Snoqualmie Summit

44 replies to this topic

#1 iceberg210

Bald Eagle Lifts: Defying Gravity

• Administrator II
  • 1,079 Posts:
  • Interests:42

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:04 PM

IN our lift page it says that thunderbird no longer exists on Summits trail map it says it does. But thats not what I came here to ask about.

As I was looking at all the old lifts that had been removed from the Summit I was wondering if anyone knew where each was located. Thanks
Erik Berg
http://www.baldeaglelifts.com

#2 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 03:50 AM

As an Alpental skier you know where Debbie's Gold (chair 1) was. The platter started at the bottom of Meister/Lower Internationale and went up alongside Lower I until the bottom of Snake Dance.
At Snoqualmie, Thunderbird is inoperable and parts still sit in place. Big Bill (I think it's called Wild Bill on the page) was opposite the Pacific Crest lift from Dodge Ridge. Beaver Lake went down into the bowl north of the top of T-bird.
Alpine and Bonanza were at Acres; Bonanza was about where the Central Express is now and Alpine was more towards Snoqualmie.
Last but not least, Dinosaur is in vertical storage at Hyak as we have discussed in detail :---:
I don't remember exactly where 360 Bowl was , but I sort of remember riding it while at Snoqualmie.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#3 crazyskier91

Living in the shadow of the mountains

• Industry I
  • 652 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, Skilifts (duh), Swimming, Computers, Fencing, Changing the layout of my room daily.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 03:52 AM

What's up with that dinosaur chair?
"><a href=Link to Colorado Chairlift Book Website

Elevation 9,600 Feet

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." -- Bill Clinton,
President

#4 TomK

Established User

• 44 Posts:

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:39 PM

The 360 Bowl chair was the other lift that paralleled old Big Bill at Snoqualmie West. It was the further west one and unloaded on the little knoll that you ski next to when accessing 360 bowl.
They took out the two side-by-side slow 2-seaters and installed the fixed-grip 3-seat Pacific Crest in thier place. I seem to recall that they scored a screaming good deal on the PC lift due to a defaulted purchase by somewhere else.

For Dino discussion, search this board for "Dino" http://www.skilifts....p?showtopic=294

Basicly, it's supposed to be removed this summer and the front half is next on Booth Creeks "lifts we want to install" list. No timeline on that though.

#5 iceberg210

• Administrator II
  • 1,079 Posts:

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:45 PM

Yeah I knew about Debbies Gold. My dad (both of my parents grew up in Seattle) would go to collegde and work during the day and ski at Alpental at night especcially Debbies Gold. BTW when did Alpental take out the Poma lift and why was it there in the first place?

Crazy Skier...
The dinasour is a favorite topic around here it never goes away.

Edit: Almost forgot that when I skied at Alpental I wondered what those poles were on lower internationale were for.

This post has been edited by iceberg210: 26 May 2004 - 01:46 PM

Erik Berg

#6 crazyskier91

Living in the shadow of the mountains

• Industry I
  • 652 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, Skilifts (duh), Swimming, Computers, Fencing, Changing the layout of my room daily.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the info!
"><a href=Link to Colorado Chairlift Book Website

Elevation 9,600 Feet

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." -- Bill Clinton,
President

#7 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:51 AM

[/I]

iceberg210, on May 26 2004, 01:45 PM, said:

BTW when did Alpental take out the Poma lift and why was it there in the first place? 

I don't honestly know. I only got to ride it a few times, mainly at night when C-2 was closed and that was the 'expert' terrain. I know it wasn't there originally- my dad helped build the area in the summer of '67 and he said they build only chairs 1, 2, and 3. 4 came later, and I bet that's when they built the platter.
Tom K- PC is a quad, I think. I knew I remembered 360 being at Snoqualmie, I just couldn't remember where it was. I've noticed that Booth Creek has kept several, if not all, of the towers from either Big Bill or 360 for night light standards.

#8 TomK

Established User

• 44 Posts:

Posted 27 May 2004 - 09:59 AM

PC was listed as a triple on an old lift map, a quad on the current one. Wonder if they replaced the chairs to upgrade, or just mis-labled the old map.

The lightpoles off to the lift-riders' right are the ones that used to support 360.
In addition the those, some of the old Thunderbird towers are still up and being used for light poles as well.

#9 iceberg210

• Administrator II
  • 1,079 Posts:

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:53 AM

What chair is number four again?

My dad also remembers riding the poma a coupple times but preferred Debbies Gold to the poma.
Erik Berg

#10 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:

Posted 28 May 2004 - 03:54 AM

C-1- Debbie's Gold/Armstrong Express
C-2- Edelweiss
C-3- St Bernard
C-4- Sessel (which is German for 'chair')
There used to be four rope tows named Eins, Zwei, Drei, und Vier. (want to guess what those names mean?) I don't know if they're still up and running or not, though.

It's quite possible Booth bought PC as a triple with quad-guage bullwheels and towers, then upgraded the carriers later. When I-lift was rebuilt a Blackjack, the new bullwheels and tower caps were triple guage for an eventual upgrade. If you've seen the photos of that lift, though, you'll notice it's still a double...

#11 TomK

Established User

• 44 Posts:

Posted 28 May 2004 - 08:42 AM

Alpental still has one rope-tow over between the St Bernard lift and lot 3.
At a guess, Ein?

#12 iceberg210

• Administrator II
  • 1,079 Posts:

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:02 PM

Yep there still is one rope tow. With names like that is it that a German started Alpental?
Erik Berg

#13 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:23 PM

Nope- it was marketing. A real estate developer from Seattle was quite taken with the German/Swiss/Austrian theme in the late 60s... :---:

#14 scrutch2001

Established User

• 41 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, ski lifts, old trail maps

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:39 AM

Actually, it was the chairlifts that were name Eins, Zwie, and Drei. See the attached picture from my late 1960's book of northwest ski areas.

There was a good deal of controversy surrounding the development of Alpental. There was opposition to development of Denny Mountain by what later became known as "Environmentalists." In particular, the Bavarian theme of the resort came in for criticism - it was viewed as being rather tacky.

When I was in Seattle earlier this year, I ran across a book on the history of Snoqualmie Pass. It showed a map of Alpental with a lift extending up lower internationale. That puzzled me - I didn't remember such a lift when I skied there. Thanks to all of you, the puzzle is solved - it's the old platter lift.

Steve

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by scrutch2001: 02 June 2004 - 03:47 AM

#15 scrutch2001

Established User

• 41 Posts:

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:46 AM

And in response to the posting that started the thread, here's a map of Snoqualmie Summit from the late 1960's, showing the location of Dodge Ridge, Big Bill, and 360. You'll also note some pomas which have since been removed, and scads of rope tows.

Steve

Attached File(s)

#16 scrutch2001

Established User

• 41 Posts:

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:54 AM

While I'm at it, here's Ski Acres aka Summit Central, again from 1968.

Steve

Attached File(s)

#17 scrutch2001

Established User

• 41 Posts:

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:58 AM

Hyak front......

Attached File(s)

#18 scrutch2001

Established User

• 41 Posts:

Posted 02 June 2004 - 04:00 AM

.... and back.

Attached File(s)

#19 Bill

Founder

• Administrator II
  • 2,852 Posts:

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:52 PM

Thanks Steve,

That is really awesome, I have been looking for older maps of the pass for some time.

It amazes me the amount of ropes at Snoqualmie and the the existance of a Poma where Wildside is.
- Bill

#20 hyak.net

Established User

• 346 Posts:
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Basketball, Ski History....

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:24 PM

Can you believe they actually had a rope tow up the Beaver Lake side? I'd guess it was prob. where the road is rather then the cliff...kinda steep there, but still that would be quite tough...

Snoqualmie had so many lifts, tows, etc. its amazing people had any room to actually ski.

3 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users