Conchas Fire NM

10 replies to this topic

#1 vons

Established User

• Industry II
  • 940 Posts:

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

Well last night I watched, trough binoculars, the las Conchas fire crest the mountains and head down into Bandelier national monument. The hight of the flames and the speed that the fire moved was impressive. Little dots of light would form a distance ahead of the fire and then a short time later explode into huge flames visible above the ridges through the smoke. The fire has grown from 3500 acres yesterday to 43,000 today :shocking: Thankfully today the first rain showers since March arrived hopefully the rain showers will continue this week and help the situation.
NM fire info

#2 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:
  • Interests:Chairlifts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

Can someone please update me on the status of this fire???

Im cut off from the rest of the world news right now due to all the horseshit going on in Greece ATM.
Jeff

#3 Lift Dinosaur

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,075 Posts:

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

View PostKicking Horse, on 01 July 2011 - 03:51 PM, said:

Can someone please update me on the status of this fire???

Im cut off from the rest of the world news right now due to all the horseshit going on in Greece ATM.

Jeff, If you click on the link above it will give you July 1 update.
If you can't access it, let me know and I'll post it up.

Dino
"Things turn out best for the people that make the best of the way things turn out." A.L.

#4 vons

Established User

• Industry II
  • 940 Posts:

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

Sorry I haven't posted more my ISP is biased in Los Alamos has been down till today. The link above has been the best resource for info. The wed cam worked the other day at Pajarito and the fire had moved through the area. At that time (wed) all lifts and structures had survived as did most trees the fire had burned mostly along the ground.

#5 Kicking Horse

Established User

• Industry I
  • 3,071 Posts:
  • Interests:Chairlifts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:36 PM

The link was not working for me when I clicked it. it's now working.

Thanks Guys!

Things here in Greece are very bad and is about to get worst.
Jeff

#6 Peter Pitcher

Established User

• Industry II
  • 194 Posts:

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

It has been hard to get any information about the ski areas affected by these fires in NM. As far as I know, Pajarito Ski Area outside of Los Alamos has lost at least on building and has had one wire rope separate on one of their chairlifts. The Santa Fe Ski Area has not sustained any damage but the power line to the ski area has been destroyed in some areas

#7 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

The burning of Pajarito ski area
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6724467

While the largest wildfire in New Mexico state history continues to threaten the town of Los Alamos and the Los Alamos National Laboratories (LANL) -- birthplace and assembly line of the A-bomb -- one casualty of the blaze that hasn't gotten much attention is Pajarito Mountain. The privately owned, 300-acre ski club and its five chairlifts sit above the town and suffered a direct hit from the Las Conchas fire this week. Fire crews working around the clock were able to save the lodge and all of the buildings, but at least one chair lift cable was snapped, sending the string of chairs to the ground.

In a press conference on Tuesday, Los Alamos fire chief Doug Tucker explained, "[The fire] made a run for the ski hill last night, and we fought fire last night on the ski hill from about ten o'clock. We continue to put out spot fires there now. It ran to the ridge, it ran over and spotted into the ski hill."

By western standards, Pajarito's 1,200 vertical feet and 10,400-foot peak aren't much to weep over, but because the mountain is only open Friday through Sunday for most of the winter, the area offers locals uncluttered backcountry laps and four days each week for the snow to pile up. "It's not going to replace Jackson Hole," says Tim Kelton, a local skier and LANL employee who also rides Pajarito's lifts in the summer with his downhill mountain bike. "It's a community run place that's built and managed by our friends." (The mountain's management was unavailable for comment.)

As of Thursday, fire crews were still working to put out spot fires on the mountain in an attempt to save the structures, something Kelton isn't so sure about. "Man, they should have let them burn and collected the insurance," he says. "We were stuck in the seventies."

Attached File(s)

- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#8 vons

Established User

• Industry II
  • 940 Posts:

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

from the resort website

Las Conchas Fire
Due to the impact of the Las Conchas fire, the ski area is closed to the public until further notice.
The ski area management team has assessed the damage and are developing initial recovery plans. Three of the chairlifts and all buildings are intact.
Normal operations will be resumed as soon as possible. Watch for further updates.

#9 vons

Established User

• Industry II
  • 940 Posts:

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:33 AM

pajarito has posted pictures of damage link

#10 Peter Pitcher

Established User

• Industry II
  • 194 Posts:

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

Those are great pictures. The FS could have put that fire out when it started at cochiti lake but they wanted to let it get going good first. I think we have pyromaniacs in charge of fire supression.

#11 Lift Dinosaur

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,075 Posts:

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

My understanding is the same thing happened with the Wallow Fire in AZ. They let it burn for 2 days and then yelled "FIRE!".
Things learned from Yellowstone in '88(?), but not understood.
Dino
"Things turn out best for the people that make the best of the way things turn out." A.L.

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users