Whitecap Mountains

32 replies to this topic

#1 skiersage

SAM student

• Administrator I
  • 858 Posts:

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:31 PM

Here are some pictures of whitecap mountains in Wisconsin. A must visit ski area for midwest skiers. it has fairly mountainous terrain. check em out:
Attached File  IMG_0595.JPG (1.68MB)
Number of downloads: 128
the big gap
Attached File  IMG_0596.JPG (2.47MB)
Number of downloads: 140
another view of the gap chair.
Attached File  IMG_0597.JPG (2.15MB)
Number of downloads: 109
A mountainous run
Attached File  IMG_0599.JPG (1.94MB)
Number of downloads: 92
A look from the eagles nest side of the gap chair.
Attached File  IMG_0616.JPG (1.95MB)
Number of downloads: 72
the other side of the gap chair
Attached File  IMG_0600.JPG (1.85MB)
Number of downloads: 84
a view of the quad lift
Attached File  IMG_0603.JPG (2.01MB)
Number of downloads: 124
This borvig could probably win the slowest and lowest chair awards. it is essentially a surface lift up to the first tower.
Attached File  IMG_0604.JPG (2.37MB)
Number of downloads: 181
I could name two things that are wrong with this scene.
Attached File  IMG_0607.JPG (2.16MB)
Number of downloads: 115
A view of a gnarly run
Attached File  IMG_0608.JPG (2.15MB)
Number of downloads: 80
a view up the same run
Attached File  IMG_0613.JPG (1.86MB)
Number of downloads: 86
The CTEC triple chair. This lift has different sheave trains than any other CTEC I have ever seen although I do not have a pic of those.
Attached File  IMG_0614.JPG (2.6MB)
Number of downloads: 78
an old T-bar tower. It looks Hall and was likely replaced by the triple.
-Sage

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And then find someone whose life is giving them vodka and have a party.
-Ron White

#2 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

Very nice! Are those going to be on the main website?

For the one that you see two things wrong with, one of them might be the fact that there doesn't appear to be a stop gate. What else do you see that I don't?

#3 skier14

Established User

• Industry II
  • 154 Posts:

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

View PostLift Kid, on Jan 20 2007, 09:20 PM, said:

Very nice! Are those going to be on the main website?

For the one that you see two things wrong with, one of them might be the fact that there doesn't appear to be a stop gate. What else do you see that I don't?

could it be the lift shack looks more like an out house than a lift shack? :rolleyes:

#4 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

Could an operator fit in there? I don't see one. It doesn't even have a big enough window to see very well.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#5 nathanvg

Established User

• 216 Posts:

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:15 AM

Whitecap is a blast. Very unique for the midwest. Like Sage said, the lift managment is in quite a bit of chaos. Lifts didn't appear to have people watching unloading when I was there too. I think they use one guy in the restraunt to watch the unloading of 4 different lifts. I also notice that they repainted the lifts. They used to be this sky blue, yellow, orange and green combination.

That gnarly run, is it grenoble? It has to be one of the frontside blacks. Did you ski any of the double blacks? I've always wanted to go back and ski the double blacks, but they've been closed when I've been there.

#6 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:32 AM

The lift shack looks like a lot of older shacks here in the midwest. Wild Mountain has a bunch like that and so does Hyland.

#7 skiersage

SAM student

• Administrator I
  • 858 Posts:

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

View PostSkier, on Jan 21 2007, 01:42 AM, said:

Could an operator fit in there? I don't see one. It doesn't even have a big enough window to see very well.

Yea I didn't see an op in there either. Maybe there is another set of controls in the quad lift shack? I don't know. The borvig (and all of the other lifts for that matter) are extremely slow. Even slower than beginner lifts at other hills for that matter. So really there is little chance of falling while unloading.

View Postnathanvg, on Jan 21 2007, 07:15 AM, said:

Whitecap is a blast. Very unique for the midwest. Like Sage said, the lift managment is in quite a bit of chaos. Lifts didn't appear to have people watching unloading when I was there too. I think they use one guy in the restraunt to watch the unloading of 4 different lifts. I also notice that they repainted the lifts. They used to be this sky blue, yellow, orange and green combination.

That gnarly run, is it grenoble? It has to be one of the frontside blacks. Did you ski any of the double blacks? I've always wanted to go back and ski the double blacks, but they've been closed when I've been there.

Was the triple multi colors when you were there? It was black while all of the other lifts were green. I am just wondering if it was originally a black lift or if it was green at one time like the others.

Yes that run is grenoble. It is a very fun run. The double blacks on the eagles nest side of the hill were not open because of snowmaking. I have never seen anyone else make snow on runs that likely cant be groomed. but there was enough snow to ski them and we did poach two of them. seeing as there is no ski patrol.

a couple more pics:
Attached File  IMG_0601.JPG (1.78MB)
Number of downloads: 64
another view of the big gap.
Attached File  IMG_0617.JPG (2.46MB)
Number of downloads: 59
the double black run St George with the chair in the background.
-Sage

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And then find someone whose life is giving them vodka and have a party.
-Ron White

#8 WBSKI

Whistler Skiier

• 1,164 Posts:
  • Interests:Downhill Skiing, Nordic Skiing, Web Development, Outdoors in general, ect.

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:53 PM

That ski area looks pretty cool. Not very busy and the runs look nice, Nice Pix.

#9 nathanvg

Established User

• 216 Posts:

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:52 PM

The triple was always black as far as I know. I forget which of the other lifts were multicolor when I was there, but I'm pretty sure the mile long and quad lifts were. Did you ski "the dragon" or "southern cross?" Those appeared to be the hardest double blacks? Were the double blacks real short? Fun? Any other pics of the double blacks?

#10 skier691

skier691

• Validating
  • 553 Posts:

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:05 AM

Nice pics. Yes, things are run at this WI area a little different. The CTEC towers were a nice seafoam green at one time. Also check out the staircase that leads to the ceiling at the summit chalet. I see there is still not enough snow to ski the liftline. Are they still doing the night skiing on the quad with ski access via tucker and trailer??? It was a quite the Cap experience.. Aldo the Borvig ran??? I never saw it move

#11 skiersage

SAM student

• Administrator I
  • 858 Posts:

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:46 AM

Does anyone notice anything alarming about the terminal in the picture?

Attached File(s)

-Sage

-Ron White

#12 LiftTech

Established User

• Industry II
  • 281 Posts:

Posted 11 March 2007 - 04:17 AM

View Postskiersage, on Mar 11 2007, 03:46 AM, said:

Does anyone notice anything alarming about the terminal in the picture?

I’d say they were pushing it on the available ram travel

#13 skier691

skier691

• Validating
  • 553 Posts:

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

I'd agree about the ram travel, maybe the fact the op is up in the Wine Hut, and the picture doesn't show the aligment issue thats there either. Skiing Whitecap is a eyeopening, wild west experience. I'll third the fact of them having only one op for the 4 lift unload areas, of which he could only see 2 ramps maybe. Toggle switches for stop buttons, tree clearance issues(watch your tips), cables on sideplates ETC.... Still great skiing if it snows.

This post has been edited by skier691: 11 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

#14 Lift Kid

Minnesota Skier!

• Industry I
  • 1,333 Posts:

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

View Postskier691, on Mar 11 2007, 04:30 PM, said:

I'd agree about the ram travel, maybe the fact the op is up in the Wine Hut, and the picture doesn't show the aligment issue thats there either. Skiing Whitecap is a eyeopening, wild west experience. I'll third the fact of them having only one op for the 4 lift unload areas, of which he could only see 2 ramps maybe. Toggle switches for stop buttons, tree clearance issues(watch your tips), cables on sideplates ETC.... Still great skiing if it snows.

Yikes! That makes me want to ski there REALLY badly.

#15 skiersage

SAM student

• Administrator I
  • 858 Posts:

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:45 PM

View PostLiftTech, on Mar 11 2007, 07:17 AM, said:

I’d say they were pushing it on the available ram travel

I was referring to how the terminal appears to be pulled forward. notice how the terminal towers are leaning forward. I am having trouble believing that they were installed that way.
-Sage

-Ron White

#16 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 11 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, that lift definitely looks messed up.
- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

#17 spunkyskier01

industry trainee

• Industry II
  • 379 Posts:

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

its a different place for sure, the double blacks were great the day i went, still powder to be found. i don't know who was watching the top of the quad, it cant be seen from the triples lift shack and no one was inside the abandoned restaurant, so i have no idea. also, its the only place i have ever been too that uses imported prinoth groomers. either way the terrain is worth the visit, and im looking forward to going back.
Everything is just loop-de-loops and flibertyjibbit

#18 skier691

skier691

• Validating
  • 553 Posts:

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:34 AM

My bad, the op was there, this time. My guess is that they were installed like that in '91, the front of the horz. beams would be aimed towards the ground, and out of visual level if not. But then again, who knows out there. Overall, they really need to look at their maintenance program and make serious changes before we read about it on this forum. There was only one lift there (in my opinion) that I wouldn't have immediately shut down and worked on. On another note, this is why all states need to adopt and enforce some sort of regulatory committee to oversee the safe operation/maintenance of aerial lifts.

"also, its the only place i have ever been too that uses imported prinoth groomers"
me too, ever hear the story how they dropped a T4 thru the ice on Weber Lake?

This post has been edited by skier691: 12 March 2007 - 10:35 AM

#19 chasl

Established User

• Industry II
  • 268 Posts:

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:56 AM

As near as I can tell, from looking at the rear of the terminal alignment. the rams and connection points look correct as well as the fact that the track rails look level. I would believe right or wrong the terminal was built that way.
I have seen other terminals with forward leaning legs if that is what you are refering to.

Further more, if the legs were that out of wack even the worst mechanic (and or a brain dead manager) out there would not let that lift run. I hope.

#20 Peter

Established User

• 4,314 Posts:

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:08 PM

I have seen other lifts like that with the angled legs, but not CTECs. Here are some pictures of the same terminal design at other resorts. I don't think it seems very CTEC-like to have angled legs. None of their tri-leg terminals that I have seen have been designed that way.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Peter: 14 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

- Peter<br />
Liftblog.com

1 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users