Sound Powered phones

21 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn72

New User

• Industry II
  • 21 Posts:

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

Selling sound powered phones and parts as a lot.

20 phones
15 elements
5 switches
4 cords

Most parts are used, some are new. Cords have various plug ends. Not sure of status of phones. Selling because I went with a different system. $1000.00 for the lot.

#2 Emax

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,904 Posts:

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:38 PM

Shawn72, on 11 February 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

Selling sound powered phones and parts as a lot.

20 phones
15 elements
5 switches
4 cords

Most parts are used, some are new. Cords have various plug ends. Not sure of status of phones. Selling because I went with a different system. $1000.00 for the lot.

Which system did you go for?
There are three roads to ruin; women, gambling and technicians. The most pleasant is with women, the quickest is with gambling, but the surest is with technicians. Georges Pompidou

#3 Shawn72

New User

• Industry II
  • 21 Posts:

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:29 AM

Just some regular phones with a 12Vdc power supply in line. Picked the power up off of 1 of my 24Vdc batteries. Clear and reliable.

#4 Emax

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,904 Posts:

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:27 AM

Shawn72, on 12 February 2015 - 04:29 AM, said:

Just some regular phones with a 12Vdc power supply in line. Picked the power up off of 1 of my 24Vdc batteries. Clear and reliable.

Yup - the only down-side is that they must all be in series.
There are three roads to ruin; women, gambling and technicians. The most pleasant is with women, the quickest is with gambling, but the surest is with technicians. Georges Pompidou

#5 Shawn72

New User

• Industry II
  • 21 Posts:

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

Emax, on 13 February 2015 - 08:27 AM, said:

Yup - the only down-side is that they must all be in series.

Not exactly. One phone at top and three at bottom. As long as top is off the hook, all work. Power source in line to top.

#6 Emax

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,904 Posts:

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

Shawn72, on 14 February 2015 - 05:33 PM, said:

Not exactly. One phone at top and three at bottom. As long as top is off the hook, all work. Power source in line to top.

What about a mid-station? It may want to call either direction.

#7 Shawn72

New User

• Industry II
  • 21 Posts:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

Emax, on 15 February 2015 - 01:13 PM, said:

What about a mid-station? It may want to call either direction.

no mid station

#8 Emax

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,904 Posts:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

Shawn72, on 17 February 2015 - 04:44 PM, said:

no mid station

OK - that works. But for an equipment vendor, it presents a problem. Normally open hook switches and shorting jacks are possible solutions - but still there is the series thingy. Maybe it's OK.

#9 hillsparky

New User

• Industry II
  • 3 Posts:

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:42 AM

We use standard 2554 wall phones with amplified handset which makes it great for noisy places like motor houses or under the drive terminals. To provide the "talk battery" we have built a small box to house the terminal strip, LED indicator, a fuse holder, and a small voice transformer. The transformer is a 600 ohm to 600 ohm transformer with the one 600 ohm winding split, NOT center tapped. You place a 1uf capacitor across the split of the winding and feed your 24 volts filtered DC across the split as well. 12 volts DC will work but it seems that the 24 volts is better. "Tip" and "Ring" for the telephones comes from the main leads of that winding on the transformer. The capacitor maintains the 600 ohm impedance for the audio and the split coil provides the loop current needed for the talk circuit. The non split winding, or secondary winding, is not used. It is simple and straight forward and the phones get hooked up to the circuit just as if it was a standard phone line. No need to worry about series circuits or any other special switches or such.

Steve

#10 TCOTTAM

New User

• Industry II
  • 1 Posts:

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:47 AM

INTERESTED IN BUYING THE SOUND POWERED PHONES DO YOU HAVE A PHONE NUMBER I CAN CONTACT YOU AT. PLEASE EMAIL ME AT TCOTTAM@ANGELFIRERESORT.COM

#11 Shawn72

New User

• Industry II
  • 21 Posts:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:51 PM

TCOTTAM, on 26 August 2015 - 05:47 AM, said:

INTERESTED IN BUYING THE SOUND POWERED PHONES DO YOU HAVE A PHONE NUMBER I CAN CONTACT YOU AT. PLEASE EMAIL ME AT TCOTTAM@ANGELFIRERESORT.COM

I tried to email you and it bounced back. My email is "kplifts@purityspring.com".

#12 timberlaker

New User

• Industry II
  • 143 Posts:
  • Interests:waking up

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:23 PM

The ansi code states reliable communication. What if you loose your 24v supply. It is a plausible scenario.

#13 hillsparky

New User

• Industry II
  • 3 Posts:

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:01 AM

Yes loosing the 24v supply is possible. We use the 24v source that supplies the control voltage. As long as you have your control voltage source (batteries and chargers) you have communications.

#14 Emax

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,904 Posts:

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:29 AM

timberlaker, on 23 October 2015 - 06:23 PM, said:

The ansi code states reliable communication. What if you loose your 24v supply. It is a plausible scenario.

First, ANSI is not a "code" - it is a standard.
Second, based on experience, sound-powered phones are not very reliable ... subject to a multitude of failures.
Standard analog telephones are much more reliable - even if powered by system voltage.

#15 iceberg210

Bald Eagle Lifts: Defying Gravity

• Administrator II
  • 1,079 Posts:
  • Interests:42

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:38 PM

In a day with radios and cell phones I would argue that a 24 V system is plenty reliable and if you don't have control voltage you've got larger problems than communication...
Erik Berg
Bald Eagle Lifts: Defying Gravity
http://www.baldeaglelifts.com

#16 RibStaThiok

Established User

• 1,057 Posts:

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

Just reach out and touch someone!
Ryan

#17 timberlaker

New User

• Industry II
  • 143 Posts:

Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:45 PM

Code: a set of rules and standards adhered to by a society. We are forced to adhere to said Standard are we not? Semantics some may say. It is Halloween why not split some hairs. Either way this is the classic Po-Ta-Toe vs PO -tay-toe issue. If cared for Sound powered phones are reliable. I have had both but have always inherited the Viking type not the aforementioned method so in all fairness I should give the aforementioned method a try.

#18 DashHopes

Established User

• Industry II
  • 45 Posts:

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

We use 6V telephones with no problems. I'm curious to how the sound powered phones operate?

#19 timberlaker

New User

• Industry II
  • 143 Posts:

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:11 AM

Why the sound pressure from hour voice causes a diaphragm to move a conductor through a magnetic field and creates current. That current then travels to the other end of the lift where the reciprocal happens. Except your ear is on the diaphragm at the other end.
Would you be kind enough to post a link to the supplier of your 6v phones?

#20 DashHopes

Established User

• Industry II
  • 45 Posts:

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:52 AM

We use the Econocom phones.
WWW.metragenll.com/hardwire_intercoms.html
Christine Carnovale is our Rep there.

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users