New Lift Construction Photos 2012

126 replies to this topic

#121 DetroitSkier

New User

• 19 Posts:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Any stats on the Hidden Valley chair?
- Aaron

Mechanical/Automotive Engineer, Mediocre Skier but Lover of Skiing, Collector of/Crusader for Accurate Lift Data, Proud Michigan Resident and Spartan

#122 trooper1556

Established User

• 67 Posts:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostDonaldMReif, on 09 January 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

I was on the Gondola One last week. There were still a few of the Vista Bahn's tower pylons still standing, minus their tower heads.

Those are towers west of the new gondola line are new, they are for the gondolas WiFi - all of vista bahn's towers are gone

#123 missouriskier

Established User

• 187 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, Operating Construction Equipment, Driving

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostDetroitSkier, on 26 January 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Any stats on the Hidden Valley chair?

Nothing official, but using Google Earth the line length is 1500 feet and the vertical rise is 250 feet. From my experience, this would be within a few feet on accuracy.

#124 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

View Postfloridaskier, on 04 January 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

Rode up Mountaineer Express at DV with a guy the other day who told me the 4-foot extensions on the bottoms of the two towers over the road were late additions (at Doppelmayr's expense), since the chairs were too close to trucks passing underneath. He said they only discovered this during testing, and almost didn't get it open in time. Looking at some other parts of the lift, it's really close to the ground, especially passing over Mountaineer run . I tried it out yesterday, and I could have hit skis with my pole, even in a bad snow year. Another foot or two of snow and they would really have to worry about ground clearance there. They took the Cascade run off the map this year, and the chair is way too low at that spot to ever open it again.

They reused the tower tubes from the old CTEC fixed quad, but with the opposite rotation direction (heavy side is now the uphill side), much longer HSQ hanger arms, and Doppelmayr sheaves mounted below the crossarms, the new chairs hang much lower than the old ones. I bet we see some modifications to Mountaineer over the summer to make it a little higher.

As predicted, DV lengthened a few towers on the Mountaineer Express this summer to raise it higher over Mountaineer run. Towers 4 and 5 got new extensions on top of the tower tubes about 4 feet high. Mountaineer run has enough clearance now, but at the top of the old Cascade run, someone going fast could easily fly into the chairs coming over the ridge.

Question I have is how do they go about doing that? Do you need to get the helicopter back out for this? These two towers aren't too far from the road, but they're in a relatively steep area and probably not easy to get a crane to the spot. Other question is would this be something Doppelmayr would pay for under warranty, or is it DV's responsibility now?
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#125 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

View Postfloridaskier, on 24 December 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

As predicted, DV lengthened a few towers on the Mountaineer Express this summer to raise it higher over Mountaineer run. Towers 4 and 5 got new extensions on top of the tower tubes about 4 feet high. Mountaineer run has enough clearance now, but at the top of the old Cascade run, someone going fast could easily fly into the chairs coming over the ridge.

Question I have is how do they go about doing that? Do you need to get the helicopter back out for this? These two towers aren't too far from the road, but they're in a relatively steep area and probably not easy to get a crane to the spot. Other question is would this be something Doppelmayr would pay for under warranty, or is it DV's responsibility now?

Do you have any photos of what you're describing Tyler?
- Cameron

#126 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostSkiBachelor, on 28 December 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Do you have any photos of what you're describing Tyler?

Not the best view of it, but you can see the top 3 feet or so of the tower tube is a separate section that was added this summer. The next tower, a depression tower, has the same thing. These two are on either side of Mountaineer run

Attached File  photo.jpg (73.94K)
Number of downloads: 76
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#127 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

View Postfloridaskier, on 31 December 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Not the best view of it, but you can see the top 3 feet or so of the tower tube is a separate section that was added this summer. The next tower, a depression tower, has the same thing. These two are on either side of Mountaineer run

Attachement photo.jpg

Here is the same tower from back in October

Attached File(s)

- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

2 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users