Any Election Thoughts

14 replies to this topic

#1 Emax

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,904 Posts:

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:39 PM

Please be polite.
There are three roads to ruin; women, gambling and technicians. The most pleasant is with women, the quickest is with gambling, but the surest is with technicians. Georges Pompidou

#2 Lift Dinosaur

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,075 Posts:

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:57 PM

I think America said they are done with the carrer Politicians. Doesn't matter if they are Democrat or Republican.
Hopefully this will spawn Term Limits for Congress just as the Presidency.
My $8079.63 opinion.
Dino
"Things turn out best for the people that make the best of the way things turn out." A.L.

#3 Emax

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,904 Posts:

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:47 PM

I too think that this was the prime reason.

DC money flow must be curtailed.
There are three roads to ruin; women, gambling and technicians. The most pleasant is with women, the quickest is with gambling, but the surest is with technicians. Georges Pompidou

#4 SkiDaBird

Established User

• 509 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

I hope people who voted in Trump, as well as a GOP congress know what they are doing. At least in the next two years, a lot will happen.

I also agree with Dino. I don't think anyone perceived as a career politician stood a chance.

#5 RibStaThiok

Established User

• 1,057 Posts:

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:04 PM

I think we got lucky not having Clinton but I also think we are screwed with Trump. I have a very bad feeling about him. But I'm also very embarrassed by that small group of minorities out there who are crying up a storm because Clinton loss. I'm so sick of it all I no longer turn on the news or go to the news websites. I'm just glad I didn't vote for one of em out of guilt, i voted for someone I actually felt good about voting for.

This post has been edited by RibStaThiok: 14 November 2016 - 06:04 PM

Ryan

#6 chasl

Established User

• Industry II
  • 268 Posts:

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:20 AM

To get term limits for the House and Senate, you have to go through the house of congress and the Senate. Does anyone really think they are going to vote themselves out of a career? Think about it they would have to revisit their retirement package, including free health care for life. I for one do not ever think this will happen, would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

This post has been edited by chasl: 15 November 2016 - 06:21 AM

#7 lift_electrical

Established User

• Industry II
  • 337 Posts:

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

Maybe we all can forget to pay our taxes for the next four years?
Of all things, it's a Patriots fan watching us.........

#8 NHskier13

Established User

• 567 Posts:
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostRibStaThiok, on 14 November 2016 - 06:04 PM, said:

I think we got lucky not having Clinton but I also think we are screwed with Trump. I have a very bad feeling about him. But I'm also very embarrassed by that small group of minorities out there who are crying up a storm because Clinton loss. I'm so sick of it all I no longer turn on the news or go to the news websites. I'm just glad I didn't vote for one of em out of guilt, i voted for someone I actually felt good about voting for.

Yes, I really dislike that as well. I'm more fortunate to not be in those cities.
But in all honesty ; that's how this system works, and I accept it.

#9 skierdude9450

Established User

• 1,484 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, sailing, music.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:42 PM

I think it says a lot that Trump won even when all the media and mainstream public opinion was against him and he was discounted from the start. But there are a few key takeaways from this election.

First, voter turnout was significantly lower than the past two elections. This could be due to a large amount of people displeased with both candidates and just decided not to vote. On the other hand it could be that so many liberals were content with Clinton's odds of winning as portrayed by the mainstream news outlets and the social media "echo chamber" that they thought there wasn't a need to vote for their candidate.

Second, Clinton did not sweep the women's and minority vote in the way she was expected to. Clinton only captured 1% more of the women's vote than Obama did in 2012. Also, and perhaps more importantly, the Republicans saw major increases in ethnic minority voters compared to 2012. This is something that the media has cautiously dodged as it doesn't fit their narrative of racial division and the white majority taking the vote. In fact Trump only saw a 1% increase in white voters over Romney in 2012.

In the end, I think this shows how fed up people are with establishment politics. For many voters it was "anyone vs. the establishment," and the media clearly downplayed and underestimated that sentiment. Whether or not anything changes in the system, only time will tell. I think most people would like to see term limits on congressmen and senators, or a ban on former politicians from becoming lobbyists, but as was said before, the likelihood of lawmakers voting themselves out of a job, or an even more lucrative future career, is very slim.
-Matt

"Today's problems cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

#10 RibStaThiok

Established User

• 1,057 Posts:

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

I am surprised Trump was as successful as he was. I think that caught everyone off guard. Even those who voted for him. Somewhere in the back of my mind I have wondered if it was rigged with all of Trump's $$$ :D :D :D AH well. As long as he doesn't do anything stupid I'll back him as our president. Yet I have a feeling he will do something stupid.. very very stupid. Grrrr.
Ryan

#11 Lift Dinosaur

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,075 Posts:

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:37 PM

Like pass a Health Care Reform Act that has premiums doubling every year?
"Things turn out best for the people that make the best of the way things turn out." A.L.

#12 RibStaThiok

Established User

• 1,057 Posts:

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:15 PM

Everything is going to double or more in this day and age, I don't think there is any stopping that, unless we make money not important. People want more, and more, and more.
Ryan

#13 Emax

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,904 Posts:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:42 AM

View PostRibStaThiok, on 16 November 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

Everything is going to double or more in this day and age, I don't think there is any stopping that, unless we make money not important. People want more, and more, and more.

You know - it is the 'wanting more' and the 'doing less' (or nothing) for it that has become the root corrosive in our American society.
Sneaky manipulation and a general sense of 'entitlement' have been the downfall of entire civilizations.
If a person becomes 'successful' {definition needed here} through brain, brawn or just plain work - then more power to him. It's another human step away from the ocean's edge.

The notion of earning your keep has been at work since the dawn of man - and, for the most part, we are the survivors of that policy.

If you want yer' free lunch, ya' gotta' buy a couple of beers. It's the house rule.

I hope we're now heading back in that direction.

This post has been edited by Emax: 17 November 2016 - 01:02 AM

#14 william b

Established User

• Industry II
  • 122 Posts:

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

In the Mel Brooks movie "History of the World Part I", in the part of the movie that leads up to the French Revolution, King Louis XVI (played by Mel Brooks) would grope the ladies at will and then turn to the camera and say "It's good to be the King".

That is what I think of when I think of our president-elect.

wbl

#15 2milehi

Established User

• Industry II
  • 1,035 Posts:
  • Interests:Makin' sparks, breakin' part

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:16 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=p9a5-E5Zk3w
Anything is possible when you don't understand what you are talking about.

2 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users