Sugarloaf Rollback 3/21/15

64 replies to this topic

#41 machskier

Established User

• 70 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, mountain biking, cycling, hiking, kayaking

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:21 AM

View Postceo, on 25 March 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

I'd think the bullwheel brake ought to have stopped the rollback in less than 9 chair intervals. A normal stop takes less than one. Am I completely off base here?

The business with the drop dog retracting when it senses reverse movement would be hilarious if it weren't terrifying. Good on them for fixing that immediately on all lifts with the problem. Sawduster and Bucksaw are Stadelis, the rest are Borvigs. I conjecture that the requirements for the drop dog switch is one of those things that's highly variable by jurisdiction, so it's something that gets put in by the installers, meaning it's likely that lifts by different manufacturers will have the same part.

I'm surprised Timberline isn't on the list; it's identical to King Pine. Both were originally installed the same year, but Timberline was moved to its present location on the summit ridgeline a few years later.

Same here on Timberline so I checked NewEnglandSkiHistory.com and they have Timberline listed as a 1997 install and as a Borvig/Partek. Not sure that is correct but if it is, I suppose it is possible that when moved and reinstalled, it got upgraded components and the switch in question could have been one of them.

#42 Conrad

Established User

• 167 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, Hockey

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:41 AM

View Postmachskier, on 26 March 2015 - 03:21 AM, said:

Same here on Timberline so I checked NewEnglandSkiHistory.com and they have Timberline listed as a 1997 install and as a Borvig/Partek. Not sure that is correct but if it is, I suppose it is possible that when moved and reinstalled, it got upgraded components and the switch in question could have been one of them.

That is certainly true, it was originally the Whiffletree Quad, but when the Gondola closed they moved it to Timberline and replaced Whiffletree. I think if anything, it is a hunch from the author of New England Ski History that Partek was involved with the reinstallation process in 1997. Although I wouldn't be surprised either way. Garaventa CTEC would have been on-site as well installing the new Whiffletree so I don't see why they wouldn't be the ones helping to reinstall Timberline. New England Ski History is a very good website, though, so he probably has at least one source indicating Partek was involved.

#43 NHskier13

Established User

• 567 Posts:
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:43 PM

Apparently Partek is warning resorts to check their lifts. Don't some parts of the lift need to be inspected before they open? (like in the morning)
http://www.wmur.com/...0?absolute=true
When I first read this I thought they were recalling the lifts but then I read it a little more carefully...

oh yeah and I found this one too
http://www.wmur.com/...cident/32047864

This post has been edited by NHskier13: 28 March 2015 - 04:37 AM

#44 liftmech

lift mechanic

• Administrator II
  • 5,916 Posts:
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:00 PM

Well, the whole thing is inspected during off-season maintenance. Not sure what you mean by that.
Member, Department of Ancient Technology, Colorado chapter.

#45 Lift Dinosaur

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,075 Posts:

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:25 AM

View PostNHskier13, on 27 March 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

Apparently Partek is warning resorts to check their lifts. Don't some parts of the lift need to be inspected before they open? (like in the morning)
http://www.wmur.com/...0?absolute=true
When I first read this I thought they were recalling the lifts but then I read it a little more carefully...

oh yeah and I found this one too
http://www.wmur.com/...cident/32047864

Spin Doctors.... Partek did not warn ski area operators of a potential design flaw, as Sugarloaf alleges.
Partek reminded ski area operators that they need to verify that systems are functional on a daily basis prior to operation.

"1) Operators should verify that all the bull wheel back stop system components are installed and functioning properly before operation on a daily basis. Lift attendants should immediately notify their supervisor(s) if the backstop is not functioning properly. If the components are not installed, adjusted properly and maintained, the system may not function as intended."

Dino

This post has been edited by Lift Dinosaur: 28 March 2015 - 07:26 AM

"Things turn out best for the people that make the best of the way things turn out." A.L.

#46 Conrad

Established User

• 167 Posts:

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:25 AM

The lift is officially closed for the rest of the season: http://www.presshera...ay-be-replaced/

#47 RibStaThiok

Established User

• 1,057 Posts:

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:30 PM

So long, pine.
Ryan

#48 NHskier13

Established User

• 567 Posts:
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

Check this vid out:
http://www.necn.com/...-298055811.html

#49 RibStaThiok

Established User

• 1,057 Posts:

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:29 PM

FYI the lift at Suicide 6 is a 1975 Borvig. The one at Sugarloaf is a 1988. Since they are going to replace Kimg Pine I suppose they could always take the parts from King Pine (fix em up a bit) and put them on the 2000ft lift at Suicide :)
Ryan

#50 DonaldMReif

Established User

• 1,980 Posts:

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:04 PM

What 's going to replace King Pine, when that replacement happens? I'd imagine the replacement being either a high speed quad or a fixed grip quad with a loading carpet.
YouTube channel for chairlift POV videos and other random stuff:
https://www.youtube....TimeQueenOfRome

#51 Conrad

Established User

• 167 Posts:

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:14 PM

There's still lots of unknowns regarding the King Pine replacement. While it's done for the season, they could still fix it up for next year. The replacement is probably going to be a fixed grip quad like Skyline. It will be interesting to see if they still move the old lift to replace the Double Runner chairs.

#52 Guest_Short Summers_*

• Visiting Guest

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

I have seen just one post (probably missed some) that comes right out and says do your PM. I also believe that If the lift were properly maintained, this would not have happened. Low speed dog fails? E brake fails to self engage? Why was there was a vibration analysis done just one day prior to the shaft breaking? It would appear that all of the "engineers" investigating this are sticking their heads in the sand. Someone knew full well that something was wrong. Stop blaming Borvig / Partek. That switch will perform as well as the maintenance team that does the work on the lift. This incident should prove something to the upper management at Boyne who have been destroying the maintenance systems and reducing qualified help at Sugarloaf and Sunday River for years now. Let the guys have enough help and get enough training to get the job done right and keep the public safe.

#53 Guest_Short Summers_*

• Visiting Guest

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

View Postmachskier, on 26 March 2015 - 03:21 AM, said:

Of course it should have stopped sooner. And the switch that is being blamed, when near zero speed drops the dog long before the reverse speed will pick it up again. There were clearly two systems which did not work correctly here. Thank God luck was with the passengers!

#54 Guest_Short Summers_*

• Visiting Guest

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:09 AM

View Postceo, on 25 March 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

I'd think the bullwheel brake ought to have stopped the rollback in less than 9 chair intervals. A normal stop takes less than one. Am I completely off base here?

The business with the drop dog retracting when it senses reverse movement would be hilarious if it weren't terrifying. Good on them for fixing that immediately on all lifts with the problem. Sawduster and Bucksaw are Stadelis, the rest are Borvigs. I conjecture that the requirements for the drop dog switch is one of those things that's highly variable by jurisdiction, so it's something that gets put in by the installers, meaning it's likely that lifts by different manufacturers will have the same part.

I'm surprised Timberline isn't on the list; it's identical to King Pine. Both were originally installed the same year, but Timberline was moved to its present location on the summit ridgeline a few years later.

Of course it should have stopped sooner. And the switch that is being blamed, when near zero speed drops the dog long before the reverse speed will pick it up again. There were clearly two systems which did not work correctly here. Thank God luck was with the passengers!

#55 JHappel

Established User

• Validating
  • 70 Posts:

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:23 PM

Attached File  291158337-Sugarloaf-King-Pine-Rollback-Memo-and-Technical-Report.pdf (239.23K)
Number of downloads: 60

#56 teachme

Established User

• 200 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing, mountain climbing, mountain biking, and hiking.

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

Interesting 'suggestion' multiple times that things were tampered with before the inspector arrived. I wonder if that aspect almost became a criminal matter.

#57 Andy1962

Established User

• 209 Posts:

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:25 AM

View Postteachme, on 25 November 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

Interesting 'suggestion' multiple times that things were tampered with before the inspector arrived. I wonder if that aspect almost became a criminal matter.

I agree. Interesting to read the inspector's report, then to reread the material first posted on this thread from back in March when Sugarloaf was first issuing public responses to what happened. A lot of what was said back in March 2015 and reported on this thread was a pack of lies (in hindsight). Looks like there was not much honest reporting to the Public until the Inspectors technical report came out. Shame.

This post has been edited by Andy1962: 30 November 2015 - 08:26 AM

#58 Lift Dinosaur

Established User

• Industry II
  • 2,075 Posts:

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:17 AM

Sugarloaf's Rebuttal...
http://www.sugarloaf...eport-statement

Dino

This post has been edited by Lift Dinosaur: 05 December 2015 - 08:20 AM

"Things turn out best for the people that make the best of the way things turn out." A.L.

#59 JHappel

Established User

• Validating
  • 70 Posts:

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:26 AM

They just can't catch a break

http://www.presshera...afs-chairlifts/

Blown fuse cuts power to more than half of Sugarloaf’s chairlifts
Diesel backup power allowed resort employees to get passengers off the lifts, but service was down for about two hours.Lift service was interrupted Saturday at the Sugarloaf ski resort in Carrabassett Valley when a blown fuse knocked out power to much of the resort.

Spokesman Ethan Austin said the outage cut power to all of the chairs above the Sawduster lift. Diesel backup power on the lifts allowed resort employees to get passengers off the chairlifts, but service was down on more than half the lifts for about two hours.Austin said the outage was the result of a malfunctioning fuse on a utility pole. He said Sugarloaf electricians, working with Central Maine Power Co. crews, restored power by 1:30 p.m.

Austin said everything was back to normal for the remainder of the day.

#60 Sacdelic_Skier

Established User

• 164 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

Got to ride KP yesterday and woah, that is one nice lift!
The Ski Lift Enthusiast
http://sugarloafphotos.blogspot.com/

2 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users