New Lift Construction Photos 2008

465 replies to this topic

#41 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, sailing, music.

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:54 PM

The new towers:

Most of the new towers, like the old ones will be in two sections or more. There were some noticeably tall towers in the lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A shipping tag:
Posted Image

Lower sections of tower 26 and 22:
Posted Image

Looking inside tower 26:
Posted Image

First sections of towers 18 and 19:
Posted Image

Each tower has what looks almost like a washer inscribed with the tower number and section attached to the tower section:
Posted Image

Tower 9 is gonna be BIG! (that's not even half of it)
Posted Image
-Matt

"Today's problems cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

#42 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:03 PM

The bottom station

The rental and ski school building is gone and the foundation has been dug for the bottom station. The hunky dory lot's going to be quite expensive next year, I imagine....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking across the river towards the new bottom station from the location of the bottom station of the old gondola:
Posted Image

The lift line of the old gondola:
Posted Image

The site where the bottom station of the old gondola used to be:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Summit Express looks so lonely by itself:
Posted Image

Thats all for now. :wink: I'll keep you guys updated throughout the summer with new pictures. :smile:
-Matt

"Today's problems cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

#43 SkiBachelor

Forum Administrator

• Administrator II
  • 6,242 Posts:
  • Interests:Hi, I'm Cameron!

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

I presume the towers that are still standing will be reused for the new lift?

As for the cabins, I presume Doppelmayr CTEC is purchasing those back for another project. I can only assume the gondola at the Oakland Zoo for right now.
- Cameron

#44 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:16 PM

No, actually, they're getting all new towers for the new gondola, hence the big pile of tower parts. Seems like a waste to me, but there are some minor changes in the line such as the mid station and the new bottom station.
-Matt

#45 nathanvg

Established User

• 216 Posts:

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:36 PM

I didn't know there is going to be a midstation. Where will it be?

#46 poloxskier

Established User

• Industry I
  • 1,626 Posts:

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:44 PM

View Postnathanvg, on May 19 2008, 08:36 PM, said:

I didn't know there is going to be a midstation. Where will it be?

The mid station will be located at the top of River Run, it is designed to allow timid intermediates and beginners to ride down at the end of the day rather than skiing down River Run as well as allow access to the summit without returning to the base area. Hopefully this will allow for a less congested run down to the base.

View Postskierdude9450, on May 19 2008, 07:16 PM, said:

No, actually, they're getting all new towers for the new gondola, hence the big pile of tower parts. Seems like a waste to me, but there are some minor changes in the line such as the mid station and the new bottom station.

Unless there have been changes within the last month the proposal was to reuse many of the existing masts but with new heads.

This post has been edited by poloxskier: 19 May 2008 - 08:47 PM

-Bryan

Theres a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

"You could say that a mountain is alot like a woman, once you think you know every inch of her and you're about to dip your skis into some soft, deep powder...Bam, you've got two broken legs, cracked ribs and you pay your $20 just to let her punch your lift ticket all over again"

#47 pdogandyboy

New User

• Industry II
  • 3 Posts:

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

Old Moonbeam is out other than motor room and main bt structure. It will be stored at the CTEC Shop. A few towers will be reused and some footers on the bottom half of the line will be reused. The top of the new Moonbeam will be on the knob below where it used to go. The four year plan Solitude has been talking about involves:

New install of two last of their era Uni-GS Detachables for Moonbeam and Apex. In four years or so, eventually, word is Powderhorn gone, and the Moonbeam lift that was just taken out will be Put from the top of New MB to the existing top of powderhorn, unless they decide to buy another detach. Talk of replacing Summit with a chondola, not sure if it will go all the way down to bottom. Also a cross resort chair or something as a commuter chair from Entrance 1 to Entrance 2. Mountain Managers claim, Solitude is catering to beginners. Great, now to chairs to the top of Powderhorn.

They have also said that in four years MB and or Apex may have to be moved for the grand plan, sounds expensive, but they are claiming with all the tax breaks and what not they will actually save million or two. Hope that answers some questions.

AG
Doppel Crew :dry:
Andrew Gardner

#48 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:10 PM

Interesting, thanks for the info. So is the Uni-GS on the way out? By the way, nice helmet cam videos on YouTube!
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#49 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:30 AM

View Postpoloxskier, on May 19 2008, 10:44 PM, said:

Unless there have been changes within the last month the proposal was to reuse many of the existing masts but with new heads.

There were parts for at least 15 new towers there, so I do wonder if they are having all new towers. They also did say on the board lower profile for less wind delays and closures, but there were still some really tall towers in the lot. So for now, who knows on the towers?
-Matt

#50 asendr

Established User

• Industry II
  • 27 Posts:
  • Interests:dissident literature
    ancient symbology
    lexicon and the origin of words

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:48 AM

yo pdogandyboy!

welcom to skiliftnerds.org.

ask yer boss jfk if he ate
his yogurt cup today.

good luck on the project.
i'm headed to colorado to
see if i can screw things
up over there next.

p.s. give flash and jihad a kick
in the ass from me.

#51 pdogandyboy

New User

• Industry II
  • 3 Posts:

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

Probably see you at keystone. Sounds like we're all comin out. Some sooner than later . About out of work at the tude, may be in CO by the weekend , we'll see. I kicked Flashs ass for ya
AG
Andrew Gardner

#52 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

The steel is going on the Whistler Station of the Peak to Peak gondola right now on this cam:

http://www.earthcam.net/users2/interface.p...mp;clientid=707
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#53 boardski

Established User

• Industry II
  • 760 Posts:

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

View Postpdogandyboy, on May 19 2008, 11:03 PM, said:

Old Moonbeam is out other than motor room and main bt structure. It will be stored at the CTEC Shop. A few towers will be reused and some footers on the bottom half of the line will be reused. The top of the new Moonbeam will be on the knob below where it used to go. The four year plan Solitude has been talking about involves:

New install of two last of their era Uni-GS Detachables for Moonbeam and Apex. In four years or so, eventually, word is Powderhorn gone, and the Moonbeam lift that was just taken out will be Put from the top of New MB to the existing top of powderhorn, unless they decide to buy another detach. Talk of replacing Summit with a chondola, not sure if it will go all the way down to bottom. Also a cross resort chair or something as a commuter chair from Entrance 1 to Entrance 2. Mountain Managers claim, Solitude is catering to beginners. Great, now to chairs to the top of Powderhorn.

They have also said that in four years MB and or Apex may have to be moved for the grand plan, sounds expensive, but they are claiming with all the tax breaks and what not they will actually save million or two. Hope that answers some questions.

AG
Doppel Crew :dry:

Just to clarify: They plan on removing Powderhorn with no replacement and installing a lift from the top of Moonbeem to the top of the current Powderhorn??

They should just save a whole bunch of $$ and retain more clientelle and leave Powderhorn the way it is. That way beginners can have Moonbeem, Link, and Apex once they graduate to more challenging terrain and the advanced skiers still have a reasonably efficient lift system. That FGQ from the top of MB to top of current Powderhorn will stop and slow all the time because beginners will get off of Moonbeam, see another lift, and want to go higher. When the terrain is too difficult some will get angry and try to sue the resort and force them to groom a bunch of expert terrain to make it OK for them to ski the terrain. It happens to the best of the resorts to Colorado when lifts are "upgraded" to accommodate beginners.
The Summit chair upgrade sounds good, not sure why someone would want to ride up that lift in a gondola car since it is an upper lift anyway but who knows.
Seems rather silly and costly to have to move Apex and Moonbeam after their recent installs this Summer, why not put them in the right place to begin with?

It will be interesting to see how it is all laid out. Hopefully the planners and managers read this forum before the moutain goes bankrupt.
Skiing since 1977, snowboarding since 1989

#54 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:39 PM

The tire banks are going on by crane right now on Whistler: http://www.earthcam.net/users2/interface.p...mp;clientid=707
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#55 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:20 AM

Doesn't look like anything's happened yet for Ski Team at PCMR. The snow is gone from the base area, but the old lift is still there and all the summer stuff is up at the base area. Wonder where the bottom terminal is going, there's not much extra space down there

http://www.parkcitymountain.com/winter/con...cams/index.html
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#56 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:32 AM

View PostSkier, on May 22 2008, 06:39 PM, said:

The tire banks are going on by crane right now on Whistler: http://www.earthcam.net/users2/interface.p...mp;clientid=707

Cool. There's still an impressive amount of snow up there!
-Matt

#57 skier2

Established User

• 496 Posts:

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

View Postskierdude9450, on Jun 1 2008, 11:32 AM, said:

Cool. There's still an impressive amount of snow up there!

Glacier skiing until July is not much higher than that! Last year, there was snow just above the bottom of the Solar Coaster at least until late late June when I was there. The temp at the summit at 8:00 was ~28 degrees! And it stayed cold and snowed the whole time we were there.

#58 iceberg210

Bald Eagle Lifts: Defying Gravity

• Administrator II
  • 1,079 Posts:
  • Interests:42

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:26 AM

View Postfloridaskier, on Jun 1 2008, 07:20 AM, said:

Doesn't look like anything's happened yet for Ski Team at PCMR. The snow is gone from the base area, but the old lift is still there and all the summer stuff is up at the base area. Wonder where the bottom terminal is going, there's not much extra space down there

http://www.parkcitymountain.com/winter/con...cams/index.html

Still don't quite understand why they are replacing that lift. I mean I guess its a long ride but there's never a line when its open to the public, and I highly doubt it runs at near capacity while running for racers. What ever....

The lack of progress you describe does surprise me though as that's a long project I would guess, given the length of the lift, and all that goes into putting a new lift up. Also I'm surprised since Mad River lifts already has ski team listed on their classifieds.

http://www.madriverlifts.com/gallery2/v/ae...976_yan_double/

(Ski Team will be missed, I always liked that lift, no one over there and plenty of vacant ski hill to roam.)
Erik Berg
Bald Eagle Lifts: Defying Gravity
http://www.baldeaglelifts.com

#59 floridaskier

Established User

• Administrator I
  • 2,814 Posts:

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:37 PM

View Posticeberg210, on Jun 5 2008, 12:26 PM, said:

Still don't quite understand why they are replacing that lift. I mean I guess its a long ride but there's never a line when its open to the public, and I highly doubt it runs at near capacity while running for racers. What ever....

I think the point was to add capacity out of the base to take some pressure off Payday, which gets really big lines. The new alignment will start down at the base (although exactly where is anyone's guess, since there isn't much extra space down there and the webcam shows all the summer activities set up in their normal places) and take it up to the top of where Crescent used to be, which will access much more than the current Ski Team does. With the new alignment, people will be able to get to Silverlode and King Con without having to ride Payday, so I predict there will be plenty of traffic

Maybe there's more work going on in the parking lot outside of the webcam, but it looks like the old lift is still intact and none of the new line has been cut yet either
- Tyler
West Palm Beach, FL - elev. 9 feet

#60 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

The P2P station skin is taking shape on Blackcomb.

Attached File(s)

- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users