Earth Hour

82 replies to this topic

#81 tram mechanic

Established User

• Industry II
  • 101 Posts:

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:45 PM

I'm running my computer on "green tags"....heh, heh.....
I'm visiting in the SF Bay Area, its hot here for this time of year. Light to moderate winds made for good sailing :smile:

#82 Callao

Established User

• Industry I
  • 429 Posts:

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:16 PM

Zeedotcom is right. Carbon dating is more useful for dating recent events, up to about 60,000 years. However, to estimate the the age of the earth, geologists use isotopes with longer half-lives, such as radiuim, uranium, and thorium. By looking at the ratio of daughter-product/isotope of existing rocks, and adding time for other geologic processes, geologists have estimated that the earth is about 4.5 Billion years old.

K2skier, we like your data, and no one here is qualified to refute anything coming out of NOAA. I love NOAA--it is the source of almost all my climate data needs. However, we might make fun of your small sample size and question its statistical significance. A small sample size of thirty days is usually impeachable. Is anybody familiar with statistics? Most of the questions in this thread have a need for statistical analysis, rather than human measure.

Again, we like your data. But we question what the data means, and whether or not it is statistically significant. That is the real first question of this thread. The second is, does it imply a problem? Third, is there something we can do about it? And fourth, if so, what should we do?

Although I am not fully convinced there is a problem here, if I could make a request for the rest of this thread, can we assume that there is a problem, and that man can solve it? I'd like to get ideas from forum members about how to solve the problem. Let's discuss some solutions.

#83 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:
  • Interests:Chairlifts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

Guys,

Why dont we just give this topic a rest. We will beat it til someone get's banned for stepping over the border...

Just my .004 cents.
Jeff

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users