @ Castle mountain has a midstation.

I see. Some resorts have many mids, like Breck, which has three, the unload at A, the load at Snowflake, and the load at Peak8.

SkiBachelor's Photo SkiBachelor 08 Feb 2005

Snowflake doesn't have a mid station does it?

It has a midway load, thats what they call it. I guess it's not really a station.

poloxskier's Photo poloxskier 08 Feb 2005

I like them where they are useful and the terain necesitates one but when they are just there for no reason it is really anoying

liftmech's Photo liftmech 09 Feb 2005

Two I can think of where the terrain neccesitated a midstation are Crystal's C-4 and Baker's C-1. Both had a flat lower section near the lodge and the actual skiing took place further up the hill. C-4's was called 'quarterway' because $) it wasn't halfway up and %) there was also a lift called Midway Shuttle. The midstation on C-1 is at the bottom of a popular run called The Chute and it is a great place to watch would-be extreme skiers. Once the morning rush is over, the lower station is all but deserted because all the runs save one go to Midstation instead.
We don't have any at Copper but the Bee could use one at the top of Rosi's/Overload/Ordeal.
C-1's midstation.

Attached File(s)

poloxskier's Photo poloxskier 09 Feb 2005

highspeedquad, on Feb 8 2005, 09:24 PM, said:

It has a midway load, thats what they call it. I guess it's not really a station.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its kind of a pain to get to the base of the snowflake but there usualy are really long lines at the mid station of snowflake. This probably has been reduced signifigantly because of the Super connect.

KZ's Photo KZ 09 Feb 2005

I think i've only been on one lift with one, that being the gondola at heavenly and I think its kinda annoying just because after sitting for 12 minutes you just want to be done but I guess it makes sense for the people that done ski.

highspeedquad's Photo highspeedquad 09 Feb 2005

poloxskier, on Feb 9 2005, 10:48 AM, said:

Its kind of a pain to get to the base of the snowflake but there usualy are really long lines at the mid station of snowflake.  This probably has been reduced signifigantly because of the Super connect.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It has been reduced some thanks to the Peak8, which may have been one of many reasons to put it in. I skied there about two weeks ago with Boeinglover, and it was a pain to get to the bottom. The midway load is considerably easier to get to. It can also save some time if there are no lines at the bottom.

You have to really blast through the base of C to keep enough speed to avoid skating to get to the base of the snowflake. It would be really nice to see a mid station on the Bee. I really like the lower lines but im not a big fan of the upper trails.

Before the super connect it was not uncommon to wait 30-45 min for a ride from the mid station. I would usualy if it was that long of a wait I would just hike back to peak 8 and get back there much sooner than waiting.

highspeedquad's Photo highspeedquad 09 Feb 2005

The snowflake and the old chair that the superconnect replaced were the only previous ways to get to Peak 8. Now, there is the Snowflake and the Peak 8, although it would seem most would use the superconnect because it is more convenient.

Chair 4 needed to be replaced long before the Superconnect went in. It always had long lines. There was another way but it required a little hiking.

snowboardguy's Photo snowboardguy 09 Feb 2005

The one at the gondola at heavenly is pretty cool because the chairs dont slow down on the return trip. I agree though. That is one long ride.

Duck's Photo Duck 09 Feb 2005

Here are a couple of shots of a midstation on one of the Doppelmayr high speed quads at Tremblant (Quebec).

Image 1
Image 2

-Iain

Kicking Horse's Photo Kicking Horse 09 Feb 2005

see the buttermilk thead for the new L-P Lift with a midload

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  bwe31.JPG (330.39K)
    Number of downloads: 149

The Palmer Express(Dopp) at timberline is the same way too.