Sli Chairlifts - Ski Lifts International

67 replies to this topic

#21 Warren733

Established User

• 91 Posts:
  • Interests:Chairlifts, Houses, Skiing, Engineering

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:35 PM

SLI Lifts are my second Favorite type of lifts, after Riblet. They are Nicer looking than Modern Doppelmayr CTEC's and Lentier Pomas.

#22 Guest_altaskier_*

• Visiting Guest

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:42 AM

Teton Pass, Montana also has an SLI chair - a double. (Edited to add: OOPS! - somebody already mentioned it!)

This post has been edited by altaskier: 18 August 2006 - 08:43 AM

#23 Carl

Established User

• Industry II
  • 302 Posts:

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:28 AM

I'm not positive on this, but Kelly Canyon, ID may have an SLI.....

Carl

#24 Bill

Founder

• Administrator II
  • 2,852 Posts:

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:35 AM

Antelope Butte in Wyoming has one. Got it from Crystal Mountain, WA.
- Bill

#25 Andoman

Established User

• 395 Posts:
  • Interests:Winning the lotto

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:19 PM

Did SLI ever make anything bigger than a double?

#26 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

SLI built a quad at Homewood, California in 1972.

http://skilifts.org/...972.htm#pacific
- Cameron

#27 northeastskier

Established User

• 108 Posts:

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:07 PM

Telluride has 2:

-Coonskin- Lift 7 and -Oak Street-lift 8

#28 skiersage

SAM student

• Administrator I
  • 858 Posts:

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:14 PM

View Postnortheastskier, on Jun 22 2008, 09:07 PM, said:

Telluride has 2:

-Coonskin- Lift 7 and -Oak Street-lift 8

Did you even read the whole topic? Because I did and I think that it was already clear that Telluride has two SLI lifts.
-Sage

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And then find someone whose life is giving them vodka and have a party.
-Ron White

#29 cjb

Established User

• Industry II
  • 598 Posts:
  • Interests:cycling, snowboarding, running, scuba

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:29 PM

Mount Waterman in so-cal has at least one lift with SLI grips and carriers, I am not sure what the rest of the lift is. Pretty much a smorgasboard of riblet, sli, and some LE stuff I think.

#30 jeffe

Established User

• 31 Posts:

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

I stand to be corrected but, my belief of the situation was that Riblet took over SLI after it went bankrupt, and continued parts service. One of the key issues was that they were using gearboxes that were underrated, and had some failures. My dad was a sales rep for them and it's been about 20 years since I last heard the story.

#31 northeastskier

Established User

• 108 Posts:

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:11 PM

View PostSkiBachelor, on Jun 22 2008, 03:29 PM, said:

SLI built a quad at Homewood, California in 1972.

http://skilifts.org/...972.htm#pacific

Any pictures?

#32 iceberg210

Bald Eagle Lifts: Defying Gravity

• Administrator II
  • 1,079 Posts:
  • Interests:42

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

View Postjeffe, on Jun 23 2008, 10:28 AM, said:

I stand to be corrected but, my belief of the situation was that Riblet took over SLI after it went bankrupt, and continued parts service. One of the key issues was that they were using gearboxes that were underrated, and had some failures. My dad was a sales rep for them and it's been about 20 years since I last heard the story.

That's so cool that you're dad worked for SLI. Does that mean that Riblet picked up the designs too? I wonder who owns the designs now since Riblet closed its doors. Did Superior or Tramway Support pick them up I wonder? Or are they hidden somewhere deep in an old Riblet desk, or hanging on Douglas Sowder's wall. :tongue:

I always thought they were great lifts and one of the best looking chairs around, it would be interesting to hear where the designs are and where the owners of SLI chairs get their parts today. They may just have to make their own, its not like there are alot of them out there now.
Erik Berg
http://www.baldeaglelifts.com

#33 FSJ

Established User

• Industry II
  • 70 Posts:

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:48 AM

View Posticeberg210, on Jul 26 2008, 03:21 PM, said:

That's so cool that you're dad worked for SLI. Does that mean that Riblet picked up the designs too? I wonder who owns the designs now since Riblet closed its doors. Did Superior or Tramway Support pick them up I wonder? Or are they hidden somewhere deep in an old Riblet desk, or hanging on Douglas Sowder's wall. :tongue:

I always thought they were great lifts and one of the best looking chairs around, it would be interesting to hear where the designs are and where the owners of SLI chairs get their parts today. They may just have to make their own, its not like there are alot of them out there now.

Last known location of SLI drawings were in the basement of the main office at Riblet. That was 5 years ago. I'd assume they are still there.

#34 k2skier

Established User

• 285 Posts:

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

View PostBill, on Apr 24 2004, 11:45 PM, said:

That would explain why Riblet knew everything about the old C-5 at Crystal, I wrote them asking about that lift in 8th grade and the lady who wrote back knew everything about it and why it was built the way it was, etc.

Is C-5 the High Campbell lift?

#35 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:46 PM

No, High Campbell is C-6. It is Hall and Riblet, not SLI. C-5 must have been the only SLI lift at Crystal, Campbell Basin.

This post has been edited by Skier: 30 July 2008 - 05:47 PM

- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#36 Snoqualmie guy

Snoqualmie guy

• 1,065 Posts:
  • Interests:Snoqualmie Pass ski areas

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:28 AM

C-5 went from the bottom to were the mid mountain lodge is now right?
- Jeff

Why couldn't they of come up with "Global Cooling"?

#37 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:46 PM

Correct. You can still see the old drive foundation, off to the side just below where you can cut off from Skid Road over to chair 8. We used to store maze ropes and standards in there, maybe they still do. When Rex and Midway were built, they shortened the lift to run from the uphill side of Rex's lower terminal up K2 Face, leaving the top where it originally was. The lift was fully removed in 1997 when chair 9 was upgraded. I believe the new restaurant sits approximately where the toe of the ramp was (it was one of those old 30' tall wooden ones).

It's too bad the thing is gone; aside from being one-of-a-kind a Crystal, it was a quick way to switch sides if you wanted to go from the Rex pod to the Campbell pod. Now you're forced to tuck the Skid Road catwalk to chair 9.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#38 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:37 PM

View Postliftmech, on Jul 31 2008, 07:46 PM, said:

Correct. You can still see the old drive foundation, off to the side just below where you can cut off from Skid Road over to chair 8. We used to store maze ropes and standards in there, maybe they still do. When Rex and Midway were built, they shortened the lift to run from the uphill side of Rex's lower terminal up K2 Face, leaving the top where it originally was. The lift was fully removed in 1997 when chair 9 was upgraded. I believe the new restaurant sits approximately where the toe of the ramp was (it was one of those old 30' tall wooden ones).

It's too bad the thing is gone; aside from being one-of-a-kind a Crystal, it was a quick way to switch sides if you wanted to go from the Rex pod to the Campbell pod. Now you're forced to tuck the Skid Road catwalk to chair 9.

The old drive foundation has recently been demolished. The area around it was reseeded and it is now impossible to tell anything was there.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#39 iceberg210

• Administrator II
  • 1,079 Posts:
  • Interests:42

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:17 PM

View PostFSJ, on Jul 28 2008, 09:48 AM, said:

Last known location of SLI drawings were in the basement of the main office at Riblet. That was 5 years ago. I'd assume they are still there.

My only question is that since Riblet closed its doors in 2003 are they still even occupying that same building that those drawings were in the basement of. And if not where did they go from there? I may have to do some detective work and call around on this one.
Erik Berg
http://www.baldeaglelifts.com

#40 bobby a

New User

• Industry II
  • 4 Posts:

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

View Posticeberg210, on Aug 1 2008, 08:17 PM, said:

My only question is that since Riblet closed its doors in 2003 are they still even occupying that same building that those drawings were in the basement of. And if not where did they go from there? I may have to do some detective work and call around on this one.

We still have 3 SLI's here at 49 degrees north, including the longest still in exsistance, we have had no problems with the schiender grips, although chair 1 has been retrofitted with riblet clips. And yes Riblet still occupies the same building in spokane, they go under the name tram support inc. and still sell riblet parts, and much more, even some SLI parts.

5 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users