Lift Construction Photos 2013

246 replies to this topic

#241 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

View Postfloridaskier, on 21 May 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

Anyone know why it has European style towerheads?

I don't have an answer, but Doppelmayr has built one or two gondolas/six packs with them each year for the past decade or so. The other places that have them are Tremblant, Mont Orford, Alpine Ski Club, Keystone, Sunday River, Beaver Creek, Mammoth, Durango, Northstar and Heavenly.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#242 DonaldMReif

Established User

• 1,980 Posts:

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostPeter, on 21 May 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

I don't have an answer, but Doppelmayr has built one or two gondolas/six packs with them each year for the past decade or so. The other places that have them are Tremblant, Mont Orford, Alpine Ski Club, Keystone, Sunday River, Beaver Creek, Mammoth, Durango, Northstar and Heavenly.

Not every Doppelmayr lift built since 1999 has them. I think they only appear on the high speed six packs and gondolas. For instance, they're on the River Run Gondola and the Buckaroo Express Gondola, but they're not on the Larkspur Express or the Rose Bowl Express, which are high speed quads. I think there might be some resort preference as to what type of towerheads (or lifting frames if that's the correct term) to have Doppelmayr use, but I note that the Mountaintop Express has the European-style towerheads that the Sea-to-Sky Gondola has on towers 9 and 14, but has towerheads similar in design to the lifting frames of the Avanti Express, Born Free Express and Orient Express lifts on the other 13 towers. I guess it's hard to tell why they didn't use a single lifting frame design for all of the towers:

Tower 14 (European style towerhead):
Posted Image

Tower 15 (the other style of towerhead):

Posted Image
YouTube channel for chairlift POV videos and other random stuff:
https://www.youtube....TimeQueenOfRome

#243 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:47 AM

View PostDonaldMReif, on 21 May 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

Not every Doppelmayr lift built since 1999 has them. I think they only appear on the high speed six packs and gondolas. For instance, they're on the River Run Gondola and the Buckaroo Express Gondola, but they're not on the Larkspur Express or the Rose Bowl Express, which are high speed quads. I think there might be some resort preference as to what type of towerheads (or lifting frames if that's the correct term) to have Doppelmayr use, but I note that the Mountaintop Express has the European-style towerheads that the Sea-to-Sky Gondola has on towers 9 and 14, but has towerheads similar in design to the lifting frames of the Avanti Express, Born Free Express and Orient Express lifts on the other 13 towers. I guess it's hard to tell why they didn't use a single lifting frame design for all of the towers:

Tower 14 (European style towerhead):
Posted Image

Tower 15 (the other style of towerhead):

Posted Image

You are confusing the two different American styles with the European ones. Your first picture is just the beefed up version used on more heavily loaded towers. The european ones have a different shape altogether and are used on every tower on the lifts that have them.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#244 vons

Established User

• Industry II
  • 940 Posts:

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

I think it may be that the european tower heads are used when the largest (heaviest) sheave size is used.

#245 Backbowlsbilly

Established User

• 259 Posts:

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

Here's a european tower head on the Purgatory Village Express at Durango. Buckaroo and Riverfront at Beaver Creek have the european tower heads too.
Posted Image

#246 DonaldMReif

Established User

• 1,980 Posts:

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

Ugh, they look so similar a casual observer wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Anyone got on-board footage of the Sea to Sky Gondola?
YouTube channel for chairlift POV videos and other random stuff:
https://www.youtube....TimeQueenOfRome

#247 snoloco

Established User

• 444 Posts:
  • Interests:Skiing
    Ski lifts
    Ski areas

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

Here's some.

https://www.youtube....h?v=tuv0rGrVgEQ

1 User(s) are reading this topic