New Lifts for 2012

176 replies to this topic

#1 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

Found this on Turns All Year regarding the new High Campbell at Crystal:

Talked to the main man at the base of the Gondol...new 6 chair will only be a double, with a bigger filled in flat area in the current off load area, new chrome chairs, new towers in the same spots as the current, planned for summer 2012 – so we’ll get to ride it a little before the end of the world on Dec 21 2012.

- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#2 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

Chrome chairs will sure be a nice touch. Surprising that employees know about it this far out
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#3 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

I have a feeling "chrome" means the usual galvanized steel.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#4 zeedotcom

Established User

• Industry II
  • 225 Posts:

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:07 AM

I hope that chrome means galvanized. Putting chrome out is just asking for problems. Granted it won't deteriorate as fast hanging in the air as it does when exposed to salt and road grime, but it will eventually bubble and rust and become a nightmare.

#5 Crystal Coach

New User

• 19 Posts:

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

I have to wonder when they are going to shift priorities back to accommodating the guests who want to STAY and ski . What about the hotel plans?! Maybe they are waiting to see how their Summer business plans take off first. IF they start have more demand the other 6 months of the year, then the hotel would make better financial sense.

But "Chrome Chairs?!" I can't imagine that being a good idea. A faster double would be nice though. That old lift (Hall?) dates back to Pilchuck doesn't it? Wasn't it installed sometime in the mid 1950s?

#6 iceberg210

Bald Eagle Lifts: Defying Gravity

• Administrator II
  • 1,079 Posts:
  • Interests:42

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

Actually High Campbells I believe is one of the two chairs that were at the avalanche plagued Yodelin. The Pilchuck chairs near as I can tell were bought by Crystal for parts.
Erik Berg
Bald Eagle Lifts: Defying Gravity
http://www.baldeaglelifts.com

#7 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:18 AM

Chair 6 is one of two lifts from Yodelin; the drive terminal was installed new by Riblet when Crystal bought the lift. I'm pretty sure the other Yodelin lift went to Stevens and parts of it became Tye Mill.

The chairs will be galvanised. Zeedotcom explains why.

You'd be surprised how much we employees know about future plans. Unfortunately, 75% of what we hear are rumours and 20% are plans that change :devil:
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#8 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

Apparently Deer Valley brass have told the Deer Crest homeowners' association that the long-rumored Deer Crest high speed quad is on for 2012
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#9 missouriskier

Established User

• 187 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, Operating Construction Equipment, Driving

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

My home ski area, Hidden Valley may finish its expansion in 2012. When my dad got his pass processed last season, they told him that it would most likely be a few years, and they would use a used lift(s). One guess that I have is that the lifts that are coming out of Mt. Snow could end up at Hidden Valley, if indeed they do replace them next year. (Both areas are owned by Peak Resorts.)

Also, Granite Peak has talked for years about replacing the Donner triple with a high-speed, probably a quad. I would expect this to happen any year, but certainly wouldn't give a specific date.

#10 stmad12

Established User

• 38 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

Over here at Snow Creek, I've heard plans of possibly building a bigger lift insteadof the 2 older Borvig triples. It'ss Peak too, so maybe the lift will end up at Snow Creek.
Any reason that couldn't happen?
-The Breck Freak

- -Poma may be the new Quad, and Doppelmayr may be the last single, but Yan will always be the superior in detachables.

If in doubt, don't fall and roll unless you're in a Von Roll.

#11 alexboesen

Established User

• 59 Posts:

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

Looks like Beaver Creek is considering replacing Rose Bowl this summer (http://www.vaildaily...entProfile=1062) and Buttemilk is looking at replacing Lower and Upper Tiehack chairs (http://www.vaildaily...entProfile=1062)

#12 alexboesen

Established User

• 59 Posts:

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

Apologies...link to Tiehack replacement is at http://www.aspentime...entProfile=1058

#13 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

Lookout Pass Ski Resort Set to Unveil First Phase of Massive Expansion
Plan would make Lookout Pass largest ski resort in the Couer D'Alene region.

By Camillia Lanham, Guest Writer, 2-10-11
NewWest.net

With two new lifts, 500 acres and 10 additional ski runs, Lookout Pass Resort hopes to defy the recession and overcome its relative remoteness as it begins a 20-year, $20-million expansion along the Idaho-Montana border.

The resort wants to add the new lifts in the next two years said the resort’s chief executive, Phil Edholm.

“We think there’s a need for additional recreation here at Lookout,” he said. “The only rub about us is that we don’t have enough terrain.”

His complete plan would add another 2,000 acres, eight lifts and another base.

But growth at the resort just off of Interstate 90 is nothing new. In the last 10 years, Edholm oversaw expansions that added two lifts to Lookout, giving it a total of three lifts and 540 skiable acres. According to Edholm, with each addition the business has grown. The resort more than doubled its skier visits following the expansions, reaching 58,000 visits in the 2009-2010 season.

Now Edholm projects two more lifts will increase business by another 30 percent, bringing annual skier visits up from around 60,000 to 78,000.

Their market area stretches some 200 miles from Spokane to Missoula, said Bill Dire, Lookout’s marketing director. If the expansion goes through as planned, they will go from the smallest resort of the five in the Coeur D’Alene-Spokane area to the biggest.

But to achieve this level of growth, Lookout will have to overcome several obstacles that have slowed its expansion in the past.

Even the marketing director admitted one major drawback for the resort is that “we’re a day-use area,” meaning skiers have to leave the mountain to find a place to stay at night, often traveling 11 miles to nearby Wallace, Idaho.

With the nearest airports 100 miles away, Dire said, “we’re really banking on the added draw from Missoula.”

Lookout has a long process ahead of it before the first new lift goes in, Dire said.

The proposed land use areas are in both the Lolo and Idaho Panhandle National Forests. Lookout will have to submit a plan to the Forest Service for each phase of the expansion.

This is the stage that Lookout Pass’s first expansion phase is in. It takes four to six months to get approval from the Forest Service, said Superior, Mont., District Ranger Sharon Sweeney.

Any hiccup in the plan and Lookout could have to revamp its proposal, but Sweeney said it is too early to tell if the first phase will have any problems.

If approved, resort officials will need to submit an Environmental Impact Statement that is compliant with the National Environmental Policy Act.

Her initial reading of Lookout Resorts plans is positive. She said the area is a good place to expand because environmental impacts are minimal and the snow Lookout Pass gets is great. But, she cautioned, “it’s a big expansion” and may change.

“If you look at any ski hill, I’ll bet they came in with big grandiose plans and what they ended up with is probably extremely different then what they came originally to the table with,” she said.

Sweeney said she thinks with 650,000 people in between Coeur D’Alene and Spokane, the population is large enough to support this next expansion.

Tom Vineyard, a ski coach/freestyle instructor at Lost Trail Powder Mountain Resort in Montana, has been skiing at Northwest’s resorts for the last 20 years agrees Lookout Pass is a good place for an expansion.

“As a skier I look forward to seeing ski areas expanded,” Vineyard said. “They get the snow. It’s not the light and fluffy snow that Lost Trail gets, but it gets the accumulation.”

He said the area around Coeur D’Alene has struggled economically and one of the keys to Lookout Pass’ past growth is its affordability compared to other full-service ski resorts in the area, including Silver Mountain.

“The reason they are increasing visits is because they are pulling in locals. Silver Mountain is doing the resort thing, so locals go to Lookout because they can afford it,” Vineyard said.

But with a massive expansion planned, Vineyard worried that Lookout Resort will raise its prices. Over the last 10 years, Lookout has raised lift ticket prices from $25 to $35.

“There will be a point, and I don’t know where it’s at, where people say it’s too expensive,” Vineyard said.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#14 missouriskier

Established User

• 187 Posts:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

View Poststmad12, on 18 January 2011 - 08:53 AM, said:

Over here at Snow Creek, I've heard plans of possibly building a bigger lift instead of the 2 older Borvig triples. It's Peak too, so maybe the lift will end up at Snow Creek.
Any reason that couldn't happen?

I don't know if Snow Creek will get a new lift soon or not. Mabye the lift directly in front of the lodge (Show Me) would be upgraded to a quad. Mt. Snow is only replacing the Summit Triple this summer, so I doubt if Hidden Valley will be getting it. It is 7,000 feet long, so way more than is needed in Missouri. Anyone know if it will be going anywhere or will it just be scrapped?

Hidden Valley will possibly end up with the Sunbrook Quad, though, when they replace it because we are supposed to get a quad. It is new enough that I think Peak will either sell it or relocate it. Snow Creek was supposed to have an expansion too, sometime.

This post has been edited by missouriskier: 05 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

#15 Nor'eastSkier

Established User

• 68 Posts:

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

View Postmissouriskier, on 05 March 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

I don't know if Snow Creek will get a new lift soon or not. Mabye the lift directly in front of the lodge (Show Me) would be upgraded to a quad. Mt. Snow is only replacing the Summit Triple this summer, so I doubt if Hidden Valley will be getting it. It is 7,000 feet long, so way more than is needed in Missouri. Anyone know if it will be going anywhere or will it just be scrapped?

Hidden Valley will possibly end up with the Sunbrook Quad, though, when they replace it because we are supposed to get a quad. It is new enough that I think Peak will either sell it or relocate it. Snow Creek was supposed to have an expansion too, sometime.

That seems pretty reasonable. The Sunbrook Quad was built by CTEC in 1990, so it's relatively new (newer than Summit Local anyway) and it isn't too long.

Summit Local will probably be scrapped, but it did receive upgrades in the late 80's, so maybe not...

#16 missouriskier

Established User

• 187 Posts:

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

View PostNor'eastSkier, on 07 March 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

That seems pretty reasonable. The Sunbrook Quad was built by CTEC in 1990, so it's relatively new (newer than Summit Local anyway) and it isn't too long.

Summit Local will probably be scrapped, but it did receive upgrades in the late 80's, so maybe not...

The following sentence is from the Mt. Snow Bubble Blog. It sounds as though we will see three lifts come from the Summit Local.

"Next up for the lift chairs is complete disassembly and stacking for shipping. The plan is to build 3 short lifts at some of the other Peak Resorts so no we are not selling these chairs but will be selling the chairs off Lift 11 when the time comes."

It will be interesting to see where these lifts appear. I guess that they already have the chairs and towers for all three, and the drive and return stations for one. Just off the top of my head, I think that the only Peak Resorts that have an expansion ready are Crotched Mountain, Hidden Valley, and Snow Creek. Hopefully at least one of these lifts will be installed in the summer of 2012.

Also, they are selling the Yan high speed quad chairs, I think individually to the public, after they close. This is pretty rare to sell quad chairs to the public, isn't it?

#17 jaytrem

Established User

• 217 Posts:

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:08 AM

In a Jay Peak newsletter they mention they're removing the actual power line from the Power Line trail this summer in preperation for the installation of a new 6 pack next summer. Would replace the Bonaventure fix grip quad which is 1 trail over. They'll most likely reuse the Bonaventure qaud to either replace the Jet triple or as part of their West Bowl expansion.

#18 Lift Dinosaur

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,075 Posts:

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:12 AM

View Postk2skier, on 01 May 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

Any official word on Mt Hood Meadows HSQ upgrade of Yellow/Stadium? I had to ask the Heather chairs top op what all the excavation work and tree removal was about, he said the chair is going in the summer.

See New Lifts for 2011- Post #120.
It's a Leitner-Poma HSQ.
Dino
"Things turn out best for the people that make the best of the way things turn out." A.L.

#19 Tin Woodsman

Established User

• 93 Posts:

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:00 AM

View Postjaytrem, on 19 April 2011 - 04:08 AM, said:

In a Jay Peak newsletter they mention they're removing the actual power line from the Power Line trail this summer in preperation for the installation of a new 6 pack next summer. Would replace the Bonaventure fix grip quad which is 1 trail over. They'll most likely reuse the Bonaventure qaud to either replace the Jet triple or as part of their West Bowl expansion.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it confirmed by some Jay insiders that the current Bonnie quad will indeed replace the Jet Triple. The Jet, in turn, will be installed on the bottom half of the current Bonnie liftline to enable easier flow between Tram side and Stateside, especially on windy days. It will also provide for some low-angle cruising on that half of the mountain while possibly serving the terrain park too(?).

#20 vons

Established User

• Industry II
  • 940 Posts:

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:44 AM

old H new home

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users