Whitecap Mountains

32 replies to this topic

#21 spunkyskier01

industry trainee

• Industry II
  • 379 Posts:

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

"also, its the only place i have ever been too that uses imported prinoth groomers"
me too, ever hear the story how they dropped a T4 thru the ice on Weber Lake?
[/quote]

no i haven't heard that story yet, i am going to have to ask about that one.
Everything is just loop-de-loops and flibertyjibbit

#22 chairliftpaint

Chairliftpaint

• Industry II
  • 63 Posts:
  • Interests:Spending time in the north country of Wisconsin.

Skiing, Making SNOW!

Freetime with family and friends.

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

I once heard that story about droping that cat in the lake but I forgot the details. The only thing I remember is that they had to use a crane to pull it out. They operate a little different around there.
Brian Scheid
www.chairliftpaint.com

#23 skiersage

SAM student

• Administrator I
  • 858 Posts:

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

View PostSkier, on Mar 12 2007, 06:08 PM, said:

I have seen other lifts like that with the angled masts, but not CTECs. Here are some pictures of the same terminal design at other resorts. I don't think it seems very CTEC like to have angles posts. None of their tri leg terminals that I have seen have been designed that way.

the terminals seen in your three pics are the same as the one at whitecap. except at whitecap the horizantal I-beam that is attached between the two front supports is slightly bent and the supports are at an angle.
-Sage

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And then find someone whose life is giving them vodka and have a party.
-Ron White

#24 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:23 PM

View Postskiersage, on Mar 12 2007, 08:50 PM, said:

the terminals seen in your three pics are the same as the one at whitecap. except at whitecap the horizantal I-beam that is attached between the two front supports is slightly bent and the supports are at an angle.

That is exactly what I was pointing out. I think Whitecap's is messed up, I wonder if they installed it themselves?
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#25 skier691

skier691

• Validating
  • 553 Posts:

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

There would have to be shims a inch or two or more to equal the slant there and still keep the bullwheel level. I doubt the welding could be that off or the concrete work. Had to have been installed like that.

#26 dh_lift_op

Established User

• 50 Posts:

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

View Postchairliftpaint, on Mar 12 2007, 05:30 PM, said:

They operate a little different around there.

You have that right. I have also heard about the story from one of the locals. From what they told me the groomer was doing a trail that wraps around the side and slid down the side. Not sure if thats true or not.

#27 spunkyskier01

industry trainee

• Industry II
  • 379 Posts:

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:47 PM

well i asked about the story, and supposedly they were plowing a ice rink on weber lake and it went through.
Everything is just loop-de-loops and flibertyjibbit

#28 Yooper Skier

Established User

• Industry II
  • 237 Posts:

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

I skied here in March of '09 and the CTEC's return was disassembled and I was told it was due to its footing settling into the soft ground (swamp) on the edge of the lake. Nobody seemed to know the last time it operated. Pity. It was probably one of the best lifts in Big Snow Country too. I'll be up there in a month and will have to check it out again.

#29 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

I was curious about the status of the sunken CTEC triple. From Bing Maps Bird's Eye it looks like it's still disassembled on the ground. Pretty crazy that this place doesn't have the money to fix their newest lift.

Attached File(s)

- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#30 Yooper Skier

Established User

• Industry II
  • 237 Posts:

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:48 AM

I took these in May of 2012. I'd assume things haven's changed. I took my kayak out on Webber Lake and was able to paddle right up to some of the CTEC chairs that are being claimed by the lake. Sad.
Attached File  IMG_3857.JPG (1.56MB)
Number of downloads: 97
Attached File  IMG_3858.JPG (1.75MB)
Number of downloads: 132
Attached File  IMG_3859.jpg (1.94MB)
Number of downloads: 133
Attached File  IMG_3860.JPG (1.66MB)
Number of downloads: 123
Attached File  IMG_3861.jpg (1.29MB)
Number of downloads: 132
Attached File  IMG_3862.JPG (1.47MB)
Number of downloads: 141
Attached File  IMG_3868.jpg (988.77K)
Number of downloads: 107

This post has been edited by Yooper Skier: 15 June 2013 - 04:52 AM

#31 boardski

Established User

• Industry II
  • 760 Posts:

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

Do they still operate the other lifts in the winter or has the ski area gone out of business?
Skiing since 1977, snowboarding since 1989

#32 skier2

Established User

• 496 Posts:

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

They still operate the other lifts. The place is just really poorly marketed and in the middle of nowhere. Plus, most UP ski areas near there have become obsolete since Granite Peak was renovated and Spirit Mountain, Lutsen and Giants Ridge draw most of the Minnesota traffic.

#33 skier691

skier691

• Validating
  • 553 Posts:

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostPeter, on 14 June 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

I was curious about the status of the sunken CTEC triple. From Bing Maps Bird's Eye it looks like it's still disassembled on the ground. Pretty crazy that this place doesn't have the money to fix their newest lift.

I see the Wine Hut!!! A classic ski bar with real orange shag carpeting

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users