Pullman-Berry

21 replies to this topic

#21 SuperRat

Established User

• Industry II
  • 311 Posts:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:46 AM

View Postceo, on 13 June 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

Cannon in NH installed a Pullman-Berry double in 1973, replacing a T-bar. It was originally the New Peabody Double, even though the (old) Peabody Double was still in use. Its unreliability caused it to get nicknamed the Hong Kong chair, and that name actually made it onto the signage and trail maps for a few years. Eventually it was officially renamed the Gremlin Chair. Both it and Peabody were replaced in 2000 or thereabouts; the replacement (on a different alignment) is called the Eagle Cliff Chair.

The story I heard when I asked why Cannon's Gremlin was called "The Hong Kong" was, when the mechanics changed some failing bearing (presumably prematurely) they discovered they were made in China and henceforth referred to the old Pullman Berry as "The Hong Kong Double". It was replaced in 1999.

This post has been edited by SuperRat: 14 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

#22 sheave

Established User

• Industry II
  • 114 Posts:
  • Interests:History

Posted 20 March 2021 - 06:36 AM

The reason Pullman-Berry chairlifts looks like Staedeli lifts is that they hired Otto Weber, the East Coast sales rep of Staedeli. It might even be possible that the chairlift division of PB was a cooperation between Pullman, Berry Metal and Staedeli (I'm currently trying to find out more). If you look at Taos' lift history, Staedeli lifts were built before and after the Kachina double. PB also hired Paul Hunziker who had various businesses in the ski industry. Mr. Hunziker, his colleague Richard Bhame and the pilot died in an airplane crash on Oct 8 1971. They were on a business trip for PB with destination Michigan City, Ind. It is still unknown why PB stopped making lifts.

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users